Re: [NTB] Newbie Question re: Basic Clipboard List

  • cn_le
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19 10:03 AM
      Hi Lotta,

      Thanks very much for helping me out with this. Unfortunately, even with your very detailed instructions and with the small fix you noted, I can't seem to get it to work.

      I really like Notetab's pre-made clipbook libraries but until Notetab can make this running clipboard function a standard feature, I think I'm going to use a different text editor for my regular use. Nonetheless, thank you again for your kind assistance.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > >Hi, I'm using Notetab for the first time although I'm coming from a
      > >similar program that had a very simple, basic clipboard with a
      > >running list of all the text that copied from different sources
      > >(i.e., any text I copy would immediately show up in the clipboard
      > >list) so that I could then double-click and paste into my document.
      > >
      > >I see that Notetab has several ready-made 'clipbook libraries' and
      > >I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but I can't seem a
      > >similar basic clipboard library anywhere in Notetab. It's probably
      > >obvious, but I would be grateful if someone can point out to me how
      > >to do it. Thanks.
      >
      > I have a clip that I think does what you want. We aren't supposed to
      > talk too much about clips or post them here on the Basic list, so I
      > posted it on the Clip list. You can sign up to that, which you
      > probably should anyway if you are interested in clips, or you can
      > read it on the web. Hope the clip works for you.
      >
      > <mailto:ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
      >
      > Lotta

    • bob_mcallister
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21 8:39 PM
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cn_le" <CN_Le@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm using Notetab for the first time although I'm coming from a similar program that had a very simple, basic clipboard with a running list of all the text that copied from different sources (i.e., any text I copy would immediately show up in the clipboard list) so that I could then double-click and paste into my document.
        >
        > I see that Notetab has several ready-made 'clipbook libraries' and I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but I can't seem a similar basic clipboard library anywhere in Notetab. It's probably obvious, but I would be grateful if someone can point out to me how to do it. Thanks.

        Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity to do what you want.

        Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected text into the current Clip Library).

        See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help

        The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook list window will be empty at this stage.

        ... you can add new items by selecting text in your document and then pressing Ctrl+Shift+C (or selecting Add from Document from the editor's shortcut menu) to add it to the current Clipbook library. You will then be prompted to enter a header for the text, after which it is added to the Clipbook.

        Bob McAllister
      • mblattyh
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 22 12:58 PM
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "bob_mcallister" <fortiter@...> wrote:

          > Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity to do what you want.
          >
          > Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected text into the current Clip Library).
          >
          > See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
          >
          > The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook list window will be empty at this stage.
          >
          > ... you can add new items by selecting text in your document and then pressing Ctrl+Shift+C (or selecting Add from Document from the editor's shortcut menu) to add it to the current Clipbook library. You will then be prompted to enter a header for the text, after which it is added to the Clipbook.
          >

          > Bob McAllister

          I find myself hoping that the OP comes back to this forum, if only to see that there are indeed easy ways to get NoteTab to accomplish the original request.

          I hope the OP comes back also to see that asking newbie questions can be helpful to people who've used NoteTab for a long time (and can't imagine life without!). Both the clip discussion and this latest post have been helpful, making me aware of features/options that I haven't used in the past, but can definitely see occasional use for in future work.

          And thanks also to everyone who makes these forums so valuable.

          Michael Blatt
        • loro
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 22 2:26 PM
            Bob wrote:
            >Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the
            >Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity
            >to do what you want.
            >
            >Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab
            >does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected
            >text into the current Clip Library).
            >
            >See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
            >
            >The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the
            >library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've
            >typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab
            >will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer
            >yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook
            >list window will be empty at this stage.

            That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
            copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.

            Lotta
          • Bob McAllister
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 22 5:04 PM
              On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:26 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

              > That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
              > copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.

              Perhaps I should have extended the quoted material to include ...

              "You can also add text from other applications by copying it to
              Windows' clipboard. Open the Clipbook's list box shortcut menu and
              select Add from Clipboard."

              Which should take care of any "different sources" that are not able to
              be opened in NTB (albeit requiring two more clicks).

              Like Michael I thought that I was an experienced user but was unaware
              of such basic functionality until pushed back into the documentation
              while trying to "reverse engineer" Lotta's excellent work being
              developed through the Clip's list.

              Just goes to show that lists work best when newbies, mavens (and even
              sometimes, old lurkers) all contribute to the discussion.

              Bob McAllister
            • loro
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 22 5:33 PM
                Bob McAllister wrote:
                >Perhaps I should have extended the quoted material to include ...
                >
                >"You can also add text from other applications by copying it to
                >Windows' clipboard. Open the Clipbook's list box shortcut menu and
                >select Add from Clipboard."
                >
                >Which should take care of any "different sources" that are not able to
                >be opened in NTB (albeit requiring two more clicks).

                True again. I didn't think about that option. I think the way we
                interpret a question, especially if everything isn't spelt out in
                great detail, is often colored by our own needs and experiences. In
                hindsight, I guess I assumed some degree of automation was desired,
                but the OP didn't really say that. Gosh, hope I'm not turning into a
                do-it-with-a-clip-even-if-it-isn't-needed person. I wouldn't want that. ;-)

                >Like Michael I thought that I was an experienced user but was unaware
                >of such basic functionality until pushed back into the documentation

                Maybe you were aware of it once. One forgets the things one doesn't
                use. I have probably glanced through information about the problems
                with getting a library path if the library is stored in Appdata more
                than once, but since I wouldn't dream of giving up my ini, it doesn't
                interest me very much so I forget.

                >Just goes to show that lists work best when newbies, mavens (and even
                >sometimes, old lurkers) all contribute to the discussion.

                Amen!

                Lotta
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 23 9:24 PM
                  Open a new NoteTab document.hold down CTRL+SHIFT and tap the P, that
                  starts the Paste board. anything copied with this set will be pasted on
                  that doc.

                  On 4/22/2010 2:26 PM, loro wrote:
                  > Bob wrote:
                  >
                  >> Although the programming-based solutions being discussed on the
                  >> Clips list are ingenious, there is a much simpler built-in capacity
                  >> to do what you want.
                  >>
                  >> Use the Shift key in association with your copy command and NoteTab
                  >> does exactly what you want (that is place a copy of the selected
                  >> text into the current Clip Library).
                  >>
                  >> See the following extracts from "Create Clipbook Libraries" in NoteTab Help
                  >>
                  >> The easiest way to create a library is by typing a new name in the
                  >> library combo box which is just above the Clipbook list. Once you've
                  >> typed a name for your library and pressed the Enter key, NoteTab
                  >> will ask you if you want to create a new library. When you answer
                  >> yes, it will add the new library name to the combo box. The Clipbook
                  >> list window will be empty at this stage.
                  >>
                  > That's true. But the OP said he wanted to compile a list of text
                  > copied from different sources and then Copy to Clipbook isn't enough.
                  >
                  > Lotta

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  Flockmaster,

                  http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                  Play AstroEmpires
                  http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420

                  "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

                  AND: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

                  Robert Anson Heinlein, 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' 1966

                  Politicians invest in "Pork futures", the more PORK, the better their future.
                  WE need a "Low Cholesterol Diet."