Cursor and highlighting

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 11 , May 11, 2010
      Can I be the only person with the following problem?

      For years I was used to placing the mouse pointer within a word and clicking once to set the cursor there.
      Clicking twice highlighted the word.
      Clicking three times highlighted the sentence containing the word.

      I encounter different behavior in NoteTab (6.2/fv).

      Clicking three times seems to be the same as clicking twice.

      Worse than that, though, clicking once often highlights a string of characters without regard for word boundaries. So, placing the mouse pointer within a word, clicking once, and typing a character to be inserted, will replace the entire highlighted string.

      Fortunately, there is the Edit/Undo command. This behavior is nonetheless quite annoying.

      Can I be the only person who encounters this problem?

      Bruce
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , May 11, 2010
        For me, the three-click does not work, but the two-click is reliable. I never get anything highlighted with one click.

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 11 , May 11, 2010
          For me, clicking (1, 2 & 3) works as advertised in both NTB STD 5.8/fv &
          NTB STD 6.2/fv.

          1) Does the "string of characters" span two lines? If so, you may be moving
          the mouse slightly vertically when you click and your motion sensitivity
          (speed),
          may be set too high.

          2) Check your mouse parameters (Control panel | Mouse) for both the
          double-click speed and Pointer speed (slow either or both way down) and
          see if the problem persists.

          3) Standard Windoze remedial procedure: REINSTALL (mouse driver) <g>

          HTH, Art

          At 05-11-10 05:23, you wrote:
          >Can I be the only person with the following problem?
          >
          >For years I was used to placing the mouse pointer within a word and
          >clicking once to set the cursor there.
          >Clicking twice highlighted the word.
          >Clicking three times highlighted the sentence containing the word.
          >
          >I encounter different behavior in NoteTab (6.2/fv).
          >
          >Clicking three times seems to be the same as clicking twice.
          >
          >Worse than that, though, clicking once often highlights a string of
          >characters without regard for word boundaries. So, placing the mouse
          >pointer within a word, clicking once, and typing a character to be
          >inserted, will replace the entire highlighted string.
          >
          >Fortunately, there is the Edit/Undo command. This behavior is nonetheless
          >quite annoying.
          >
          >Can I be the only person who encounters this problem?
          >
          >Bruce

        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 11 , May 11, 2010
            Op 11-mei-10, om 23:27 heeft Art Kocsis het volgende geschreven:

            >> I encounter different behavior in NoteTab (6.2/fv).
            >>
            >> Clicking three times seems to be the same as clicking twice.

            Same here. Same version, same behaviour
            --
            Adrien
          • loro
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2010
              bruce.somers@... wrote:
              >Clicking three times highlighted the sentence containing the word.
              >
              >I encounter different behavior in NoteTab (6.2/fv).
              >
              >Clicking three times seems to be the same as clicking twice.

              It has always been that way. To select the line/paragraph you need to
              single-click in the left margin, just to the left of where the line
              begins. The cursor arrow changes direction when you are over the right spot.

              Lotta
            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2010
                Thanks for the tips, Art. I'll experiment with those.

                Bruce

              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2010
                  Thanks, Lotta.

                  > loro <tabbie@...>

                  > It has always been that way. To select the line/paragraph you need to
                  > single-click in the left margin, just to the left of where the line
                  > begins. The cursor arrow changes direction when you are over the right spot.

                  That seems always to select a line, not a sentence or a paragraph.

                  Is it explained somewher in Help?

                  Bruce

                • loro
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2010
                    bruce.somers@... wrote:
                    > > It has always been that way. To select the line/paragraph you need to
                    > > single-click in the left margin, just to the left of where the line
                    > > begins. The cursor arrow changes direction when you are over the
                    > right spot.
                    >
                    >That seems always to select a line, not a sentence or a paragraph.

                    Sorry, I didn't think about word wrap. If WW is on, single-click
                    selects the line and double-click selects the paragraph (regardless
                    in front of which line you click).

                    >Is it explained somewher in Help?

                    Don't find anything. But I found this which I didn't know.

                    "Double-clicking on the hint line in the status bar all the text in
                    the current document."

                    Lotta
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 13, 2010
                      I wrote:
                      >But I found this which I didn't know.
                      >
                      >"Double-clicking on the hint line in the status bar all the text in
                      >the current document."

                      Should be:
                      Double-clicking on the hint line in the status bar SELECTS all the
                      text in the current document.

                      Sigh.
                      Lotta
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 13, 2010
                        I'd never paid much attention to single vs double vs treble clicking.
                        After some testing between 4.95 light, 6.2/fv 6.2 light and 6.2 standard
                        I think the different behavior is attributable to light+standard vs pro.
                        AFAICT light and standard (probably 4.95 thru 6.2) exhibit the triple
                        click behavior to select a paragraph (ie up to carriage return)

                        Also noticed something I never had before - in 6.2 pro - double click at
                        end of word or between two spaces between words (but not just in front
                        of a word) selects the containing group of words (ie delimited by most
                        special characters). I'm not positive but this *might* be the same set
                        that would be spanned by a regex w+.

                        So I don't think its a bug or a change - just a difference between the
                        two input controls used by different versions of Notetab. Pro using one,
                        Light+standard using the other.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 13, 2010
                          Alec Burgess wrote:
                          >I'd never paid much attention to single vs double vs treble clicking.
                          >After some testing between 4.95 light, 6.2/fv 6.2 light and 6.2 standard
                          >I think the different behavior is attributable to light+standard vs pro.

                          Oh yeah. You are right.

                          >Also noticed something I never had before - in 6.2 pro - double click at
                          >end of word or between two spaces between words (but not just in front
                          >of a word) selects the containing group of words (ie delimited by most
                          >special characters). I'm not positive but this *might* be the same set
                          >that would be spanned by a regex w+.

                          I get very funny behavior in 6.1 and maybe inconsistent. When I
                          first tried what you describe above on a quoted word I thought it
                          selected the last quote and the word but not the first quote. Now it
                          all of a sudden selects the space and to EOL??? Maybe this has
                          changed during the development of v 6?

                          I also discovered something new (for me). If you click just before
                          the first OR last quotation mark the word including quotes are selected.

                          I go upgrade to 6.2.

                          Lotta