Re: Notetab Pro starts up with default notetab.ini file

  • bobr
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
      Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
      1. deleted NotePro.fpr
      and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
      2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program files.

      I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the problem. If as you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue copy ;-)
    • AL Guevara
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
        Put an EMPTY notepro.ini where it puts it, and delete the fpr file too.
        Reboot

        Al

        From: bobr <drbobr2k@...>
        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NTB] Re: Notetab Pro starts up with default notetab.ini file

        >Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
        >1. deleted NotePro.fpr
        > and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
        >2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program files.

        >I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the problem. If as
        >you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue copy ;-)

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
          For what it's worth, I have created a new folder:

          C:\Programs\

          I install all the older programs that don't necessarily play nice with Vista
          and/or Win7 in that folder. (C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro\). I do want to be able
          to edit things in the NoteTab folder without interference by Windows. If you
          have any version of UAC active, there is a 'shadow copy' feature that copies
          your Program Files changes to another location without your knowledge.
          Google for information about where that is, you might find other things
          there as well. XP users don't have that pesky feature.

          I keep my NotePro.ini file in my NoteTab folder, as I often add new
          variables that are used by my clips in it, and I watch how it changes as my
          clips run. By installing in Programs, I have complete freedom to do what I
          want without interference by Windows. I never, ever have a problem with
          NoteTab finding it's .ini file now, but I did previously end up with a new
          .ini file occasionally, and I never knew what caused it. After a while, I
          made a backup to copy from, so I didn't keep losing my configuration.

          Regards,

          John

          From: bobr <drbobr2k@... <mailto:drbobr2k%40yahoo.com> >
          To: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

          >Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
          >1. deleted NotePro.fpr
          > and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
          >2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program
          files.

          >I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the
          problem. If as
          >you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue
          copy ;-)

        • fo2resthawkins
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

            > fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on
            > 2010-02-22 at 11:18):
            > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bob R." <drbobr2k@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use
            > > constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
            > > and replace it with a basic 5k version.
            > >
            > > This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
            > > search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
            > > Thanks. Forrest
            > Forest:
            > The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
            > standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
            > Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
            > you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
            > file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
            > called :-)
            >
            > When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
            > initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
            > happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
            > problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
            > you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
            > %progfiles% location.
            >
            > Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
            > to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
            > after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.
            >
            > The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
            > sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
            > copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
            > assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
            > clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
            > locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
            > Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
            > deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
            > Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.
            >
            > --
            >

            > After Alec's helpful clarification I went to Explorer, told it to show hidden files and searched for notepro.ini. It didn't find it on any hard drive. Are there some circumstances where the file doesn't exist? NP seems to work fine. Thanks.

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
              This probably does not cover all possibilities, but here are two situations, that can cause mysteries with NoteTab's ini file:

              1. A rogue clip can replace the ini file content with
              default content (see Clipcode Help-->^!ProgIniLoad/Save),
              or simply load a different ini file on startup (see help
              for ^!SetIniFile). This latter could be disabled (Options-->General tab-->Clip Event Warnings==Disable Clip Events) - which has some negative side effects.

              2. Starting NoteTab with a switch that tells NT to load with a different INI file.

              By the way, of you were to just lose the ini file, NoteTab would start up just like after a new install (readme file, and whats new)

              Cheers,

              Eb