Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTB] Re: Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

Expand Messages
  • Greg Chapman
    Hi Brother, ... If your site is substantially completed, I d probably leave it as it is. If it s going to expand to a significantly larger number of pages, I d
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Brother,

      On 06 Jan 10 15:20 Brother Gabriel-Marie <brgabriel@...> said:
      > Well, I have about 40 pages decked out with this line for the
      > doctype (and all my tags are strictly closed):
      >
      > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
      > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
      >
      > Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it
      > seems to work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.

      If your site is substantially completed, I'd probably leave it as it
      is. If it's going to expand to a significantly larger number of pages,
      I'd install HTML Tidy and allow that to work its magic and do the bulk
      of any alteration that's needed to adapt the code.

      Greg
    • loro
      ... No, why? It won t stop working. Browsers don t understand or care about doctypes (more than for deciding what rendering mode to use, but that s a whole
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:
        ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
        >"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
        >
        >Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it seems to
        >work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.

        No, why? It won't stop working. Browsers don't understand or care
        about doctypes (more than for deciding what rendering mode to use,
        but that's a whole other thing). Neither do they care if you write
        HTML or XHTML. As longs as the pages are served as text/html they
        will be treated the same. The X never mattered and it won't harm anything now.

        Lotta
      • brother.gabriel
        Thanks, y all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I should continue to
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do until I am actually forced to change it.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Brother Gabriel-Marie <brgabriel@...> wrote:
          >
          > Well, I have about 40 pages decked out with this line for the doctype
          > (and all my tags are strictly closed):
          >
          > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
          > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
          >
          > Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it seems to
          > work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.
          >
        • loro
          ... It doesn t matter. Lotta
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            brother.gabriel wrote:
            >Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like
            >closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I
            >should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write
            >something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do
            >until I am actually forced to change it.

            It doesn't matter.

            Lotta
          • Jeff Seager
            The important thing is to use the doctype you specify, and to check your code carefully to be sure it s valid. You ll have an easier time of it later if you
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              The important thing is to use the doctype you specify, and to check your code carefully to be sure it's valid. You'll have an easier time of it later if you use external CSS and scripts, too. All this will make future changes easier to manage.

              Jeff











              brother.gabriel wrote:

              >Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like

              >closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I

              >should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write

              >something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do

              >until I am actually forced to change it.



              It doesn't matter.



              Lotta





              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.