RE: [NTB] Replace NoteTab in Windows 7

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2010
      Interestingly, I like the EditPad Pro editor because of its better support for Unicode and hex. So,
      I leave it as the default for 'View Source' because I think it does a better job at highlighting,
      etc. If I think I need to, I copy it and paste into NoteTab for further processing. EditPad Pro
      doesn't support regex clips, so it's out of the running for my main text editor, but it does have
      its points.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2010
        Hi Greg,

        Many thanks!

        Ray Shapp

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
          Try this:

          http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12617/how-to-replace-notepad-in-windows-7/

          ---Mike

          >> I have associated all TXT files with NoteTab, but that doesn't help
          >> when I click on "view source" in MSIE or Firefox.
          >>
          >> Has anyone developed a work-around to permit "view source" to
          >> display web page markup within NoteTab?
          >
          > In IE8 I would hit F12 to bring up the "Developer Tools" window then,
          > ALT-F, C, O and pick NoteTab from the dialogue.
          >
          > In FF just install an Add-on that allows you to select your choice of
          > application for editing pages. I use "Web Developer"
          > (http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/) qwhich provides a
          > similar set of features to the Developer Tools window of IE. Under its
          > "Tools" menu has a facility to allow you to add an "Edit Page" option.
          > There are many other Add-ons that will do it if you don't want all the
          > facilities of Web Developer.
          >
          > Greg

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
            Or, you can edit your registry.
            Search for:
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor
            Edit the data to replace Notepad with your full path to NotePro.exe
            Done.

            Regards,
            John

            >> I have associated all TXT files with NoteTab, but that doesn't help
            >> when I click on "view source" in MSIE or Firefox.
            >>
            >> Has anyone developed a work-around to permit "view source" to
            >> display web page markup within NoteTab?
            >
            > In IE8 I would hit F12 to bring up the "Developer Tools" window then,
            > ALT-F, C, O and pick NoteTab from the dialogue.
            >
            > In FF just install an Add-on that allows you to select your choice of
            > application for editing pages. I use "Web Developer"
            > (http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/) qwhich provides a
            > similar set of features to the Developer Tools window of IE. Under its
            > "Tools" menu has a facility to allow you to add an "Edit Page" option.
            > There are many other Add-ons that will do it if you don't want all the
            > facilities of Web Developer.
            >
            > Greg

          • Praising Jesus
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
              Actually the registry hack only works one program at a time. The one you
              reference changes which editor view the source code in IE. Open an INI file
              and you'll still get notepad

              ---Mike

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of NoteTab's known file
                types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens for any text files for
                me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my 'registry hack'. That should be
                added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section would be enough? Easy
                enough for someone to try.

                Regards,
                John

                From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

                > Hi Ray,
                >
                > On 03 Jun 10 03:08 Ray Shapp <ras45@... <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net>
                <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net> <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net>
                <mailto:ras45%40optonline.net> > said:

                >> I have associated all TXT files with NoteTab, but that doesn't help
                >> when I click on "view source" in MSIE or Firefox.
                >>
                >> Has anyone developed a work-around to permit "view source" to
                >> display web page markup within NoteTab?
                >
                > In IE8 I would hit F12 to bring up the "Developer Tools" window then,
                > ALT-F, C, O and pick NoteTab from the dialogue.
                >
                > In FF just install an Add-on that allows you to select your choice of
                > application for editing pages. I use "Web Developer"
                > (http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/) qwhich provides a
                > similar set of features to the Developer Tools window of IE. Under its
                > "Tools" menu has a facility to allow you to add an "Edit Page" option.
                > There are many other Add-ons that will do it if you don't want all the
                > facilities of Web Developer.
                >
                > Greg

              • Praising Jesus
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                  I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
                  tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
                  you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
                  Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
                  changed a few associations.

                  ---Mike

                  On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

                  > I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
                  > NoteTab's known file
                  > types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
                  > for any text files for
                  > me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
                  > 'registry hack'. That should be
                  > added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
                  > would be enough? Easy
                  > enough for someone to try.
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  > John

                • Praising Jesus
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                    I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
                    tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
                    you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
                    Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
                    changed a few associations.

                    ---Mike

                    On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

                    > I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
                    > NoteTab's known file
                    > types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
                    > for any text files for
                    > me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
                    > 'registry hack'. That should be
                    > added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
                    > would be enough? Easy
                    > enough for someone to try.
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    > John

                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                      There is only one registry entry that needs to be changed, which I identified. Even that one may not
                      need to be done, if NoteTab's own file association extends to .htm files. Anything you want NoteTab
                      to open should be listed in NoteTab's own Associations tab. You don't need to keep hacking the
                      registry.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
                      tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
                      you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
                      Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
                      changed a few associations.

                      ---Mike

                      On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

                      > I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
                      > NoteTab's known file
                      > types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
                      > for any text files for
                      > me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
                      > 'registry hack'. That should be
                      > added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
                      > would be enough? Easy
                      > enough for someone to try.
                      >

                      > Regards,
                      > John

                    • Brian Mailman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                        John Shotsky wrote:
                        > There is only one registry entry that needs to be changed, which I
                        > identified. Even that one may not need to be done, if NoteTab's own
                        > file association extends to .htm files. Anything you want NoteTab to
                        > open should be listed in NoteTab's own Associations tab.

                        If you're using Windows, right-click (assuming you're right-handed) on
                        an *.htm file and pick "Edit" from the drop-down menu. That will tell
                        you if NoteTab is set to open those files.

                        B/
                      • Jeff
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
                          I simply right click on a file, choose Open with... and browse to teh
                          file I want to open it, I check the box "do this everytime" or something
                          similar, and it becomes the default for that file type.

                          On 6/10/2010 5:33 PM, Praising Jesus wrote:
                          > I fired up regedit and searched for notepad.exe, kept hitting F3 and got
                          > tired when I hit 75 and there were still 3 categories to go. I don't think
                          > you can hack enough entries to change everything that points to notepad.exe.
                          > Glad yours did what you wanted, but it didn't replace notepad, you just
                          > changed a few associations.
                          >

                          > ---Mike
                          >
                          > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, John Shotsky<jshotsky@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> I don't, but that's probably because I earlier set up .ini files as one of
                          >> NoteTab's known file
                          >> types. (View, Options, Associations). It's been a while, but NoteTab opens
                          >> for any text files for
                          >> me by double clicking, and it opens View Source as well thanks to my
                          >> 'registry hack'. That should be
                          >> added to the associations. Hmm.wonder if placing .htm files in that section
                          >> would be enough? Easy
                          >> enough for someone to try.
                          >>

                          >> Regards,
                          >> John

                          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                          Flockmaster,

                          http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                          Play AstroEmpires
                          http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420

                          "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

                          AND: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

                          Robert Anson Heinlein, 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' 1966

                          Politicians invest in "Pork futures", the more PORK, the better their future.
                          WE need a "Low Cholesterol Diet."
                        • df03438
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 4, 2010
                            I have read a few BAT files on several sites mentioned earlier in this
                            thread and that got me thinking. I resorted back to how NOTEtab did it
                            in XP, using the NOTEPAD.STB file. So I create the following BAT file
                            to work in Windows 7:

                            Create a ReplaceNotepad.BAT file with these content:

                            rem START BATCH COMMANDS
                            rem PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT USER ACCOUNT CONTROL (UAC) IS TURNED OFF AND
                            PC HAS BEEN REBOOTED FIRST!
                            rem If you are using VISTA/WIN7 x32 version, then edit this file first
                            by adding "rem " in front of every line that contains the phrase
                            "syswow64?. Then run the script again.
                            @echo on
                            PAUSE

                            REM Create Notetab's Stub INI file
                            echo [Application]>%temp%\notepad.ini
                            echo ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab
                            Light\NoteTab.exe">>%temp%\notepad.ini

                            REM *** 64bit
                            REM takeown /f c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe
                            REM cacls c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe /G Administrators:F
                            REM copy c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe
                            c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe.backup
                            REM copy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\notetab.stb"
                            c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.exe /y
                            REM Copy "%temp%\Notepad.ini" c:\windows\syswow64\notepad.ini

                            takeown /f c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
                            cacls c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /G Administrators:F

                            takeown /f c:\windows\notepad.exe
                            cacls c:\windows\notepad.exe /G Administrators:F

                            copy c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe
                            c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe.backup
                            copy c:\windows\notepad.exe c:\windows\notepad.exe.backup

                            copy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\notepad.stb"
                            c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /y
                            copy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\notepad.stb" c:\windows\notepad.exe
                            /y

                            Copy "%temp%\Notepad.ini" c:\windows\system32\notepad.ini /y
                            Copy "%temp%\Notepad.ini" c:\windows\notepad.ini /y
                            @echo on
                            rem END BATCH COMMANDS
                            ------------------------------

                            THATS IT !!!

                            /

                            > >> ---Mike
                            > >>
                            > >> From: notetab@yahoogroups.com<notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:
                            > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:
                            > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                            > >>
                            > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                            [mailto:
                            > >> notetab@yahoogroups.com<notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                            > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                            > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>> ]
                            On
                            > >> Behalf Of
                            > >> Ray Shapp
                            > >> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:48 AM
                            > >> To: notetab@yahoogroups.com<notetab%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:
                            > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>> <mailto:
                            > >> notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                            > >> <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com<notetab%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                            > >> Subject: Fw: [NTB] Replace NoteTab in Windows 7
                            > >>
                            > >> Hi Greg,
                            > >>
                            > >> Many thanks!
                            > >>
                            > >> Ray Shapp

                            > >> From: "Greg
                            Chapman"gregchapmanuk@...<gregchapmanuk%40yahoo.co.uk><mailto:
                            > >> gregchapmanuk%40yahoo.co.uk<gregchapmanuk%2540yahoo.co.uk>>

                          • Lou
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 17, 2010
                              I just checked back at the thread for Notepad replacement in
                              Windows7. I do not see any comments from the people at Fookes. Has
                              Notetab beome orphened?

                              Warm Regards,
                              Lou
                              Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.
                            • Eb
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 19, 2010
                                I haven't migrated to my Windows 7 platform yet (Inertia), so I find it interesting, how you approach batchfiles in an ever more restrictive environment.

                                But why turn echo back on at the end of the program? Does Win7 retain the setting across batchfiles?

                                By the way, a number of lines have wrapped in the Yahoo post, and people will have big problems determining where commands wrapped to the next line. You can see the wraps in the quoted "> " part below.

                                Eb

                                Typos in this text are NOT caused by my fat fingers, nor by my dislexia. They are caused by a kink in the fiber optics to my PC.