Re: [NTB] Re: Newbie Question re: Basic Clipboard List

  • Bob McAllister
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 22, 2010
      On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:26 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
      > copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.

      Perhaps I should have extended the quoted material to include ...

      "You can also add text from other applications by copying it to
      Windows' clipboard. Open the Clipbook's list box shortcut menu and
      select Add from Clipboard."

      Which should take care of any "different sources" that are not able to
      be opened in NTB (albeit requiring two more clicks).

      Like Michael I thought that I was an experienced user but was unaware
      of such basic functionality until pushed back into the documentation
      while trying to "reverse engineer" Lotta's excellent work being
      developed through the Clip's list.

      Just goes to show that lists work best when newbies, mavens (and even
      sometimes, old lurkers) all contribute to the discussion.

      Bob McAllister
    • loro
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 22, 2010
        Bob McAllister wrote:
        >Perhaps I should have extended the quoted material to include ...
        >
        >"You can also add text from other applications by copying it to
        >Windows' clipboard. Open the Clipbook's list box shortcut menu and
        >select Add from Clipboard."
        >
        >Which should take care of any "different sources" that are not able to
        >be opened in NTB (albeit requiring two more clicks).

        True again. I didn't think about that option. I think the way we
        interpret a question, especially if everything isn't spelt out in
        great detail, is often colored by our own needs and experiences. In
        hindsight, I guess I assumed some degree of automation was desired,
        but the OP didn't really say that. Gosh, hope I'm not turning into a
        do-it-with-a-clip-even-if-it-isn't-needed person. I wouldn't want that. ;-)

        >Like Michael I thought that I was an experienced user but was unaware
        >of such basic functionality until pushed back into the documentation

        Maybe you were aware of it once. One forgets the things one doesn't
        use. I have probably glanced through information about the problems
        with getting a library path if the library is stored in Appdata more
        than once, but since I wouldn't dream of giving up my ini, it doesn't
        interest me very much so I forget.

        >Just goes to show that lists work best when newbies, mavens (and even
        >sometimes, old lurkers) all contribute to the discussion.

        Amen!

        Lotta
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 23, 2010
          Open a new NoteTab document.hold down CTRL+SHIFT and tap the P, that
          starts the Paste board. anything copied with this set will be pasted on
          that doc.

          On 4/22/2010 2:26 PM, loro wrote:
          > Bob wrote:
          >
          >> Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the
          >> Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity
          >> to do what you want.
          >>
          >> Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab
          >> does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected
          >> text into the current Clip Library).
          >>
          >> See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
          >>
          >> The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the
          >> library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've
          >> typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab
          >> will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer
          >> yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook
          >> list window will be empty at this stage.
          >>
          > That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
          > copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.
          >
          > Lotta

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          Flockmaster,

          http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

          Play AstroEmpires
          http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420

          "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

          AND: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

          Robert Anson Heinlein, 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' 1966

          Politicians invest in "Pork futures", the more PORK, the better their future.
          WE need a "Low Cholesterol Diet."