no cancel button

  • Adrien Verlee
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 29 5:51 AM
      (NoteTab pro)
      A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search and replace
      operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is no way
      back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but can't
      cancel the operation.
      Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.

      I hope this can fixed?
      --
      Adrien
    • Robert W
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 29 6:11 AM
        View, options, files, check make backups

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

        > (NoteTab pro)
        > A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search and replace
        > operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is no way
        > back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but can't
        > cancel the operation.
        > Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.
        >
        > I hope this can fixed?
        > --
        > Adrien

      • Diane Dahmen
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 29 6:17 AM
          Blah

          Robert W wrote:

          > View, options, files, check make backups
          >
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > (NoteTab pro)
          > > A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search and replace
          > > operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is no way
          > > back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but can't
          > > cancel the operation.
          > > Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.
          > >
          > > I hope this can fixed?
          > > --
          > > Adrien

          Diane J. Dahmen
          Bioinformatics Technical Writer
          The Jackson Laboratory
          600 Main St. Bar Harbor, ME 04609 USA
          (207) 288-6643
          http://www.informatics.jax.org
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 29 6:28 AM
            Op 29-apr-10, om 15:11 heeft Robert W het volgende geschreven:

            > View, options, files, check make backups

            That has always this way been. And still!

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> (NoteTab pro)
            >> A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search and replace
            >> operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is no way
            >> back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but can't
            >> cancel the operation.
            >> Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.
            >>
            >> I hope this can fixed?
            >> --
            >> Adrien

            Adrien
          • John Wallace
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 29 6:40 AM
              In the Replace window, I un-check the All Documents.

              The individual file, you should be able to click 'Undo' to put in back to
              what it was before.

              John

              _____

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 29 6:45 AM
                I have occasionally done the same. Ctrl+z = undo. Fixes the whole shebang at once.

                > A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search
                > and replace
                > operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is
                > no way
                > back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but
                > can't
                > cancel the operation.
                > Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.
                >
                > I hope this can fixed?
                > --
                > Adrien

                > notetab-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 29 6:59 AM
                  Adrien Verlee wrote:
                  > (NoteTab pro)
                  > A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search and replace
                  > operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is no way
                  > back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but can't
                  > cancel the operation.
                  > Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.
                  >
                  > I hope this can fixed?

                  Adrien,

                  Along with the other responses for file backups and Undo's try this.

                  Help > Help Topics - search for "Ctrl+Alt"
                  Ctrl+Alt interrupt Clip, console, or loading of many documents

                  ºvº SL_day# 119 - created 2010.04.29_08.51.51

                  If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
                  bite you;
                  that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
                  • -Mark Twain

                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                • johnta1
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 29 7:03 AM
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Robert W" <bwilcoxowosso@...> wrote:

                    > View, options, files, check make backups
                    >
                    > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > (NoteTab pro)
                    > > A disturbing error. When one perform the standard search and replace
                    > > operation, but accidently hit the replace button, there is no way
                    > > back! You get a dialog-window with how many files, etc. but can't
                    > > cancel the operation.
                    > > Worse! Notetab doesn't make bak-files.
                    > >
                    > > I hope this can fixed?
                    > > --
                    > > Adrien

                    I'd un-check the 'All Documents' in the Replace pop-up window.

                    The individual file should be able to 'Undo' in the edit menu?

                    John
                  • Bob Gorman
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 29 7:04 AM
                      A similar thing happened to me about a month ago.
                      I isolated some lines to a NoName01.txt and did a replace ^P^P with ^P
                      to eliminate blank lines. I expected it to say it had made about 40
                      replacements.

                      I got that terrible sinking feeling when it announced it had made about
                      15,638 replacements.

                      I typically keep about 8-10 files open, and ALL tabs went RED.

                      Fortunately, I went to Windows explorer, quickly created a new directory
                      and copied all the open files and their .bak files to it. I was able to
                      restore many of them, but my main project control file Projects.otl is
                      still missing about 400 blank lines, making it very difficult to read.

                      _2 thoughts:_
                      1. Where does NoteTabPro store the settings for the Find & Replace dialog's?
                      I noticed afterwards both the replace all and Case sensitive boxes were
                      checked which I almost never use. I don't know how they got checked, but
                      suspect it might have been because I accidentally, by right-clicking in
                      windows explorer got an older version of NoteTabPro.

                      Question 1:
                      How do we fix-up the right click options for NoteTab so they always
                      point to the newest version?

                      Suggestion 1.
                      Perhaps for a future version. I get into trouble with Replace ALL mostly
                      in .otl files which I use all the time. The existing options are only
                      Replace 1 instance
                      Replace ALL instances in this FILE.
                      I would suggest a 3rd option:
                      Replace all instances in this TOPIC.

                      Bob

                      --
                      Knowledge is NOT enough!
                      Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

                    • Adrien Verlee
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 29 7:30 AM
                        Op 29-apr-10, om 15:59 heeft hsavage het volgende geschreven:

                        > Along with the other responses for file backups and Undo's try this.

                        Thanks to all.
                        Nevertheless a cancel button would be nice for people in panic :-)
                        --
                        Adrien
                      • Bob Gorman

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 29 10:37 AM
                            Op 29-apr-10, om 16:30 heeft Adrien Verlee het volgende geschreven:

                            >> Along with the other responses for file backups and Undo's try this.
                            >

                            > Thanks to all.
                            > Nevertheless a cancel button would be nice for people in panic :-)

                            There is a misunderstanding.
                            I didn't mean the general serach and replace function. I mean: Search
                            Disk (ctrl-D). In the window then, one can choose the replace-tab.
                            After the search operation, you got a window with "replace" "open",
                            and "cancel (or close)".
                            Accidently push on "replace", does what it say of course - you got a
                            window telling how many files are altered.

                            ... And yes, there is no option for a ctrl-Z. Done is done. And
                            yes... no bak-files, although it is checkend in options.

                            Sure, a cancel or close button would fine in case you know that you
                            hit accidently the replace button!
                            --
                            Adrien
                          • John Wallace
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 29 1:53 PM
                              Wouldn't all of these files be in an 'edited' state, not being saved yet?
                              (changes not in effect until they are saved)

                              Try closing Notetab and when asked if the unsaved file needs saved to not
                              save it?

                              John

                              _____

[...]

                              http://www.KnCell. <http://www.KnCell.org> org
                              http://KnCell. <http://KnCell.org/blog> org/blog <http://blog.
                              <http://blog.KnCell.org> KnCell.org>

                            • Bob Gorman
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 29 2:29 PM
                                John Wallace wrote:

                                > Wouldn't all of these files be in an 'edited' state, not being saved yet?
                                > (changes not in effect until they are saved)
                                >
                                > Try closing Notetab and when asked if the unsaved file needs saved to not
                                > save it?
                                >
                                > John

                                Thank you John, that might well have been a much better solution.
                                Swapping the .baks with the originals took a bit of work.
                                However, when it happened, after the initial shock, I realized that I
                                had less than 10 minutes, before the automatic save would have done me
                                in, so I'm not ashamed of my quick decision.

                                Bob

                                --
                                A ship in a harbor is safe. But that is not what ships were built for...
                                J.A. Shedd

                              • Alec Burgess
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 29 4:41 PM
                                  On 2010-04-29 17:29, Bob Gorman wrote:
                                  > John Wallace wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Wouldn't all of these files be in an 'edited' state, not being saved
                                  > yet?
                                  > > (changes not in effect until they are saved)
                                  > >
                                  > > Try closing Notetab and when asked if the unsaved file needs saved
                                  > to not
                                  > > save it?
                                  > >
                                  > > John
                                  > >
                                  > Thank you John, that might well have been a much better solution.
                                  > Swapping the .baks with the originals took a bit of work.
                                  > However, when it happened, after the initial shock, I realized that I
                                  > had less than 10 minutes, before the automatic save would have done me
                                  > in, so I'm not ashamed of my quick decision.
                                  FYI (for future): When you know the auto-save in 10 minutes was going to
                                  trigger causing problems, you could have opened Task Manager (C+A+D) and
                                  simply killed the Notetab procedure. It will exit immediately.
                                  ======
                                  Not directly relevant to above problem but assuming you are using a PRO
                                  or STD version (ie. with clipbar support) I have these three clips on my
                                  clipbar: (Bob - oops I see this is Notetab list not clips list but if
                                  you want to add these and need help it s/b be okay to ask here if not
                                  subscribed to the other list though I'm pretty sure you are).
                                  H="Close ONE - Discard"
                                  ^!Close DISCARD

                                  H="Close ALL - Discard"
                                  ^!Close ALL,DISCARD

                                  H="Discard ALL+Exit"
                                  ^!Close ALL,DISCARD
                                  ^!Menu File/Exit

                                  These allow me to to skip save question for modified files and close one
                                  file, all files or all files and exit.
                                  =========
                                  In this same thread someone else seemed to say they were d-clicking on
                                  text files and opening them in an older version of Notetab (CORRECT?)

                                  You've probably already found this - two ways to double check correct
                                  assignments for .TXT file:
                                  (1) rClick (or Shift+rClick) on a text file in Windows Explorer - select
                                  Open with ... check always use this file ... navigate to the correct
                                  current version of Notetab.
                                  (2) manually open Notetab - check that its correct version in About - in
                                  Options-Associations add .TXT (or any other extensions you always want
                                  to open in Notetab) - exit - open a test file from Explorer and verify
                                  with About that you are now getting the desired version

                                • Marcelo Bastos
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 29 4:58 PM
                                    Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...

                                    I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
                                    many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
                                    a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                                    least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
                                    the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

                                    --
                                    MCBastos

                                    use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                                    -=-=-
                                    ... My fallacies are more logical than your fallacies.
                                  • Bob Gorman
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 29 5:40 PM
                                      Alec Burgess wrote:

                                      > On 2010-04-29 17:29, Bob Gorman wrote:

                                      .
                                      .
                                      .

                                      > FYI (for future): When you know the auto-save in 10 minutes was going to
                                      > trigger causing problems, you could have opened Task Manager (C+A+D) and
                                      > simply killed the Notetab procedure. It will exit immediately.

                                      Thanks for yet another option. I hope I'll never need it again.

                                      > ======
                                      > Not directly relevant to above problem but assuming you are using a PRO
                                      > or STD version (ie. with clipbar support) I have these three clips on my
                                      > clipbar:

                                      Yes, I have several clipbars...

                                      > (Bob - oops I see this is Notetab list not clips list but if
                                      > you want to add these and need help it s/b be okay to ask here if not
                                      > subscribed to the other list though I'm pretty sure you are).
                                      > H="Close ONE - Discard"
                                      > ^!Close DISCARD
                                      >
                                      > H="Close ALL - Discard"
                                      > ^!Close ALL,DISCARD
                                      >
                                      > H="Discard ALL+Exit"
                                      > ^!Close ALL,DISCARD
                                      > ^!Menu File/Exit

                                      Thanks for the extra options. Again, I hope I'll never need it.

                                      > =========
                                      > In this same thread someone else seemed to say they were d-clicking on
                                      > text files and opening them in an older version of Notetab (CORRECT?)
                                      >
                                      > You've probably already found this - two ways to double check correct
                                      > assignments for .TXT file:
                                      > (1) rClick (or Shift+rClick) on a text file in Windows Explorer - select
                                      > Open with ... check always use this file ... navigate to the correct
                                      > current version of Notetab.
                                      > (2) manually open Notetab - check that its correct version in About - in
                                      > Options-Associations add .TXT (or any other extensions you always want
                                      > to open in Notetab) - exit - open a test file from Explorer and verify
                                      > with About that you are now getting the desired version

                                      Thank you, I'll do it first thing in the morning.

                                      > --
                                      > Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail& WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

                                      Bob
                                      --
                                      I Thank God for giving us grapes;
                                      I thank Entrepreneurs for giving us wine.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 29 5:44 PM
                                        Marcelo Bastos wrote:

                                        > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                                        >
                                        > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
                                        > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers.

                                        I guess I'm there...

                                        > Yet it's a very dangerous feature.

                                        Bob
                                        2 of my favorite signatures:

                                        --
                                        A ship in a harbor is safe. But that is not what ships were built for...
                                        J.A. Shedd

                                        --
                                        Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life.
                                        -- Sophia Loren (1934- ) Italian Actress

                                      • Alec Burgess
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 29 5:49 PM
                                          On 2010-04-29 19:58, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                                          > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                                          >
                                          > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
                                          > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
                                          > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                                          > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
                                          > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

                                          In HELP find Changing Keyboard Shortcuts (just noticed its not in the
                                          index but if you go the Keyboard Shortcuts you'll find a link to at end
                                          of first paragraph). Use technique described to change shortcuts.dat so
                                          the shortcut is something you would never hit accidentally.
                                        • Don
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 29 7:15 PM
                                            On 4/29/2010 7:58 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                                            > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                                            >
                                            > I never use the "Search& Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
                                            > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
                                            > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                                            > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
                                            > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

                                            I use it all the time, one of the best things about notetab.
                                          • Marcelo Bastos
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 29 7:58 PM
                                              Interviewed by CNN on 29/4/2010 23:15, Don told the world:
                                              > On 4/29/2010 7:58 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                                              >> Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                                              >>
                                              >> I never use the "Search& Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't think
                                              >> many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers. Yet it's
                                              >> a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                                              >> least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it up on
                                              >> the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).
                                              >>
                                              > I use it all the time, one of the best things about notetab.

                                              I believe you, because you ARE a HTML writer. When you are doing site
                                              maintenance, replacing stuff in a bunch files at once is a huge time-killer.

                                              OTOH, for many other sorts of work it doesn't make sense to work in more
                                              than one file at a time, or perhaps a few, related ones. I'm in this
                                              latter case. People who want mostly an "improved Notepad" are in this
                                              case. For us, having this thing a wrong keypress away from changing
                                              hundreds of files is a problem.

                                              That's why I asked for ways to turn the hotkey off. For me in
                                              particular, not for everybody. Turns out that there is a way, it's just
                                              not right there in the Config options; Alec Burgess pointed it out for
                                              me. Well, I didn't find a way to remove a keyboard shortcut, but I could
                                              change it to a more complex one so it's less likely to be hit on
                                              accidentally. So I changed mine from Ctrl+D to Ctrl+Shift+D.

                                              Still... I think there should be a more user-friendly way to do it. Or
                                              some other sort of safety feature, such as a big honking warning sign
                                              that could be easily turned off permanently (like with one of those
                                              "never show me this again" checkboxes web browsers are fond of) by
                                              experienced users.

                                              --
                                              MCBastos

                                              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                                              -=-=-
                                              ... Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
                                            • loro
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 29 10:38 PM
                                                Adrien Verlee wrote:
                                                >There is a misunderstanding.
                                                >I didn't mean the general serach and replace function. I mean: Search
                                                >Disk (ctrl-D). In the window then, one can choose the replace-tab.
                                                >After the search operation, you got a window with "replace" "open",
                                                >and "cancel (or close)".
                                                >Accidently push on "replace", does what it say of course - you got a
                                                >window telling how many files are altered.
                                                >
                                                >... And yes, there is no option for a ctrl-Z. Done is done. And
                                                >yes... no bak-files, although it is checkend in options.

                                                Yeah, no CTRL+Z, but there is an option to make backups. Not the one
                                                in Options, that's only for normal editing, but right there in the
                                                Replace dialogue.

                                                What would be a nice feature is if there could be a way to make this
                                                option always default to making backups, because as all other
                                                dialogues it opens in the last used state. So if you temporarily
                                                disable backups, you must remember to tick the box the next time you
                                                run Disk Search. When I run a disk replace I always take a deep
                                                breath and count to three and actually read what it says on the
                                                labels and make sure Backup and Confirm are checked. So far so good -
                                                touch wood!

                                                I love this feature, but I agree that it's a little scary.

                                                Lotta
                                              • hsavage
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 29 11:04 PM
                                                  Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                                                  > Actually, I have been meaning to ask about this for a while...
                                                  >
                                                  > I never use the "Search & Replace Disk" feature. In fact, I don't
                                                  think
                                                  > many people do, or at least not often, except pro HTML writers.
                                                  Yet it's
                                                  > a very dangerous feature. I would like to be able to disable it, or at
                                                  > least the hotkey -- if I ever need to use it, I can always look it
                                                  up on
                                                  > the menus (I won't remember the hotkey anyway).

                                                  Marcelo,

                                                  You can disable the Search Disk hotkey. I experimented by adding a
                                                  line as follows.
                                                  Just make it some innocuous command that won't really effect anything
                                                  critical.
                                                  The line I used was,

                                                  Ctrl+D View/Ruler

                                                  Load the file 'shortcuts.dat' in the NoteTab home folder and add a
                                                  line similar to the above.

                                                  After editing and saving the file Close, then ReOpen NoteTab, Now,
                                                  all this will do,
                                                  if you mistakenly press Ctrl+D, the Search Disk hotkey, is toggle the
                                                  page ruler off and on.

                                                  ºvº SL_day# 120 - created 2010.04.30_00.43.08

                                                  If you think dogs can't count,
                                                  try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket
                                                  and then give him only two of them.
                                                  • -Phil Pastoret

                                                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                                • loro
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 29 11:10 PM
                                                    I wrote:
                                                    >I love this feature, but I agree that it's a little scary.

                                                    Forgot to say that it really isn't such a big deal if the worst
                                                    happens. Since the dialogue remembers your last choices (directory,
                                                    file filter, ) it would be very easy to replace everything back
                                                    again. Still, it's of course best of you don't need to do that.

                                                    Lotta
                                                  • Adrien Verlee
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 30 12:17 AM
                                                      Op 30-apr-10, om 07:38 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

                                                      > Yeah, no CTRL+Z, but there is an option to make backups. Not the one
                                                      > in Options, that's only for normal editing, but right there in the
                                                      > Replace dialogue.

                                                      Yes Lotta, this is it! Overlookend that. Stupidly of me!
                                                      --
                                                      Adrien
                                                    • loro
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 30 9:03 AM

                                                        You are not half as stupid as me who also wrote:

                                                        >>Since the dialogue remembers your last choices (directory,
                                                        >>file filter, ) it would be very easy to replace everything back
                                                        >>again.

                                                        Yeah, right. Unless you have deleted words or replaced them with a
                                                        word that occurs in other places too... Not too bright, me.

                                                        Better not make mistakes and check that backup is on, eh? ;-)

                                                        Lotta