Re: [NTB] Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

  • loro
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
      Tony wrote:
      >I agree, sadly. I spent some time learning XHTML and think that it is
      >an improvement on HTML 4 in some ways, but I have to agree that without
      >the support of the W3C it is a dead end.

      It doesn't die just because they cease to develop new versions. HTML
      has been "dead" a long time now. I've used it all the time and that
      didn't hurt me any. Besides, HTML5 actually is HTML5 + XHTML5. Don't
      think you are supposed to use XHTML syntax though, but I could be
      wrong bout that. Who knows, in 10 years from now maybe XHTML is
      resurrected in even greater glory than when it was created, if such
      great a glory is even fathomable. <snicker>

      <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml>

      When will it end, huh?

      Lotta
    • Brother Gabriel-Marie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2010
        Well, I have about 40 pages decked out with this line for the doctype
        (and all my tags are strictly closed):

        Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it seems to
        work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi Brother,

          On 06 Jan 10 15:20 Brother Gabriel-Marie <brgabriel@...> said:
          > Well, I have about 40 pages decked out with this line for the
          > doctype (and all my tags are strictly closed):

          > Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it
          > seems to work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.

          If your site is substantially completed, I'd probably leave it as it
          is. If it's going to expand to a significantly larger number of pages,
          I'd install HTML Tidy and allow that to work its magic and do the bulk
          of any alteration that's needed to adapt the code.

          Greg
        • loro
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
            Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:
            ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
            >"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
            >
            >Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it seems to
            >work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.

            No, why? It won't stop working. Browsers don't understand or care
            about doctypes (more than for deciding what rendering mode to use,
            but that's a whole other thing). Neither do they care if you write
            HTML or XHTML. As longs as the pages are served as text/html they
            will be treated the same. The X never mattered and it won't harm anything now.

            Lotta
          • brother.gabriel
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
              Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do until I am actually forced to change it.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
                brother.gabriel wrote:
                >Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like
                >closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I
                >should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write
                >something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do
                >until I am actually forced to change it.

                It doesn't matter.

                Lotta
              • Jeff Seager
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
                  The important thing is to use the doctype you specify, and to check your code carefully to be sure it's valid. You'll have an easier time of it later if you use external CSS and scripts, too. All this will make future changes easier to manage.

                  Jeff