Re: [NTB] Replace disaster...

  • Bob Gorman
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 29 5:40 PM

      .

      > FYI (for future): When you know the auto-save in 10 minutes was going to
      > trigger causing problems, you could have opened Task Manager (C+A+D) and
      > simply killed the Notetab procedure. It will exit immediately.

      Thanks for yet another option. I hope I'll never need it again.

      > ======
      > Not directly relevant to above problem but assuming you are using a PRO
      > or STD version (ie. with clipbar support) I have these three clips on my
      > clipbar:

      Yes, I have several clipbars...

      > (Bob - oops I see this is Notetab list not clips list but if
      > you want to add these and need help it s/b be okay to ask here if not
      > subscribed to the other list though I'm pretty sure you are).
      > H="Close ONE - Discard"
      > ^!Close DISCARD
      >
      > H="Close ALL - Discard"
      > ^!Close ALL,DISCARD
      >
      > H="Discard ALL+Exit"
      > ^!Close ALL,DISCARD
      > ^!Menu File/Exit

      Thanks for the extra options. Again, I hope I'll never need it.

      > =========
      > In this same thread someone else seemed to say they were d-clicking on
      > text files and opening them in an older version of Notetab (CORRECT?)
      >
      > You've probably already found this - two ways to double check correct
      > assignments for .TXT file:
      > (1) rClick (or Shift+rClick) on a text file in Windows Explorer - select
      > Open with ... check always use this file ... navigate to the correct
      > current version of Notetab.
      > (2) manually open Notetab - check that its correct version in About - in
      > Options-Associations add .TXT (or any other extensions you always want
      > to open in Notetab) - exit - open a test file from Explorer and verify
      > with About that you are now getting the desired version

      Thank you, I'll do it first thing in the morning.

      > --
      > Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail& WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

      Bob
      --
      I Thank God for giving us grapes;
      I thank Entrepreneurs for giving us wine.

    • Bob Gorman
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 29 5:44 PM
        Marcelo Bastos wrote:

        > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
        >
        > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
        > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers.

        I guess I'm there...

        > Yet it's a very dangerous feature.

        Bob
        2 of my favorite signatures:

        --
        A ship in a harbor is safe. But that is not what ships were built for...
        J.A. Shedd

        --
        Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life.
        -- Sophia Loren (1934- ) Italian Actress

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 29 5:49 PM
          On 2010-04-29 19:58, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
          > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
          >
          > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
          > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
          > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
          > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
          > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

          In HELP find Changing Keyboard Shortcuts (just noticed its not in the
          index but if you go the Keyboard Shortcuts you'll find a link to at end
          of first paragraph). Use technique described to change shortcuts.dat so
          the shortcut is something you would never hit accidentally.
        • Don
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 29 7:15 PM
            On 4/29/2010 7:58 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
            > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
            >
            > I never use the "Search& Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
            > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
            > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
            > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
            > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

            I use it all the time, one of the best things about notetab.
          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 29 7:58 PM
              Interviewed by CNN on 29/4/2010 23:15, Don told the world:
              > On 4/29/2010 7:58 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
              >> Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
              >>
              >> I never use the "Search& Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
              >> many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
              >> a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
              >> least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
              >> the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).
              >>
              > I use it all the time, one of the best things about notetab.

              I believe you, because you ARE a HTML writer. When you are doing site
              maintenance, replacing stuff in a bunch files at once is a huge time-killer.

              OTOH, for many other sorts of work it doesn't make sense to work in more
              than one file at a time, or perhaps a few, related ones. I'm in this
              latter case. People who want mostly an "improved Notepad" are in this
              case. For us, having this thing a wrong keypress away from changing
              hundreds of files is a problem.

              That's why I asked for ways to turn the hotkey off. For me in
              particular, not for everybody. Turns out that there is a way, it's just
              not right there in the Config options; Alec Burgess pointed it out for
              me. Well, I didn't find a way to remove a keyboard shortcut, but I could
              change it to a more complex one so it's less likely to be hit on
              accidentally. So I changed mine from Ctrl+D to Ctrl+Shift+D.

              Still... I think there should be a more user-friendly way to do it. Or
              some other sort of safety feature, such as a big honking warning sign
              that could be easily turned off permanently (like with one of those
              "never show me this again" checkboxes web browsers are fond of) by
              experienced users.

              --
              MCBastos

              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

              -=-=-
              ... Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
            • loro
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 29 10:38 PM
                Adrien Verlee wrote:
                >There is a misunderstanding.
                >I didn't mean the general serach and replace function. I mean: Search
                >Disk (ctrl-D). In the window then, one can choose the replace-tab.
                >After the search operation, you got a window with "replace" "open",
                >and "cancel (or close)".
                >Accidently push on "replace", does what it say of course - you got a
                >window telling how many files are altered.
                >
                >... And yes, there is no option for a ctrl-Z. Done is done. And
                >yes... no bak-files, although it is checkend in options.

                Yeah, no CTRL+Z, but there is an option to make backups. Not the one
                in Options, that's only for normal editing, but right there in the
                Replace dialogue.

                What would be a nice feature is if there could be a way to make this
                option always default to making backups, because as all other
                dialogues it opens in the last used state. So if you temporarily
                disable backups, you must remember to tick the box the next time you
                run Disk Search. When I run a disk replace I always take a deep
                breath and count to three and actually read what it says on the
                labels and make sure Backup and Confirm are checked. So far so good -
                touch wood!

                I love this feature, but I agree that it's a little scary.

                Lotta
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 29 11:04 PM
                  Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                  > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                  >
                  > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't
                  think
                  > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers.
                  Yet it's
                  > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                  > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it
                  up on
                  > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

                  Marcelo,

                  You can disable the Search Disk hotkey. I experimented by adding a
                  line as follows.
                  Just make it some innocuous command that won't really effect anything
                  critical.
                  The line I used was,

                  Ctrl+D View/Ruler

                  Load the file 'shortcuts.dat' in the NoteTab home folder and add a
                  line similar to the above.

                  After editing and saving the file Close, then ReOpen NoteTab, Now,
                  all this will do,
                  if you mistakenly press Ctrl+D, the Search Disk hotkey, is toggle the
                  page ruler off and on.

                  ºvº SL_day# 120 - created 2010.04.30_00.43.08

                  If you think dogs can't count,
                  try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket
                  and then give him only two of them.
                  • -Phil Pastoret

                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 29 11:10 PM
                    I wrote:
                    >I love this feature, but I agree that it's a little scary.

                    Forgot to say that it really isn't such a big deal if the worst
                    happens. Since the dialogue remembers your last choices (directory,
                    file filter, ) it would be very easy to replace everything back
                    again. Still, it's of course best of you don't need to do that.

                    Lotta
                  • Adrien Verlee
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 30 12:17 AM
                      Op 30-apr-10, om 07:38 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

                      > Yeah, no CTRL+Z, but there is an option to make backups. Not the one
                      > in Options, that's only for normal editing, but right there in the
                      > Replace dialogue.

                      Yes Lotta, this is it! Overlookend that. Stupidly of me!
                      --
                      Adrien
                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 30 9:03 AM

                        You are not half as stupid as me who also wrote:

                        >>Since the dialogue remembers your last choices (directory,
                        >>file filter, ) it would be very easy to replace everything back
                        >>again.

                        Yeah, right. Unless you have deleted words or replaced them with a
                        word that occurs in other places too... Not too bright, me.

                        Better not make mistakes and check that backup is on, eh? ;-)

                        Lotta