Some questions about transfering settings to a clean install.

  • jacobian_determinant
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 2:41 AM
      Greetings, group. Tonight I upgraded my NoteTab from version 5.5 to version 6.2. Instead of installing on top of the existing installation, I chose to do a "clean" install, to get rid of any old (and possibly conflicting) leftover files. I backed-up (to a separate drive) the program and the App-data folders:

      C:\Programs\Text-Editors\NoteTab
      C:\docs-n-sttngs\usr-nm\App-data\NoteTab

      I then deleted everything from those folders and did a clean install.

      I'm now in process of copying-over settings from backups to the new install, and I have some questions. I'd be grateful if someone could throw some light on the following:

      1. Has the format of NoteTab.ini changed at all? It looks sort-of the same, but my old ini file is MUCH LARGER than the new one, having collected a lot of settings over the years. Is it safe to just replace the new ini with the old? Or should I just selectively copy stuff from old to new?

      2. I notice some differences in NoteTab.fpr (apparently a "document properties history" file). In my old file, most of the entries end in "=0;1", but in the new file, the entries end in "=64;1". What's up with that? What do those numbers mean, anyway? And is it safe to replace the new fpr file with the old one?

      3. I noticed that when I tried to do spell-checking, I get "You have no dictionaries! Would you like to add a dictionary?" I checked and sure enough, my "Dictionaries" folder was empty. What's up with that? I got spell checking to work again by copying my old dictionaries back to the Dictionaries folder. Were those not part of the standard package or something?

      Everything else I could figure out easily, but those three are puzzling me.

      --
      Cheers,
      Robbie Hatley
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 6:43 AM
        Hi Robbie,

        First, yes it is safe to just replace the new INI with the old. Any new
        sections/keys
        added by v6.2 will be included when you exit NTB & unused keys/sections
        will be
        ignored.

        1) Ini file grow over time as they contain your NTB history - prefs, recent
        files,
        file filters, searches, etc - much more than what shows up in the NTB menus.
        Although it is safe to just copy I like to clean house every once in a while.

        Edit a copy of the old INI file, (I like to sort each section - defined by
        the [...]
        section headers. Caution - DON"T sort the entire file - only section by
        section!]
        Delete old refs that are no longer applicable and save it. Do NOT save it as
        Notetab.ini as it will be overwritten when you close NTB. After you close NTB,
        then replace the current INI file with the edited one.

        2) The numbers following the entries in the [Toolbar] section control the
        appearance and order of the entries in the Toolbar and Shortcut menu. If you,
        as I do, have spent a lot of time and effort customizing NTB it is a real
        PIA to
        recreate those settings via NTB's options. Much easier (even if you do nothing
        else), is to copy that section into your new ini file.

        3) The spell check is a separate DL and is not part of the NTB
        distribution. You
        can copy the old folders but you may want to DL the current files as they may
        have been updated since your previous installation. However, you probably want
        to copy over the Default.udt and Spell.cfg files in the Spelling folder as
        they
        contain any changes/additions and customizations you have made to spell check.

        HTH. Enjoy

        Namaste', Art

        Buckle Up: It makes it harder for the
        aliens to suck you out of your car.