looping through a document and getting text statistics on separate parts

  • arthurkendall80
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
      I down loaded the 87 Federalist Papers from Project Gutenberg as one text file.

      Notetab was recommended to me because it was an easy way to get text statistics and it was a great find. I had the overall text statistics within 15 minutes of starting the download of Notetab!

      Now I would want to get the text statistics for each of the papers separately. Does Notetab have the capability of splitting up a file based on contents? In this instance each paper starts with "FEDERALIST No." Can Notetab create a folder with separate files for each paper and text statistics for each paper?

      Can Notetab be used to go though all the files in a folder and produce text statistics for each?

      If so where in the documentation would I look to see how to do do either or both of these tasks.
    • loro
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
        arthurkendall80 wrote:
        >Now I would want to get the text statistics for each of the papers
        >separately. Does Notetab have the capability of splitting up a file
        >based on contents? In this instance each paper starts with
        >"FEDERALIST No." Can Notetab create a folder with separate files for
        >each paper and text statistics for each paper?

        Yes, with a clip (script). Although you don't have to split the files
        if you don't need to for other reasons. Text statistics work on
        selected text also.

        >Can Notetab be used to go though all the files in a folder and
        >produce text statistics for each?

        Same answer, with a clip.

        >If so where in the documentation would I look to see how to do do
        >either or both of these tasks.

        There's a special Help file for the clip language. Help menu -> Help
        on Clip Programming.

        If you meed help with writing such a clip, please sign up to the clip list.
        <ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

        Lotta
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
          Tasks like this are usually performed by something called a clip.

          Clips are an "advanced" use of notetab (they are simple really in many
          cases but can do amazing things).

          You should post this question to the clips list and join that list:
          ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

          We try not to discuss clips on this "basic" list.

          Welcome to notetab, the single most useful program I have ever found.

          Help > help with clip programming is the answer ... but you'll do better
          to post a small sampling and ask for help writing your first couple of
          clips.