Re: [NTB] Use NotePro.ini on D drive in Win7

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
      Hi
      I think even in windows 7 it still uses documents and settings so if you
      reinstalled notetab all your setting would be in documents and setting -
      user .
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
        No, it uses C:\ Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro in Windows
        7. Copying the modified one to that location, or placing the modified one in
        the NoteTab Pro.exe folder should both work. I do the latter, because I want
        all the NoteTab stuff in one place, as I often update libraries, etc, and
        don't want the hassle of fighting multiple locations of the clip files
        caused by Windows trying to protect me from myself.

        One should also right click the NoteTab icon and choose the Compatibility
        tab, then select 'Run this program as an administrator', then OK. That is
        slightly different than right clicking and choosing 'Run as Administrator'
        for some reason, which you would have to do each time.

        Regards,

        John

        > I want to use a saved configuration of NoteTab Pro 6,2/fv in a PC where I
        > repartitioned the hard disk into two logical drives (C and D) and
        > formatted
        > everything and did a fresh installation of a retail copy of Windows 7 Home
        > Premium on the C drive. All other programs are being reinstalled into
        > D:\Program Files.
        >
        > Before I nuked this old PC, I saved EVERYTHING to a second computer. Now,
        > I've
        > tried to regain my old configuration of NTPro by copying NotePro.ini to
        > the
        > same folder where I installed the NTPro application ( D:\Program
        > Files\NoteTab
        > Pro 6 ). The contents of the INI file look good because I can see my
        > customizations in it, but NTPro does not use them. I tried storing my
        > saved
        > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS\Application Data\NoteTab Pro folder to
        > RAS\AppData\NoteTab Pro in the Win7 PC, but saved customizations still
        > don't
        > apply. I launch and re-launch NTPro and even reboot between trials, but no
        > joy.
        >
        > All current Windows Updates are installed.
        >
        > Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for NTPro to
        > use
        > it.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
          One way to control your .ini file location is to code it into your clips.
          You can give it your own name and own location, then define it at the head
          of your clip library. That's what I do, so I never have to worry about NTP
          accidentally overwriting my master .ini file, which happened way too many
          times before I switched to this method.

          My setup is shown below.

          ^!SetIniFile ^$GetAppPath$RecipeClips\RecipeClips

          ^!IfFileExist ^$GetAppPath$Recipeclips\RecipeClips.ini IniFileComplete

          ^!ProgIniSave ^$GetAppPath$Recipeclips\RecipeClips.ini

          :IniFileComplete

          Regards,

          John

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

            > Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for
            > NTPro to use it.

            If you just want to determine the default location, you can open a console window and enter:

            echo %appdata%

            The default data folder is within that location, for Pro it is the subdirectory, "NoteTab Pro".

            Or you can specify where you want NoteTab to read and store user data, with command line switches on the Windows shortcut you use to start NoteTab.

            Personally I like Light to use the same folder as Pro. On my XP shortcut for Light I have:

            /USER="C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\Application Data\NoteTab Pro" /INI=notelight.ini

            That causes it to use "notelight.ini" in the NoteTab Pro data folder. It ends up using the same libraries, etc. as my Pro installation.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
              Sheri,

              I start NTP more often by double clicking on a text or ini file than by
              using its icon. If the icon isn't used, those switches would be ignored,
              wouldn't they?

              Regards,

              John

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010

                > Sheri,
                >
                > I start NTP more often by double clicking on a text or ini file
                > than by using its icon. If the icon isn't used, those switches
                > would be ignored, wouldn't they?

                I right click a file and select "Send To". My shortcuts there have my switches.

                The location of those shortcuts on my system is C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\SendTo
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sheri,
                  > >
                  > > I start NTP more often by double clicking on a text or ini file
                  > > than by using its icon. If the icon isn't used, those switches
                  > > would be ignored, wouldn't they?
                  >
                  > I right click a file and select "Send To". My shortcuts there have my switches.
                  >
                  > The location of those shortcuts on my system is C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\SendTo

                  I just changed the "Folder Options" for my TXT files ("open" item) to NoteTab Light and those switches. Worked fine. Now double-clicking txt files opens them in NTL with previously specified options. Also added the no-splash switch, /NS

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • Don Daugherty
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 29, 2010
                    On 3/28/2010 11:57 AM, Sheri wrote:
                    > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp<ras45@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for
                    >> NTPro to use it.
                    >>
                    > If you just want to determine the default location, you can open a console window and enter:
                    >
                    > echo %appdata%
                    >
                    > The default data folder is within that location, for Pro it is the subdirectory, "NoteTab Pro".
                    >
                    > Or you can specify where you want NoteTab to read and store user data, with command line switches on the Windows shortcut you use to start NoteTab.
                    >
                    > Personally I like Light to use the same folder as Pro. On my XP shortcut for Light I have:
                    >
                    > /USER="C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\Application Data\NoteTab Pro" /INI=notelight.ini
                    >
                    > That causes it to use "notelight.ini" in the NoteTab Pro data folder. It ends up using the same libraries, etc. as my Pro installation.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Sheri

                    I just read this thread today, and viola, it spoke exactly to a need I
                    encountered an hour earlier -- I wanted to run NoteTab Light from a
                    batch file and use one of my NotePro Clips. The above showed me exactly
                    how to do it! (I could also show people an hours worth of ways it can't
                    be done!)
                    Thanks for your continuing contributions to these lists.
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                      Hi Alec, Dave, John, Sheri, and All,

                      Many thanks to you for this valuable thread. You have gone beyond answering my
                      original question which was <Where to copy my customized NotePro.ini file when
                      moving from a WinXP PC to a Win7 PC?>

                      In my case, the answer is to copy NotePro.ini into the "C:\
                      Users\RAS\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro" folder.

                      I could have followed John's advice to do the job more simply, but the free
                      "Everything" utility suggested by Alec got my attention first. Here's the link
                      again: http://www.voidtools.com/

                      I don't ever use NT Lite. Also I have installed most of my programs (including
                      NTP) onto the D drive. Maybe that explains why my original attempt (placing
                      NotePro.ini into D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro6) didn't work.

                      Bottom line: Problem solved. I have a new utility in my toolkit. I learned a
                      little more about NoteTab.

                      Again, thanks to all.

                      Ray Shapp