RE: [NTB] Replace NoteTab in Windows 7

  • Praising Jesus
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
      Actually the registry hack only works one program at a time. The one you
      reference changes which editor view the source code in IE. Open an INI file
      and you'll still get notepad

      ---Mike

      From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
        I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of NoteTab's known file
        types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens for any text files for
        me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my 'registry hack'. That should be
        added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section would be enough? Easy
        enough for someone to try.

        Regards,
        John

        From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

        > Hi Ray,
        >
        > On 03 Jun 10 03:08 Ray Shapp <ras45@... <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net>
        <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net> <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net>
        <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net> > said:

        >> I have associated all TXT files with NoteTab, but that doesn't help
        >> when I click on "view source" in MSIE or Firefox.
        >>
        >> Has anyone developed a work-around to permit "view source" to
        >> display web page markup within NoteTab?
        >
        > In IE8 I would hit F12 to bring up the "Developer Tools" window then,
        > ALT-F, C, O and pick NoteTab from the dialogue.
        >
        > In FF just install an Add-on that allows you to select your choice of
        > application for editing pages. I use "Web Developer"
        > (http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/) qwhich provides a
        > similar set of features to the Developer Tools window of IE. Under its
        > "Tools" menu has a facility to allow you to add an "Edit Page" option.
        > There are many other Add-ons that will do it if you don't want all the
        > facilities of Web Developer.
        >
        > Greg

      • Praising Jesus
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
          I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
          tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
          you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
          Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
          changed a few associations.

          ---Mike

          On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

          > I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
          > NoteTab's known file
          > types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
          > for any text files for
          > me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
          > 'registry hack'. That should be
          > added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
          > would be enough? Easy
          > enough for someone to try.
          >

          > Regards,
          > John

        • Praising Jesus
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
            I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
            tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
            you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
            Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
            changed a few associations.

            ---Mike

            On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

            > I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
            > NoteTab's known file
            > types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
            > for any text files for
            > me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
            > 'registry hack'. That should be
            > added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
            > would be enough? Easy
            > enough for someone to try.
            >

            > Regards,
            > John

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
              There is only one registry entry that needs to be changed, which I identified. Even that one may not
              need to be done, if NoteTab's own file association extends to .htm files. Anything you want NoteTab
              to open should be listed in NoteTab's own Associations tab. You don't need to keep hacking the
              registry.

              Regards,
              John

              I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
              tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
              you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
              Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
              changed a few associations.

              ---Mike

              On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

              > I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
              > NoteTab's known file
              > types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
              > for any text files for
              > me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
              > 'registry hack'. That should be
              > added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
              > would be enough? Easy
              > enough for someone to try.
              >

              > Regards,
              > John

            • Brian Mailman
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                John Shotsky wrote:
                > There is only one registry entry that needs to be changed, which I
                > identified. Even that one may not need to be done, if NoteTab's own
                > file association extends to .htm files. Anything you want NoteTab to
                > open should be listed in NoteTab's own Associations tab.

                If you're using Windows, right-click (assuming you're right-handed) on
                an *.htm file and pick "Edit" from the drop-down menu. That will tell
                you if NoteTab is set to open those files.

                B/
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                  I simply right click on a file, choose Open with... and browse to teh
                  file I want to open it, I check the box "do this everytime" or something
                  similar, and it becomes the default for that file type.

                  On 6/10/2010 5:33 PM, Praising Jesus wrote:
                  > I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
                  > tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
                  > you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
                  > Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
                  > changed a few associations.
                  >

                  > ---Mike
                  >
                  > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky<jshotsky@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
                  >> NoteTab's known file
                  >> types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
                  >> for any text files for
                  >> me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
                  >> 'registry hack'. That should be
                  >> added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
                  >> would be enough? Easy
                  >> enough for someone to try.
                  >>

                  >> Regards,
                  >> John

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  Flockmaster,

                  http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                  Play AstroEmpires
                  http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420

                  "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

                  AND: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

                  Robert Anson Heinlein, 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' 1966

                  Politicians invest in "Pork futures", the more PORK, the better their future.
                  WE need a "Low Cholesterol Diet."
                • df03438
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4 8:35 PM
                    I have read a few BAT files on several sites mentioned earlier in this
                    thread and that got me thinking. I resorted back to how NOTEtab did it
                    in XP, using the NOTEPAD.STB file. So I create the following BAT file
                    to work in Windows 7:

                    Create a ReplaceNotepad.BAT file with these content:

                    rem START BATCH COMMANDS
                    rem PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT USER ACCOUNT CONTROL (UAC) IS TURNED OFF AND
                    PC HAS BEEN REBOOTED FIRST!
                    rem If you are using VISTA/WIN7 x32 version, then edit this file first
                    by adding "rem " in front of every line that contains the phrase
                    "syswow64?. Then run the script again.
                    @echo on
                    PAUSE

                    REM Create Notetab's Stub INI file
                    echo [Application]>%temp%\notepad.ini
                    echo ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
                    Light\NoteTab.exe">>%temp%\notepad.ini

                    REM *** 64bit
                    REM takeown /f c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe
                    REM cacls c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe /G Administrators:F
                    REM copy c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe
                    c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe.backup
                    REM copy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\notetab.stb"
                    c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe /y
                    REM Copy "%temp%\Notepad.ini" c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.ini

                    takeown /f c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
                    cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G Administrators:F

                    takeown /f c:\windows\notepad.exe
                    cacls c:\windows\notepad.exe /G Administrators:F

                    copy c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
                    c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe.backup
                    copy c:\windows\notepad.exe c:\windows\notepad.exe.backup

                    copy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\notepad.stb"
                    c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /y
                    copy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\notepad.stb" c:\windows\notepad.exe
                    /y

                    Copy "%temp%\Notepad.ini" c:\windows\system32\notepad.ini /y
                    Copy "%temp%\Notepad.ini" c:\windows\notepad.ini /y
                    @echo on
                    rem END BATCH COMMANDS
                    ------------------------------

                    THATS IT !!!

                    /

                    > >> ---Mike
                    > >>
                    > >> From: notetab@yahoogroups.com<notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:
                    > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:
                    > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                    > >>
                    > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                    [mailto:
                    > >> notetab@yahoogroups.com<notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                    > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                    > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>> ]
                    On
                    > >> Behalf Of
                    > >> Ray Shapp
                    > >> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:48 AM
                    > >> To: notetab@yahoogroups.com<notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:
                    > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:
                    > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                    > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                    > >> Subject: Fw: [NTB] Replace NoteTab in Windows 7
                    > >>
                    > >> Hi Greg,
                    > >>
                    > >> Many thanks!
                    > >>
                    > >> Ray Shapp

                    > >> From: "Greg
                    Chapman"gregchapmanuk@...<gregchapmanuk%40yahoo.co.uk><mailto:
                    > >> gregchapmanuk%40yahoo.co.uk<gregchapmanuk%2540yahoo.co.uk>>

                  • Lou
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 17, 2010
                      I just checked back at the thread for Notepad replacement in
                      Windows7. I do not see any comments from the people at Fookes. Has
                      Notetab beome orphened?

                      Warm Regards,
                      Lou
                      Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.
                    • Eb
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 19, 2010
                        I haven't migrated to my Windows 7 platform yet (Inertia), so I find it interesting, how you approach batchfiles in an ever more restrictive environment.

                        But why turn echo back on at the end of the program? Does Win7 retain the setting across batchfiles?

                        By the way, a number of lines have wrapped in the Yahoo post, and people will have big problems determining where commands wrapped to the next line. You can see the wraps in the quoted "> " part below.

                        Eb

                        Typos in this text are NOT caused by my fat fingers, nor by my dislexia. They are caused by a kink in the fiber optics to my PC.