The Version of This File Is Not Compatible With The Version of Windows

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
      To All,

      I am migrating to a new PC running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

      When I double-click on an outline file (OTL), I see the following error, "The
      version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're
      running".

      In Control Panel > Default Programs, OTL files are already associated with
      NoteTab Pro 6.12/fv. Also, if I use the File > Open... menu from within
      NoteTab, any outline opens and can be manipulated normally.

      Possibly relevant: NotePro.exe is installed in D:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab
      Pro 6.

      What must I do to convince Win7 to launch OTL files normally?

      Thanks for your help.

      Ray Shapp
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2010
        WOW, that's odd. I have Win 7 64bit as well. I've had no such problems.

        There are things to try like in NoteTab associate the .otl extension to
        Notetab

        View > Options > File Filters..

        See if that is in place, if not, add it.

        Good luck.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2010
          Hi Laurie,

          Thanks for your reply.

          <<There are things to try like in NoteTab associate the .otl extension to
          Notetab >>

          I had already done that. The problem is not with file associations. The error
          message says the version of NTP is incompatible with Win7 64-bit.

          I just discovered the problem. I was running version 6.12/fv. Moments ago, I
          updated to v6.2/fv, and the compatibility issue disappeared.

          Other strange behavior that is now corrected:

          I didn't have the Swiss flag icon on OTL files nor on NotePro.exe itself.

          None of my clip libraries were visible on the clipbar nor when I pressed F4 to
          bring up the clipbook panel.

          When I had double-clicked on any of the CLB library files, I was getting the
          same incompatibility error message as was displayed when I had tried to open
          an OTL file.

          I am mentioning all these problems that are now corrected because others may
          one day search the archive and they will see that the upgrade to version 6.2
          fixes all these issues.

          Ray Shapp