Notetab Pro starts up with default notetab.ini file

  • Bob R.
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
      Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k) and replace it with a basic 5k version. Fortunately I have a backup and can restore it but what causes something like that to happen. It was "alive" at shutdown. (I closed it just prior to shutting down). Nothing seemed amiss. Any ideas?

    • fo2resthawkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bob R." <drbobr2k@...> wrote:

        > Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k) and replace it with a basic 5k version.

        This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
        Thanks. Forrest
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
          fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on
          2010-02-22 at 11:18):
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bob R." <drbobr2k@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use
          > constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
          > and replace it with a basic 5k version.
          >
          > This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
          > search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
          > Thanks. Forrest
          Forest:
          The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
          standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
          Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
          you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
          file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
          called :-)

          When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
          initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
          happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
          problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
          you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
          %progfiles% location.

          Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
          to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
          after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.

          The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
          sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
          copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
          assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
          clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
          locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
          Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
          deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
          Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.

        • bobr
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
            my bad ... it is NotePro.ini ... it's stored in
            \Program Files\NoteTab Pro
            I'm using windows xp -- I backup up my files weekly - the backup copy was correct thus I was able to replace the default version losing only changes that occurred since the backup. notetab pro is modifying the file - I'm not editing it.
            I did not say: >sometimes it is saved and sometimes not

            I said most days everything is fine and the program starts up with no problem just that occasionally it starts up with a white background and other default settings. I'm wondering if "something" is occasionally deleting the old file but I can't imagine what that might be. No problems with other files (that I know of).
            __________________
            Alex, you're onto something but I don't understand how it's working MOST of the time. I have two copies of notepro.ini

            Documents and settings ... Application Data\NoteTab Pro
            03/19/2008 11:17 AM 6,041 NotePro.ini

            and the current version in Program Files\NoteTab Pro (after exit notetab pro)
            02/23/2010 08:39 AM 15,005 NotePro.ini

            I could delete the one in program files after copying it to docs and settings but a new update would likely insert a new default copy ???

            Thanks for the feedback.
            Bob
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

            > fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on
            > 2010-02-22 at 11:18):
            > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bob R." <drbobr2k@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use
            > > constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
            > > and replace it with a basic 5k version.
            > >
            > > This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
            > > search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
            > > Thanks. Forrest
            > Forest:
            > The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
            > standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
            > Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
            > you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
            > file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
            > called :-)
            >
            > When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
            > initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
            > happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
            > problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
            > you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
            > %progfiles% location.
            >
            > Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
            > to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
            > after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.
            >
            > The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
            > sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
            > copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
            > assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
            > clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
            > locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
            > Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
            > deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
            > Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.
            >
            > --

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
              bobr wrote:
              > my bad ... it is NotePro.ini ... it's stored in
              > \Program Files\NoteTab Pro
              > I'm using windows xp -- I backup up my files weekly - the backup copy was correct thus I was able to replace the default version losing only changes that occurred since the backup. notetab pro is modifying the file - I'm not editing it.
              > I did not say: >sometimes it is saved and sometimes not
              >
              > I said most days everything is fine and the program starts up with no problem just that occasionally it starts up with a white background and other default settings. I'm wondering if "something" is occasionally deleting the old file but I can't imagine what that might be. No problems with other files (that I know of).
              > __________________
              > Alex, you're onto something but I don't understand how it's working MOST of the time. I have two copies of notepro.ini
              >
              > Documents and settings ... Application Data\NoteTab Pro
              > 03/19/2008 11:17 AM 6,041 NotePro.ini
              >
              > and the current version in Program Files\NoteTab Pro (after exit notetab pro)
              > 02/23/2010 08:39 AM 15,005 NotePro.ini
              >
              > I could delete the one in program files after copying it to docs and settings but a new update would likely insert a new default copy ???

              You *should* delete the one in %progfiles%.

              When Notetab is installed it does *not* create a notepro.ini file in
              %progfiles% nor does it do so on first run. (This was new in Notetab 5 -
              previously it always used to use %progfiles% but since Microsoft (in its
              infinite wisdom) decided to lockdown %progfiles%much more than it used
              to Notetab (along with most new or updated programs use %appdata% - ie.
              C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...whatever)

              What Notetab does if finds an *already* existing Notepro.ini in
              %progfiles% is use that location (even if the Notepro.ini is a zero-byte
              file). This feature is provided for backwards compatability and also
              that a user can if desired do a pseudo-portable install. IE. Create
              (say) D:\Notetab\ folder, put an empty notepro.ini file in that folder,
              then install Notetab to D:\Notetab\.

              Feel free to post back if any questions or problems :-)
              > Thanks for the feedback.
              > Bob
              > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:
              >
              >> fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on

              >>> constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
              >>> and replace it with a basic 5k version.
              >>>
              >>> This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
              >>> search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
              >>> Thanks. Forrest
              >>>
              >> Forest:
              >> The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
              >> standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
              >> Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
              >> you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
              >> file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
              >> called :-)
              >>
              >> When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
              >> initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
              >> happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
              >> problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
              >> you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
              >> %progfiles% location.
              >>
              >> Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
              >> to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
              >> after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.
              >>
              >> The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
              >> sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
              >> copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
              >> assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
              >> clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
              >> locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
              >> Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
              >> deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
              >> Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.
              >>
              >> --
              >> Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

            • bobr
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
                1. deleted NotePro.fpr
                and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
                2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program files.

                I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the problem. If as you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue copy ;-)
              • AL Guevara
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                  Put an EMPTY notepro.ini where it puts it, and delete the fpr file too.
                  Reboot

                  Al

                  From: bobr <drbobr2k@...>
                  To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [NTB] Re: Notetab Pro starts up with default notetab.ini file

                  >Strange - I repeated the following a few times:
                  >1. deleted NotePro.fpr
                  > and NotePro.ini from program files (after closing notetab pro)
                  >2. opened notetab pro, closed it .. the files had been recreated in program files.

                  >I guess I could do a new install but not sure if that would solve the problem. If as
                  >you say, it doesn't create a notepro.ini file then maybe I have a rogue copy ;-)

                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                    For what it's worth, I have created a new folder:

                    C:\Programs\

                    I install all the older programs that don't necessarily play nice with Vista
                    and/or Win7 in that folder. (C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro\). I do want to be able
                    to edit things in the NoteTab folder without interference by Windows. If you
                    have any version of UAC active, there is a 'shadow copy' feature that copies
                    your Program Files changes to another location without your knowledge.
                    Google for information about where that is, you might find other things
                    there as well. XP users don't have that pesky feature.

                    I keep my NotePro.ini file in my NoteTab folder, as I often add new
                    variables that are used by my clips in it, and I watch how it changes as my
                    clips run. By installing in Programs, I have complete freedom to do what I
                    want without interference by Windows. I never, ever have a problem with
                    NoteTab finding it's .ini file now, but I did previously end up with a new
                    .ini file occasionally, and I never knew what caused it. After a while, I
                    made a backup to copy from, so I didn't keep losing my configuration.

                    Regards,

                    John

                    From: bobr <drbobr2k@... <mailto:drbobr2k%40yahoo.com> >
                    To: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                      > fo2resthawkins (forrest@...) wrote (in part) (on
                      > 2010-02-22 at 11:18):
                      > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bob R." <drbobr2k@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Occasionally, including this morning, notetab pro (which I use
                      > > constantly) will "lose" the current notetab.ini file (normally 15k)
                      > > and replace it with a basic 5k version.
                      > >
                      > > This comment told me that I don't know about a notetab.ini file and a
                      > > search says I don't have one. Should I have one? Where is it?
                      > > Thanks. Forrest
                      > Forest:
                      > The file you s/b be looking for is "notepro.ini" - Notetab (light and
                      > standard) use an executable named Notetab.exe and an ini file named
                      > Notetab.ini. Notetab Pro uses Notepro.exe and Notepro.ini and you said
                      > you are using the Pro version. Unfortunately we tend to think of the ini
                      > file as being "notetab.ini" even though that's not really what its
                      > called :-)
                      >
                      > When Notetab is unable to find its ini file where it expects it to be it
                      > initializes all values to default values. It sounds like that is what is
                      > happening to you. Usually this is because of some kind of permissions
                      > problem (most common with Windows 7 and Vista). I still use WinXP. If
                      > you are using Windows 7 it requires Admin permissions to write to the
                      > %progfiles% location.
                      >
                      > Suggestion: get (free) Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ and use it
                      > to find your notepro.ini and make a copy of it once located and verify
                      > after making some changes to toolbuttons etc that it DOES get saved.
                      >
                      > The puzzling thing to me is that you say sometimes it is saved and
                      > sometimes not ... one thing to check ... is there by any chance ALSO a
                      > copy of notepro.ini in your %progfiles% folder? If so, Notetab will
                      > assume that is where it and all your other control files (favorites,
                      > clips etc.) are supposed to be located. If you find it in both
                      > locations, %progfiles% (eg. C:\Program Files\Notetab) and in the
                      > Documents+Settings folder (WinXP) or User folder (Windows 7) try
                      > deleting or renaming the one in %progfiles%, make some changes in
                      > Notetab, exit then check with Everything where it is being written.
                      >
                      > --
                      >

                      > After Alec's helpful clarification I went to Explorer, told it to show hidden files and searched for notepro.ini. It didn't find it on any hard drive. Are there some circumstances where the file doesn't exist? NP seems to work fine. Thanks.

                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                        This probably does not cover all possibilities, but here are two situations, that can cause mysteries with NoteTab's ini file:

                        1. A rogue clip can replace the ini file content with
                        default content (see Clipcode Help-->^!ProgIniLoad/Save),
                        or simply load a different ini file on startup (see help
                        for ^!SetIniFile). This latter could be disabled (Options-->General tab-->Clip Event Warnings==Disable Clip Events) - which has some negative side effects.

                        2. Starting NoteTab with a switch that tells NT to load with a different INI file.

                        By the way, of you were to just lose the ini file, NoteTab would start up just like after a new install (readme file, and whats new)

                        Cheers,

                        Eb