Assigning user text strings to key-combos?

  • jrobinke
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2010
      Hi, I've done this before but I can't remember how I did it! I seem to
      remember a box opened up to type in the text string and to assign the
      key[s]...I used Ctrl+1, 2, etc. I can't find the info in the Help or in
      the Clipbook libraries. I'm probably over looking something obvious, but
      would really appreciate some help. Thanks, Robin

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "jrobinke" <robin.keller@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I've done this before but I can't remember how I did it! I
        > seem to remember a box opened up to type in the text string and
        > to assign the key[s]...I used Ctrl+1, 2, etc. I can't find the
        > info in the Help or in the Clipbook libraries. I'm probably over
        > looking something obvious, but would really appreciate some help.
        > Thanks, Robin

        You can put various text strings into clips (new items in existing or new clip libraries).

        To invoke the clips you need to have the clip library loaded (showing when you press F4) and then double-click (can be configured to work instead with single-click) the item. Or, you can press Esc while editing, and select the clip there.

        The last clip used can be reused with Ctrl+Spacebar.

        Another possibility is to enable the Auto-Replace mode. Then you can type the name of the clip in your document and when you press the enter or spacebar, the clip name is erased and the clip text is inserted.

        If you have Standard or Pro (or are viewing Commercial Features in Light) you can have ClipBars, but that is more clicking, not invoking with the keyboard.

        Clips can be just text, or they can have instructions and be like little scripts.

        Invoking clips with configurable hotkeys can be done, but it requires additional software. <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/CustomClipkeysInfo.html> . I would suggest to join the clips list and become more familiar with the standard ways of making and using clips before trying that.

        Regards,
        Sheri