Re: Newbie Question re: Basic Clipboard List

  • mblattyh
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 22, 2010
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "bob_mcallister" <fortiter@...> wrote:

      > Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity to do what you want.
      >
      > Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected text into the current Clip Library).
      >
      > See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
      >
      > The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook list window will be empty at this stage.
      >
      > ... you can add new items by selecting text in your document and then pressing Ctrl+Shift+C (or selecting Add from Document from the editor's shortcut menu) to add it to the current Clipbook library. You will then be prompted to enter a header for the text, after which it is added to the Clipbook.
      >

      > Bob McAllister

      I find myself hoping that the OP comes back to this forum, if only to see that there are indeed easy ways to get NoteTab to accomplish the original request.

      I hope the OP comes back also to see that asking newbie questions can be helpful to people who've used NoteTab for a long time (and can't imagine life without!). Both the clip discussion and this latest post have been helpful, making me aware of features/options that I haven't used in the past, but can definitely see occasional use for in future work.

      And thanks also to everyone who makes these forums so valuable.

      Michael Blatt
    • loro
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 22, 2010
        Bob wrote:
        >Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the
        >Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity
        >to do what you want.
        >
        >Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab
        >does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected
        >text into the current Clip Library).
        >
        >See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
        >
        >The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the
        >library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've
        >typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab
        >will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer
        >yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook
        >list window will be empty at this stage.

        That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
        copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.

        Lotta
      • Bob McAllister
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 22, 2010
          On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:26 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          > That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
          > copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.

          Perhaps I should have extended the quoted material to include ...

          "You can also add text from other applications by copying it to
          Windows' clipboard. Open the Clipbook's list box shortcut menu and
          select Add from Clipboard."

          Which should take care of any "different sources" that are not able to
          be opened in NTB (albeit requiring two more clicks).

          Like Michael I thought that I was an experienced user but was unaware
          of such basic functionality until pushed back into the documentation
          while trying to "reverse engineer" Lotta's excellent work being
          developed through the Clip's list.

          Just goes to show that lists work best when newbies, mavens (and even
          sometimes, old lurkers) all contribute to the discussion.

          Bob McAllister
        • loro
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 22, 2010
            Bob McAllister wrote:
            >Perhaps I should have extended the quoted material to include ...
            >
            >"You can also add text from other applications by copying it to
            >Windows' clipboard. Open the Clipbook's list box shortcut menu and
            >select Add from Clipboard."
            >
            >Which should take care of any "different sources" that are not able to
            >be opened in NTB (albeit requiring two more clicks).

            True again. I didn't think about that option. I think the way we
            interpret a question, especially if everything isn't spelt out in
            great detail, is often colored by our own needs and experiences. In
            hindsight, I guess I assumed some degree of automation was desired,
            but the OP didn't really say that. Gosh, hope I'm not turning into a
            do-it-with-a-clip-even-if-it-isn't-needed person. I wouldn't want that. ;-)

            >Like Michael I thought that I was an experienced user but was unaware
            >of such basic functionality until pushed back into the documentation

            Maybe you were aware of it once. One forgets the things one doesn't
            use. I have probably glanced through information about the problems
            with getting a library path if the library is stored in Appdata more
            than once, but since I wouldn't dream of giving up my ini, it doesn't
            interest me very much so I forget.

            >Just goes to show that lists work best when newbies, mavens (and even
            >sometimes, old lurkers) all contribute to the discussion.

            Amen!

            Lotta
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 23, 2010
              Open a new NoteTab document.hold down CTRL+SHIFT and tap the P, that
              starts the Paste board. anything copied with this set will be pasted on
              that doc.

              On 4/22/2010 2:26 PM, loro wrote:
              > Bob wrote:
              >
              >> Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the
              >> Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity
              >> to do what you want.
              >>
              >> Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab
              >> does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected
              >> text into the current Clip Library).
              >>
              >> See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
              >>
              >> The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the
              >> library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've
              >> typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab
              >> will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer
              >> yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook
              >> list window will be empty at this stage.
              >>
              > That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
              > copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.
              >
              > Lotta

              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
              Flockmaster,

              http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

              Play AstroEmpires
              http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420

              "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

              AND: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

              Robert Anson Heinlein, 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' 1966

              Politicians invest in "Pork futures", the more PORK, the better their future.
              WE need a "Low Cholesterol Diet."