Re: Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

  • brother.gabriel
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
      I too am a relatively new "web master", and I had taken to using XHTML also. After reading Mr. Chapman's words, does anyone else second that opinion? And then, what would I have to do differently to change from xhtml to something more comparable?

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Seager <abrojos@...> wrote:

      > This clip library might be of use to you, Forrest:
      > http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/xml.zip
      >
      > It includes XHTML markup. For further reference:
      > http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Jeff Seager
      >

      > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      > From: forrest@...
      > Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 20:39:42 +0000
      > Subject: [NTB] Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

      > I notice that HTML generated by NT pro does not follow XHTML rules. Specifically elements are not closed. Since I am just starting I would like to write in a way that is considered 'proper'. Is it easy to modify what NT produces when I select a given HTML element. e.g. change line break so instead of generating <br> it generates <br />.
      >
      > ???
      >
      > thanks.

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
        I like xhtml, it's clean, it makes sense, all tags close. However I
        think we belong on the html list ...
        I'll copy this there. Many significant sites are coded in xhtml.

        brother.gabriel wrote:
        > I too am a relatively new "web master", and I had taken to using XHTML also. After reading Mr. Chapman's words, does anyone else second that opinion? And then, what would I have to do differently to change from xhtml to something more comparable?
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Seager <abrojos@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> This clip library might be of use to you, Forrest:
        >> http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/xml.zip
        >>
        >> It includes XHTML markup. For further reference:
        >> http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp
        >>
        >> Best wishes,
        >> Jeff Seager
      • Jeff Seager
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
          I understand the perception that XHTML is a "false trail," and I neither agree nor disagree. Greg has valid reasons for saying so. As Don says, and as the W3C says, it has its advantages because it is a strict implementation of HTML protocols. I think its requirements are beneficial for learning and for more efficient maintenance and standards compliance, and I believe it's important for me to leave behind a trail of code that others can understand and maintain easily. I use the XHTML 1.0 Transitional DOCTYPE routinely, and I may eventually switch over to HTML 5 for some sites but I seriously doubt that I'll go back and re-code anything.

          The most important thing is that you specify a DOCTYPE and write to that standard (but please stay away from anything earlier than HTML 4).

          Early versions of HTML had very loose rules, but I think "end tags" were always allowed even though they weren't required. I've always used and recommended them (I started with HTML 3.2), and even if you don't use XHTML I think it's very wise to follow its strict rules. It may be worthwhile to dig around on the Web a bit using the search keywords "advantages of XHTML" (including the quotes). Among what you'll find is this:
          http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2004/xhtml-faq.html#advantages

          In my opinion, XHTML is a perfectly valid branch of HTML and it qualifies for discussion in this forum. But I'm not in charge of the forum, so ...

          What would you have to do to change from XHTML? Depending on how far along you are, on a static website it may be as simple as changing the DOCTYPE at the top of your HTML files.

          Jeff Seager

          To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          From: brgabriel@...
          Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:24:11 +0000
          Subject: [NTB] Re: Just learning HTML, wanting to follow XHTML rules

          I too am a relatively new "web master", and I had taken to using XHTML also. After reading Mr. Chapman's words, does anyone else second that opinion? And then, what would I have to do differently to change from xhtml to something more comparable?

        • Tony McC
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
            On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 23:55:54 -0000
            Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

            > Hi Forrest,
            >
            > On 02 Jan 10 20:39 "fo2resthawkins" <forrest@...> said:
            > > I notice that HTML generated by NT pro does not follow XHTML rules.
            > > Specifically elements are not closed. Since I am just starting I
            > > would like to write in a way that is considered 'proper'.
            >
            > I don't regard XHTML as "proper". As far as I can see XHTML is now
            > accepted by the W3C as a false trail and of no significant value to
            > conventional web sites.
            >
            > As I understand it, no common browser actually reads the stuff. It
            > just converts it to HTML before rendering it. The W3C are now hard at
            > work developing HTML5 to replace the current version of HTML.
            >
            > In short, don't bother with XHTML. It's largely a waste of time.
            > Instead work to a STRICT DocType using HTML4.01 and CSS and you should
            > have future-proofed your code, as far as that is ever possible.
            >
            > If we need to, perhaps further discussion on this should take place on
            > the [NH] (NoteTab HTML) list.
            >
            > Greg

            I agree, sadly. I spent some time learning XHTML and think that it is
            an improvement on HTML 4 in some ways, but I have to agree that without
            the support of the W3C it is a dead end. A year or so ago I,resolved
            to use only HTML 4.01 strict with CSS and that seems to work fine with
            existing browsers. I wish XHTML had worked out, but there's no way back
            now. Those who read comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html soon realise
            that XHTML was a false start. I haven't looked much at HTML 5 yet,
            maybe that picks up some good things?

            Tony
          • loro
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2010
              Tony wrote:
              >I agree, sadly. I spent some time learning XHTML and think that it is
              >an improvement on HTML 4 in some ways, but I have to agree that without
              >the support of the W3C it is a dead end.

              It doesn't die just because they cease to develop new versions. HTML
              has been "dead" a long time now. I've used it all the time and that
              didn't hurt me any. Besides, HTML5 actually is HTML5 + XHTML5. Don't
              think you are supposed to use XHTML syntax though, but I could be
              wrong bout that. Who knows, in 10 years from now maybe XHTML is
              resurrected in even greater glory than when it was created, if such
              great a glory is even fathomable. <snicker>

              <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml>

              When will it end, huh?

              Lotta
            • Brother Gabriel-Marie
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2010
                Well, I have about 40 pages decked out with this line for the doctype
                (and all my tags are strictly closed):

                Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it seems to
                work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Hi Brother,

                  On 06 Jan 10 15:20 Brother Gabriel-Marie <brgabriel@...> said:
                  > Well, I have about 40 pages decked out with this line for the
                  > doctype (and all my tags are strictly closed):

                  > Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it
                  > seems to work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.

                  If your site is substantially completed, I'd probably leave it as it
                  is. If it's going to expand to a significantly larger number of pages,
                  I'd install HTML Tidy and allow that to work its magic and do the bulk
                  of any alteration that's needed to adapt the code.

                  Greg
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:
                    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
                    >"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                    >
                    >Do you all think I should change it or leave it? Right now, it seems to
                    >work in Firefox (what doesn't?) and IE6+.

                    No, why? It won't stop working. Browsers don't understand or care
                    about doctypes (more than for deciding what rendering mode to use,
                    but that's a whole other thing). Neither do they care if you write
                    HTML or XHTML. As longs as the pages are served as text/html they
                    will be treated the same. The X never mattered and it won't harm anything now.

                    Lotta
                  • brother.gabriel
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
                      Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do until I am actually forced to change it.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
                        brother.gabriel wrote:
                        >Thanks, y'all for your advice. I like clean, clear code, and I like
                        >closing all my tags. Then, when I write new pages, do you think I
                        >should continue to write the xhtml doctype, or should I write
                        >something else? Whatever I choose to do now I will probably do
                        >until I am actually forced to change it.

                        It doesn't matter.

                        Lotta
                      • Jeff Seager
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
                          The important thing is to use the doctype you specify, and to check your code carefully to be sure it's valid. You'll have an easier time of it later if you use external CSS and scripts, too. All this will make future changes easier to manage.

                          Jeff