Re: [NTB] no cancel button

  • Bob Gorman
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
      Marcelo Bastos wrote:

      > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
      >
      > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
      > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers.

      I guess I'm there...

      > Yet it's a very dangerous feature.

      Bob
      2 of my favorite signatures:

      --
      A ship in a harbor is safe. But that is not what ships were built for...
      J.A. Shedd

      --
      Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life.
      -- Sophia Loren (1934- ) Italian Actress

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
        On 2010-04-29 19:58, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
        > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
        >
        > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
        > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
        > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
        > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
        > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

        In HELP find Changing Keyboard Shortcuts (just noticed its not in the
        index but if you go the Keyboard Shortcuts you'll find a link to at end
        of first paragraph). Use technique described to change shortcuts.dat so
        the shortcut is something you would never hit accidentally.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
          On 4/29/2010 7:58 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
          > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
          >
          > I never use the "Search& Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
          > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
          > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
          > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
          > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

          I use it all the time, one of the best things about notetab.
        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
            Interviewed by CNN on 29/4/2010 23:15, Don told the world:
            > On 4/29/2010 7:58 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
            >> Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
            >>
            >> I never use the "Search& Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
            >> many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
            >> a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
            >> least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
            >> the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).
            >>
            > I use it all the time, one of the best things about notetab.

            I believe you, because you ARE a HTML writer. When you are doing site
            maintenance, replacing stuff in a bunch files at once is a huge time-killer.

            OTOH, for many other sorts of work it doesn't make sense to work in more
            than one file at a time, or perhaps a few, related ones. I'm in this
            latter case. People who want mostly an "improved Notepad" are in this
            case. For us, having this thing a wrong keypress away from changing
            hundreds of files is a problem.

            That's why I asked for ways to turn the hotkey off. For me in
            particular, not for everybody. Turns out that there is a way, it's just
            not right there in the Config options; Alec Burgess pointed it out for
            me. Well, I didn't find a way to remove a keyboard shortcut, but I could
            change it to a more complex one so it's less likely to be hit on
            accidentally. So I changed mine from Ctrl+D to Ctrl+Shift+D.

            Still... I think there should be a more user-friendly way to do it. Or
            some other sort of safety feature, such as a big honking warning sign
            that could be easily turned off permanently (like with one of those
            "never show me this again" checkboxes web browsers are fond of) by
            experienced users.

            --
            MCBastos

            use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

            -=-=-
            ... Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
          • loro
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
              Adrien Verlee wrote:
              >There is a misunderstanding.
              >I didn't mean the general serach and replace function. I mean: Search
              >Disk (ctrl-D). In the window then, one can choose the replace-tab.
              >After the search operation, you got a window with "replace" "open",
              >and "cancel (or close)".
              >Accidently push on "replace", does what it say of course - you got a
              >window telling how many files are altered.
              >
              >... And yes, there is no option for a ctrl-Z. Done is done. And
              >yes... no bak-files, although it is checkend in options.

              Yeah, no CTRL+Z, but there is an option to make backups. Not the one
              in Options, that's only for normal editing, but right there in the
              Replace dialogue.

              What would be a nice feature is if there could be a way to make this
              option always default to making backups, because as all other
              dialogues it opens in the last used state. So if you temporarily
              disable backups, you must remember to tick the box the next time you
              run Disk Search. When I run a disk replace I always take a deep
              breath and count to three and actually read what it says on the
              labels and make sure Backup and Confirm are checked. So far so good -
              touch wood!

              I love this feature, but I agree that it's a little scary.

              Lotta
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
                Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                >
                > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't
                think
                > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers.
                Yet it's
                > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it
                up on
                > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

                Marcelo,

                You can disable the Search Disk hotkey. I experimented by adding a
                line as follows.
                Just make it some innocuous command that won't really effect anything
                critical.
                The line I used was,

                Ctrl+D View/Ruler

                Load the file 'shortcuts.dat' in the NoteTab home folder and add a
                line similar to the above.

                After editing and saving the file Close, then ReOpen NoteTab, Now,
                all this will do,
                if you mistakenly press Ctrl+D, the Search Disk hotkey, is toggle the
                page ruler off and on.

                ºvº SL_day# 120 - created 2010.04.30_00.43.08

                If you think dogs can't count,
                try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket
                and then give him only two of them.
                • -Phil Pastoret

                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
              • loro
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 29, 2010
                  I wrote:
                  >I love this feature, but I agree that it's a little scary.

                  Forgot to say that it really isn't such a big deal if the worst
                  happens. Since the dialogue remembers your last choices (directory,
                  file filter, ) it would be very easy to replace everything back
                  again. Still, it's of course best of you don't need to do that.

                  Lotta
                • Adrien Verlee
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 30, 2010
                    Op 30-apr-10, om 07:38 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

                    > Yeah, no CTRL+Z, but there is an option to make backups. Not the one
                    > in Options, that's only for normal editing, but right there in the
                    > Replace dialogue.

                    Yes Lotta, this is it! Overlookend that. Stupidly of me!
                    --
                    Adrien
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 30, 2010

                      You are not half as stupid as me who also wrote:

                      >>Since the dialogue remembers your last choices (directory,
                      >>file filter, ) it would be very easy to replace everything back
                      >>again.

                      Yeah, right. Unless you have deleted words or replaced them with a
                      word that occurs in other places too... Not too bright, me.

                      Better not make mistakes and check that backup is on, eh? ;-)

                      Lotta