How to give CSE HTML validator access to Clipbook?

  • manon_purple
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
      I changed computers/operating system and am currently working under Windows 7.
      I am used to work with NoteTab as an html editor for years already and always validate the page with the CSE HTML validator software, which appears with Shift+Control+F7.
      However, this does not work with my current installation. Access to the library where the results are created is denied, that is the message which appears in NoteTab once I try.
      It only works when I use notetab as an admin but that is for several reasons not very practical.
      So my question is how can I give CSE HTML validator software access to NoteTab for all users?
      I have to start asking somewhere, may I should as on a windows 7 forum, maybe at the HTML validator support site. no idea, but it might be the case someone here has it working properly and can tell me how to accomplish this. Any advice most welcome.
      Thank you for your time on this matter.
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
        You need to take control of the .exe and the folder. I install NoteTab in my own C:\Programs\NoteTab
        folder so Windows can't mess with it.

        Here's what you need to do:

        Right click your NoteTab icon and choose properties.

        Choose Compatibility tab.

        At the bottom, click Change settings for all users

        Click the Run this program as an administrator in the 'Compatibility for all users' tab, then OK,
        OK.

        Browse to the NoteTab folder with Windows Explorer and right click, properties.

        In the NoteTab Pro Properties dialog, select the security tab.

        Choose Advanced.

        In the Advanced Security Settings for NoteTab Pro dialog, choose the Permissions tab.

        Set 'Authenticated Users' permission to full control.

        Make sure Apply To is 'This folder, subfolders and files', then OK, OK, Ok.

        That should do it, but you might STILL have problems if you have UAC turned on - shadow copy may
        move things behind your back to 'protect' the Program Files folders. In that case, you should
        probably install as I described above. There is no rational reason for using Program Files other
        than it is a handy way to know where things are installed. Now that it is protected, it is worse
        than the problems it is trying to prevent.

        Regards,

        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
          John, thank you so much. I gave up on setting the permissions after trying several timnes, because I still had to run it as admin. I obviously did something wrong... But a reinstall in c:\Programs was soooo easy and worked like a charm. The issue is solved and headaches gone ;-)
          Thank you for your help!