Re: [NTB] Some questions about transfering settings to a clean install.

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
      Hi Robbie,

      First, yes it is safe to just replace the new INI with the old. Any new
      sections/keys
      added by v6.2 will be included when you exit NTB & unused keys/sections
      will be
      ignored.

      1) Ini file grow over time as they contain your NTB history - prefs, recent
      files,
      file filters, searches, etc - much more than what shows up in the NTB menus.
      Although it is safe to just copy I like to clean house every once in a while.

      Edit a copy of the old INI file, (I like to sort each section - defined by
      the [...]
      section headers. Caution - DON"T sort the entire file - only section by
      section!]
      Delete old refs that are no longer applicable and save it. Do NOT save it as
      Notetab.ini as it will be overwritten when you close NTB. After you close NTB,
      then replace the current INI file with the edited one.

      2) The numbers following the entries in the [Toolbar] section control the
      appearance and order of the entries in the Toolbar and Shortcut menu. If you,
      as I do, have spent a lot of time and effort customizing NTB it is a real
      PIA to
      recreate those settings via NTB's options. Much easier (even if you do nothing
      else), is to copy that section into your new ini file.

      3) The spell check is a separate DL and is not part of the NTB
      distribution. You
      can copy the old folders but you may want to DL the current files as they may
      have been updated since your previous installation. However, you probably want
      to copy over the Default.udt and Spell.cfg files in the Spelling folder as
      they
      contain any changes/additions and customizations you have made to spell check.

      HTH. Enjoy

      Namaste', Art

      Buckle Up: It makes it harder for the
      aliens to suck you out of your car.