Converting .TXT URL's to .HTM URL's

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
      I started with an Internet_Addresses.TXT file and NTP 6.12 highlighted all its URL's. Then I clicked "Convert Text to HTML" in the Utilities Clipbar and produced an Internet_Addresses.HTM file, but none of the URL's were recognized by IE 8 as clickable links. I also tried the constructs:

      and

      But these did not work either.

      Is there a document Clip which will convert all .TXT URL's into clickable .HTM links? MS Wordpad 6.1 does this by default with .RTF files, and this is the .HTM click-on behavior I want to produce.

      Thanks.
      RetiredEngineer1
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
        Hi Harold,

        On 12 Jan 10 22:15 "Harold" <noffkehw@...> said:
        > Is there a document Clip which will convert all .TXT URL's into
        > clickable .HTM links?

        None of your jiggory pokery is needed. Simple CTRL-click any URL!

        Greg
      • Harold Noffke
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
          Greg:

          Sorry I did not make my request clearer. Please let me try again.

          I need a .HTM document with clickable links to take to the local public library with me. Although I have a new computer at home, my retirement pension is not adequate to fund a home wifi Internet connection at this time. This is why I visit the library for Internet work.

          The library will not allow me to install NT on their machines.

          RetiredEngineer1

          To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          From: gregchapmanuk@...
          Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:22:41 +0000
          Subject: Re: [NTB] Converting .TXT URL's to .HTM URL's

          Hi Harold,

          On 12 Jan 10 22:15 "Harold" <noffkehw@...> said:
          > Is there a document Clip which will convert all .TXT URL's into
          > clickable .HTM links?

          None of your jiggory pokery is needed. Simple CTRL-click any URL!

          Greg

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
            1. Couldn't you just store those links at an online bookmark service? Then they'd be available wherever you go.

            2. Couldn't you get dialup at home? Mine only costs $4.60 mo. :)

            > Sorry I did not make my request clearer. Please let
            > me try again.
            >

            > I need a .HTM document with clickable links to take to the
            > local public library with me. Although I have a new
            > computer at home, my retirement pension is not adequate to
            > fund a home wifi Internet connection at this time.
            > This is why I visit the library for Internet work.
            >

            > The library will not allow me to install NT on their
            > machines.

          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
              Interviewed by CNN on 12/1/2010 20:15, Harold told the world:
              > I started with an Internet_Addresses.TXT file and NTP 6.12 highlighted all its URL's. Then I clicked "Convert Text to HTML" in the Utilities Clipbar and produced an Internet_Addresses.HTM file, but none of the URL's were recognized by IE 8 as clickable links. I also tried the constructs:

              > and
              >
              > But these did not work either.

              OK. Let's see...
              1. Click on "Convert Text to HTML".
              2.Try this search & replace with the "Regular Expressions" option active:
              Search for: http://[^\s]+
              Replace with: <a href="$0">$0</a>

              This syntax is for Notetab 5.0 and newer.

              --
              MCBastos

              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

              -=-=-
              ... BOFH excuse #225:
              It's those computer people in X {city of world}. They keep stuffing
              things up.
              *Added by TagZilla 0.0661 running on Seamonkey 2.0.2 *
              http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla
            • Harold Noffke
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
                Sisterscape:

                Could you please direct me to one or more online bookmark services? I did no know these existed.

                Thanks.

                RetiredEngineer1

                To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                From: sisterscape@...
                Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:28:05 -0800

                1. Couldn't you just store those links at an online bookmark service? Then they'd be available wherever you go.

                2. Couldn't you get dialup at home? Mine only costs $4.60 mo. :)

                > Sorry I did not make my request clearer. Please let
                > me try again.
                >

                > I need a .HTM document with clickable links to take to the
                > local public library with me. Although I have a new
                > computer at home, my retirement pension is not adequate to
                > fund a home wifi Internet connection at this time.
                > This is why I visit the library for Internet work.
                >

                > The library will not allow me to install NT on their
                > machines.

              • Margaret Peloquin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
                  I use Delicious.com myself. It's free and easy to use.
                  http://delicious.com

                  Harold Noffke wrote:
                  > Sisterscape:
                  >

                  > Could you please direct me to one or more online bookmark services? I did no know these existed.
                  >

                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > RetiredEngineer1
                  >

                  > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: sisterscape@...
                  > Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:28:05 -0800
                  > Subject: RE: [NTB] Converting .TXT URL's to .HTM URL's
                  >

                  > 1. Couldn't you just store those links at an online bookmark service? Then they'd be available wherever you go.
                  >
                  > 2. Couldn't you get dialup at home? Mine only costs $4.60 mo. :)

                  Margaret Peloquin, Head Librarian / EVC
                  Austin Community College
                  3401 Webberville Rd, Austin, Texas 78702
                  512.223.5117 || Fax: 512.223.5111
                  peloquin@... || http://library.austincc.edu

                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
                    Harold,

                    1) NetZero is still available. It is a free (advertisement supported), ISP
                    limited to
                    10 hours per month dial-up service. This is enough for email and very minimal
                    web surfing. http://www.netzero.net/start/landing.do?page=www/free/index

                    2) It is unclear what you are trying to convert. A clickable link is just a
                    properly
                    formatted text string. In many documents a simple (complete) URL, such as
                    http://www.BusinessName.net is recognized and is clickable. However, in an
                    HTML document, there are further requirements.

                    3) The proper format for a clickable link in an HTML document is:

                    where url = your target URL such as http://www.BusinessName.net

                    Note that there is no "^" in the url and the "a" tag is "closed" with a "</a>"
                    that is why neither of your examples worked.

                    and

                    In addition, to be complete, your list of links should be wrapped with HTML
                    document beginning an end tags:

                    (The <br> tag is an HTML carriage return, required since HTML ignores
                    regular carriage returns and multiple spaces.)

                    4) Presummably you are using a USB stick to contain your list of links.
                    Trying loading a portable editor on your stick. Even try loading NTB on the
                    stick. I seem to remember that NTB would run even without a formal
                    installation.

                    5) If you are actually trying to convert something we need more information.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Namaste', Art

                    At 01-12-10 14:36, you wrote:
                    >Greg:
                    >Sorry I did not make my request clearer. Please let me try again.
                    >
                    >I need a .HTM document with clickable links to take to the local public
                    >library with me. Although I have a new computer at home, my retirement
                    >pension is not adequate to fund a home wifi Internet connection at this
                    >time. This is why I visit the library for Internet work.
                    >
                    >The library will not allow me to install NT on their machines.
                    >
                    >RetiredEngineer1

                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
                      I don't use any of them (I only work at home from one computer) but I see their little icons all over the web. Delicious is certainly one of the most popular. But Google will help you find many more.

                      As to dialup . . . I use VTISP. Just a bare connection. No ads. I have over 100 hrs a month (used to be 150) for $4.60 mo. Juno is still around too .

                      > Could you please direct me to one or more online bookmark
                      > services? I did no know these existed.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > RetiredEngineer1

                    • Harold Noffke
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
                        I do appreciate your guidance. However, I gave up my telephone land line years ago for a cheap pay-by-the-minute cell phone. I'll keep your reply on file, though. Many thanks.

                        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                        From: sisterscape@...
                        Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:05:27 -0800

                        I don't use any of them (I only work at home from one computer) but I see their little icons all over the web. Delicious is certainly one of the most popular. But Google will help you find many more.

                        As to dialup . . . I use VTISP. Just a bare connection. No ads. I have over 100 hrs a month (used to be 150) for $4.60 mo. Juno is still around too .

                        > Could you please direct me to one or more online bookmark
                        > services? I did no know these existed.
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > RetiredEngineer1

                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
                          Google is your friend :-)
                          Your original request was a means to convert a text file list of URLs to
                          clickable links correct?
                          If you go to http://docs.google.com/ (will require a google account) and
                          create a new document and simply copy the text of your links (in Notetab
                          or Notepad from your USB stick) and paste into the Google document it
                          will recognize all links (just as would MS-Word) and underline them.

                          Then go into View mode and you will be able to click any of them.

                          Note: same trick will also work with a Gmail account - create a draft
                          email and never send it. Not tested - probably works with Hotmail as well?