Re: [NTB] Re: Notetab Pro starts up with default notetab.ini file

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23 1:44 PM
      bobr wrote:
      > my bad ... it is NotePro.ini ... it's stored in
      > \Program Files\NoteTab Pro
      > I'm using windows xp -- I backup up my files weekly - the backup copy was correct thus I was able to replace the default version losing only changes that occurred since the backup. notetab pro is modifying the file - I'm not editing it.
      > I did not say: >sometimes it is saved and sometimes not
      >
      > I said most days everything is fine and the program starts up with no problem just that occasionally it starts up with a white background and other default settings. I'm wondering if "something" is occasionally deleting the old file but I can't imagine what that might be. No problems with other files (that I know of).
      > __________________
      > Alex, you're onto something but I don't understand how it's working MOST of the time. I have two copies of notepro.ini
      >
      > Documents and settings ... Application Data\NoteTab Pro
      > 03/19/2008 11:17 AM 6,041 NotePro.ini
      >
      > and the current version in Program Files\NoteTab Pro (after exit notetab pro)
      > 02/23/2010 08:39 AM 15,005 NotePro.ini
      >
      > I could delete the one in program files after copying it to docs and settings but a new update would likely insert a new default copy ???

      You *should* delete the one in %progfiles%.

      When Notetab is installed it does *not* create a notepro.ini file in
      %progfiles% nor does it do so on first run. (This was new in Notetab 5 -
      previously it always used to use %progfiles% but since Microsoft (in its
      infinite wisdom) decided to lockdown %progfiles%much more than it used
      to Notetab (along with most new or updated programs use %appdata% - ie.
      C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...whatever)

      What Notetab does if finds an *already* existing Notepro.ini in
      %progfiles% is use that location (even if the Notepro.ini is a zero-byte
      file). This feature is provided for backwards compatability and also
      that a user can if desired do a pseudo-portable install. IE. Create
      (say) D:\Notetab\ folder, put an empty notepro.ini file in that folder,
      then install Notetab to D:\Notetab\.

      Feel free to post back if any questions or problems :-)
      > Thanks for the feedback.
      > Bob
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
      >
      >> fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on

      >>> constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
      >>> and replace it with a basic 5k version.
      >>>
      >>> This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
      >>> search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
      >>> Thanks. Forrest
      >>>
      >> Forest:
      >> The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
      >> standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
      >> Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
      >> you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
      >> file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
      >> called :-)
      >>
      >> When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
      >> initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
      >> happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
      >> problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
      >> you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
      >> %progfiles% location.
      >>
      >> Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
      >> to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
      >> after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.
      >>
      >> The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
      >> sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
      >> copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
      >> assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
      >> clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
      >> locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
      >> Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
      >> deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
      >> Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.
      >>
      >> --
      >> Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

    • bobr
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24 6:53 AM
        Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
        1. deleted NotePro.fpr
        and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
        2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program files.

        I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the problem. If as you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue copy ;-)
      • AL Guevara
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24 9:33 AM
          Put an EMPTY notepro.ini where it puts it, and delete the fpr file too.
          Reboot

          Al

          From: bobr <drbobr2k@...>
          To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [NTB] Re: Notetab Pro starts up with default notetab.ini file

          >Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
          >1. deleted NotePro.fpr
          > and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
          >2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program files.

          >I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the problem. If as
          >you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue copy ;-)

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24 10:00 AM
            For what it's worth, I have created a new folder:

            C:\Programs\

            I install all the older programs that don't necessarily play nice with Vista
            and/or Win7 in that folder. (C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro\). I do want to be able
            to edit things in the NoteTab folder without interference by Windows. If you
            have any version of UAC active, there is a 'shadow copy' feature that copies
            your Program Files changes to another location without your knowledge.
            Google for information about where that is, you might find other things
            there as well. XP users don't have that pesky feature.

            I keep my NotePro.ini file in my NoteTab folder, as I often add new
            variables that are used by my clips in it, and I watch how it changes as my
            clips run. By installing in Programs, I have complete freedom to do what I
            want without interference by Windows. I never, ever have a problem with
            NoteTab finding it's .ini file now, but I did previously end up with a new
            .ini file occasionally, and I never knew what caused it. After a while, I
            made a backup to copy from, so I didn't keep losing my configuration.

            Regards,

            John

            From: bobr <drbobr2k@... <mailto:drbobr2k%40yahoo.com> >
            To: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

            >Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
            >1. deleted NotePro.fpr
            > and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
            >2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program
            files.

            >I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the
            problem. If as
            >you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue
            copy ;-)

          • fo2resthawkins
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24 11:04 AM
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

              > fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on
              > 2010-02-22 at 11:18):
              > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bob R." <drbobr2k@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use
              > > constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
              > > and replace it with a basic 5k version.
              > >
              > > This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
              > > search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
              > > Thanks. Forrest
              > Forest:
              > The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
              > standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
              > Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
              > you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
              > file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
              > called :-)
              >
              > When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
              > initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
              > happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
              > problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
              > you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
              > %progfiles% location.
              >
              > Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
              > to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
              > after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.
              >
              > The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
              > sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
              > copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
              > assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
              > clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
              > locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
              > Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
              > deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
              > Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.
              >
              > --
              >

              > After Alec's helpful clarification I went to Explorer, told it to show hidden files and searched for notepro.ini. It didn't find it on any hard drive. Are there some circumstances where the file doesn't exist? NP seems to work fine. Thanks.

            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24 11:10 AM
                This probably does not cover all possibilities, but here are two situations, that can cause mysteries with NoteTab's ini file:

                1. A rogue clip can replace the ini file content with
                default content (see Clipcode Help-->^!ProgIniLoad/Save),
                or simply load a different ini file on startup (see help
                for ^!SetIniFile). This latter could be disabled (Options-->General tab-->Clip Event Warnings==Disable Clip Events) - which has some negative side effects.

                2. Starting NoteTab with a switch that tells NT to load with a different INI file.

                By the way, of you were to just lose the ini file, NoteTab would start up just like after a new install (readme file, and whats new)

                Cheers,

                Eb