Language: month names

  • helvetica_switzerland
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8 3:40 PM
      Hi all. I have to use the Swiss-German version of Windows but my NoteTab Pro is English of course. I have a little clip which just asks me for a name then inserts a line into the txt I am working on, which will give the name of the person who has contributed an image to a website I look after, and the month and year.
      Problem is, when I use the
      , ^$GetDate(mmm, yyyy)$
      to add the month and year, it appears to look in the Windows default and gives the month in German. April, September, November are the same in both languages but May is written as Mai, June as Juni, July as Juli and seeing as my website is primarily used by English-speaking people as an academic reference site, the months should be in English.
      Can anyone think of any lines that I can add to the clip to make it write the months in English ?

      Thanks for any suggestions !
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9 6:21 AM
        Hi
        try this one should work
        H="months"
        ^!Replace "Mai" >> "May" S
        ^!Replace "Juni" >> "June" S
        ^!Replace "Juli" >> "July" S

        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > Hi all. I have to use the Swiss-German version of Windows but my NoteTab
        > Pro is English of course. I have a little clip which just asks me for a
        > name then inserts a line into the txt I am working on, which will give the
        > name of the person who has contributed an image to a website I look after,
        > and the month and year.
        > Problem is, when I use the
        > , ^$GetDate(mmm, yyyy)$
        > to add the month and year, it appears to look in the Windows default and
        > gives the month in German. April, September, November are the same in both
        > languages but May is written as Mai, June as Juni, July as Juli and seeing
        > as my website is primarily used by English-speaking people as an academic
        > reference site, the months should be in English.
        > Can anyone think of any lines that I can add to the clip to make it write
        > the months in English ?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions !

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9 6:43 AM
          You might want \b after each, and R in the options. This will make sure there is not a longer word
          that starts with any of those three objects. (Although if you were working on selection only, that
          wouldn't be a problem.)
          H="months"
          ^!Replace "Mai\b" >> "May" RS
          ^!Replace "Juni\b" >> "June" RS
          ^!Replace "Juli\b" >> "July" RS

          If you want to perform this globally for your entire document, make the options ARSTW. As long as
          you know you don't want any occurrences of those months in German, this will fix everything with one
          click.

          Regards,
          John

          > Hi all. I have to use the Swiss-German version of Windows but my NoteTab
          > Pro is English of course. I have a little clip which just asks me for a
          > name then inserts a line into the txt I am working on, which will give the
          > name of the person who has contributed an image to a website I look after,
          > and the month and year.
          > Problem is, when I use the
          > , ^$GetDate(mmm, yyyy)$
          > to add the month and year, it appears to look in the Windows default and
          > gives the month in German. April, September, November are the same in both
          > languages but May is written as Mai, June as Juni, July as Juli and seeing
          > as my website is primarily used by English-speaking people as an academic
          > reference site, the months should be in English.
          > Can anyone think of any lines that I can add to the clip to make it write
          > the months in English ?
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions !

        • loro
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9 7:33 AM
            helvetica_switzerland wrote:
            >Problem is, when I use the
            >, ^$GetDate(mmm, yyyy)$
            >to add the month and year, it appears to look in the Windows default
            >and gives the month in German. April, September, November are the
            >same in both languages but May is written as Mai, June as Juni, July
            >as Juli and seeing as my website is primarily used by
            >English-speaking people as an academic reference site, the months
            >should be in English.

            I'd split it up and get the year and month separately. Then you can
            use ^$StrRepace()$ to change the German months to English ones. If
            you nest 12 ^$StrRepace()$ you can get all months in one fell swoop.
            Unluckily, both for you and me, I don't know German, so the example
            below does Swedish to English, but it shouldn't be too hard to spot
            what to change. Watch out for line breaks in the line with the replacements.

            --------------------------------

            H="Get English Date"

            ^!Set %month%=^$GetDate(mmm)$
            ^!Set %year%=^$GetDate(yyyy)$

            ; Monster line follows
            ^!Set
            %month%=^$StrReplace("december";"December";^$StrReplace("november";"November";^$StrReplace("oktober";"October";^$StrReplace("september";"September";^$StrReplace("augusti";"August";^$StrReplace("juli";"July";^$StrReplace("juni";"june";^$StrReplace("maj";"May";^$StrReplace("april";"April";^$StrReplace("mars";"March";^$StrReplace("februari";"February";^$StrReplace("januari";"January";"^%month%";false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$
            ; End monster line

            ; Then do something with it.
            ^!Info ^%month%, ^%year%

            --------------------------------

            Lotta
          • helvetica_switzerland
            Message 5 of 10 , May 11 7:06 AM
              Many thanks to everyone who has helped. I don't understand the "H..." bit at the beginning though.

              Is that simply the name of the clip ?

              And to use it, do I need to use my usual
              > >, ^$GetDate(mmm, yyyy)$
              clip first and then run e.g. the one from Lotta ?
            • helvetica_switzerland
              Message 6 of 10 , May 11 7:37 AM
                Ignore my last message, everyone, I noticed that there were several line-breaks denoted by a "\"

                So one of the clip now looks like this:
                (If there are any "\" in the lines below - perhaps yahoo splits lines, then you need to delete them)

                ^!Set %month%=^$GetDate(mmm)$
                ^!Set %year%=^$GetDate(yyyy)$

                ^!Set %month%=^$StrReplace("Dezember";"December";^$StrReplace("November";"November";^$StrReplace("oktober";"October";^$StrReplace("september";"September";^$StrReplace("August";"August";^$StrReplace("Juli";"July";^$StrReplace("Juni";"June";^$StrReplace("Mai";"May";^$StrReplace("April";"April";^$StrReplace("März";"March";^$StrReplace("Februar";"February";^$StrReplace("Januar";"January";"^%month%";false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$;false;true)$

                Image Courtesy of Timeline Originals, ^%month%, ^%year%

                and it works great !

                Many many thanks!
              • Brian Mailman
                Message 7 of 10 , May 11 8:14 AM
                  helvetica_switzerland wrote:
                  > Many thanks to everyone who has helped. I don't understand the "H..."
                  > bit at the beginning though.
                  >
                  > Is that simply the name of the clip ?

                  Do you think the folks on the clip list are missing out on this
                  discussion here on the basic use list?

                  B/
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 11 10:09 AM
                    helvetica_switzerland wrote:
                    >Many thanks to everyone who has helped. I don't understand the
                    >"H..." bit at the beginning though.
                    >
                    >Is that simply the name of the clip ?
                    >
                    >And to use it, do I need to use my usual
                    > > >, ^$GetDate(mmm, yyyy)$
                    >clip first and then run e.g. the one from Lotta ?

                    I saw you figured it out later, but just to explain... Yes, the
                    H="..." is the heading, the name of the clip. If you right-click in
                    the combo box at the top of the clipbook and chose 'Open as
                    Document', you see the clips just like that. Including the heading in
                    our email examples also means you can copy the whole thing,
                    right-click in the clipbook window and chose 'Add from Clipboard' and
                    the whole thing will be added without further ado.

                    First now I realize that this is the basic list and we aren't
                    supposed to talk about clips here. Oops!

                    Lotta
                  • Hugo Paulissen
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 12 3:03 AM
                      Hi,

                      Big chance that you have a space in that line.

                      Hugo

                      BTW: this should be discussed on the clips list.

                      Lotta, I am getting a Syntax error message with the line
                      ^!Set %month%=^$GetDate( mmmm)$

                    • brother.gabriel
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 17 6:03 PM
                        Hello! I wrote a powerpro script that does this...