Re: [NTB] Use NotePro.ini on D drive in Win7

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
      Ray: I haven't used Win 7 so the following are guesses based on what
      I've read ...

      I think the reason Notetab isn't using your notepro.ini when located in
      %progfiles% is that all regular users have no write access to C:\Program
      Files\...
      So its possible that if running as ADMIN would work though I don't
      suggest that except as an experiment.

      My suggestion would be to uninstall Notetab, make sure that the
      %progfiles% Notetab folder is empty after doing this then reinstall Notetab.

      Run it, make some Options changes, exit then rerun to verify that it
      *IS* able to write to notepro.ini.

      Now use (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ to verify where
      Notetab has created the notepro.ini file. Now put all the files in your
      saved config of Notetab (which were al in the %progfiles% folder that do
      NOT appear in the new Win-7 %progfiles% in the same location you found
      the Notepro.ini file. (Should be somewhere under C:\Users\<yourname>\...)

      There are probably easier ways to do this but that's what I'd try :-)

      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > To All,
      >
      > I want to use a saved configuration of NoteTab Pro 6,2/fv in a PC where I
      > repartitioned the hard disk into two logical drives (C and D) and formatted
      > everything and did a fresh installation of a retail copy of Windows 7 Home
      > Premium on the C drive. All other programs are being reinstalled into
      > D:\Program Files.
      >
      > Before I nuked this old PC, I saved EVERYTHING to a second computer. Now, I've
      > tried to regain my old configuration of NTPro by copying NotePro.ini to the
      > same folder where I installed the NTPro application ( D:\Program Files\NoteTab
      > Pro 6 ). The contents of the INI file look good because I can see my
      > customizations in it, but NTPro does not use them. I tried storing my saved
      > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS\Application Data\NoteTab Pro folder to
      > RAS\AppData\NoteTab Pro in the Win7 PC, but saved customizations still don't
      > apply. I launch and re-launch NTPro and even reboot between trials, but no
      > joy.
      >
      > All current Windows Updates are installed.
      >
      > Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for NTPro to use
      > it.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Ray Shapp

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
        Hi
        I think even in windows 7 it still uses documents and settings so if you
        reinstalled notetab all your setting would be in documents and setting -
        user .
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I want to use a saved configuration of NoteTab Pro 6,2/fv in a PC where I
        > repartitioned the hard disk into two logical drives (C and D) and
        > formatted
        > everything and did a fresh installation of a retail copy of Windows 7 Home
        > Premium on the C drive. All other programs are being reinstalled into
        > D:\Program Files.
        >
        > Before I nuked this old PC, I saved EVERYTHING to a second computer. Now,
        > I've
        > tried to regain my old configuration of NTPro by copying NotePro.ini to
        > the
        > same folder where I installed the NTPro application ( D:\Program
        > Files\NoteTab
        > Pro 6 ). The contents of the INI file look good because I can see my
        > customizations in it, but NTPro does not use them. I tried storing my
        > saved
        > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS\Application Data\NoteTab Pro folder to
        > RAS\AppData\NoteTab Pro in the Win7 PC, but saved customizations still
        > don't
        > apply. I launch and re-launch NTPro and even reboot between trials, but no
        > joy.
        >
        > All current Windows Updates are installed.
        >
        > Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for NTPro to
        > use
        > it.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
          No, it uses C:\ Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro in Windows
          7. Copying the modified one to that location, or placing the modified one in
          the NoteTab Pro.exe folder should both work. I do the latter, because I want
          all the NoteTab stuff in one place, as I often update libraries, etc, and
          don't want the hassle of fighting multiple locations of the clip files
          caused by Windows trying to protect me from myself.

          One should also right click the NoteTab icon and choose the Compatibility
          tab, then select 'Run this program as an administrator', then OK. That is
          slightly different than right clicking and choosing 'Run as Administrator'
          for some reason, which you would have to do each time.

          Regards,

          John

          > I want to use a saved configuration of NoteTab Pro 6,2/fv in a PC where I
          > repartitioned the hard disk into two logical drives (C and D) and
          > formatted
          > everything and did a fresh installation of a retail copy of Windows 7 Home
          > Premium on the C drive. All other programs are being reinstalled into
          > D:\Program Files.
          >
          > Before I nuked this old PC, I saved EVERYTHING to a second computer. Now,
          > I've
          > tried to regain my old configuration of NTPro by copying NotePro.ini to
          > the
          > same folder where I installed the NTPro application ( D:\Program
          > Files\NoteTab
          > Pro 6 ). The contents of the INI file look good because I can see my
          > customizations in it, but NTPro does not use them. I tried storing my
          > saved
          > C:\Documents and Settings\RAS\Application Data\NoteTab Pro folder to
          > RAS\AppData\NoteTab Pro in the Win7 PC, but saved customizations still
          > don't
          > apply. I launch and re-launch NTPro and even reboot between trials, but no
          > joy.
          >
          > All current Windows Updates are installed.
          >
          > Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for NTPro to
          > use
          > it.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
            One way to control your .ini file location is to code it into your clips.
            You can give it your own name and own location, then define it at the head
            of your clip library. That's what I do, so I never have to worry about NTP
            accidentally overwriting my master .ini file, which happened way too many
            times before I switched to this method.

            My setup is shown below.

            ^!SetIniFile ^$GetAppPath$RecipeClips\RecipeClips

            ^!IfFileExist ^$GetAppPath$Recipeclips\RecipeClips.ini IniFileComplete

            ^!ProgIniSave ^$GetAppPath$Recipeclips\RecipeClips.ini

            :IniFileComplete

            Regards,

            John

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

              > Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for
              > NTPro to use it.

              If you just want to determine the default location, you can open a console window and enter:

              echo %appdata%

              The default data folder is within that location, for Pro it is the subdirectory, "NoteTab Pro".

              Or you can specify where you want NoteTab to read and store user data, with command line switches on the Windows shortcut you use to start NoteTab.

              Personally I like Light to use the same folder as Pro. On my XP shortcut for Light I have:

              /USER="C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\Application Data\NoteTab Pro" /INI=notelight.ini

              That causes it to use "notelight.ini" in the NoteTab Pro data folder. It ends up using the same libraries, etc. as my Pro installation.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
                Sheri,

                I start NTP more often by double clicking on a text or ini file than by
                using its icon. If the icon isn't used, those switches would be ignored,
                wouldn't they?

                Regards,

                John

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010

                  > Sheri,
                  >
                  > I start NTP more often by double clicking on a text or ini file
                  > than by using its icon. If the icon isn't used, those switches
                  > would be ignored, wouldn't they?

                  I right click a file and select "Send To". My shortcuts there have my switches.

                  The location of those shortcuts on my system is C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\SendTo
                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 28, 2010
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                    > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sheri,
                    > >
                    > > I start NTP more often by double clicking on a text or ini file
                    > > than by using its icon. If the icon isn't used, those switches
                    > > would be ignored, wouldn't they?
                    >
                    > I right click a file and select "Send To". My shortcuts there have my switches.
                    >
                    > The location of those shortcuts on my system is C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\SendTo

                    I just changed the "Folder Options" for my TXT files ("open" item) to NoteTab Light and those switches. Worked fine. Now double-clicking txt files opens them in NTL with previously specified options. Also added the no-splash switch, /NS

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • Don Daugherty
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 29, 2010
                      On 3/28/2010 11:57 AM, Sheri wrote:
                      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp<ras45@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Please tell me where the saved NotePro.ini file needs to go for
                      >> NTPro to use it.
                      >>
                      > If you just want to determine the default location, you can open a console window and enter:
                      >
                      > echo %appdata%
                      >
                      > The default data folder is within that location, for Pro it is the subdirectory, "NoteTab Pro".
                      >
                      > Or you can specify where you want NoteTab to read and store user data, with command line switches on the Windows shortcut you use to start NoteTab.
                      >
                      > Personally I like Light to use the same folder as Pro. On my XP shortcut for Light I have:
                      >
                      > /USER="C:\Documents and Settings\Sheri\Application Data\NoteTab Pro" /INI=notelight.ini
                      >
                      > That causes it to use "notelight.ini" in the NoteTab Pro data folder. It ends up using the same libraries, etc. as my Pro installation.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Sheri

                      I just read this thread today, and viola, it spoke exactly to a need I
                      encountered an hour earlier -- I wanted to run NoteTab Light from a
                      batch file and use one of my NotePro Clips. The above showed me exactly
                      how to do it! (I could also show people an hours worth of ways it can't
                      be done!)
                      Thanks for your continuing contributions to these lists.
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                        Hi Alec, Dave, John, Sheri, and All,

                        Many thanks to you for this valuable thread. You have gone beyond answering my
                        original question which was <Where to copy my customized NotePro.ini file when
                        moving from a WinXP PC to a Win7 PC?>

                        In my case, the answer is to copy NotePro.ini into the "C:\
                        Users\RAS\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro" folder.

                        I could have followed John's advice to do the job more simply, but the free
                        "Everything" utility suggested by Alec got my attention first. Here's the link
                        again: http://www.voidtools.com/

                        I don't ever use NT Lite. Also I have installed most of my programs (including
                        NTP) onto the D drive. Maybe that explains why my original attempt (placing
                        NotePro.ini into D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro6) didn't work.

                        Bottom line: Problem solved. I have a new utility in my toolkit. I learned a
                        little more about NoteTab.

                        Again, thanks to all.

                        Ray Shapp