Find & Replace All within selected text?

  • yname110
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2009
      Is it possible to Search & Replace All within selected text only? I know how to search & replace all for the whole document. But, sometime I want to find and replace multiple item only in a portion of a document. Is this possible in NoteTab Light? Is it possible in the full version of NoteTab?
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
        It is possible, I do it all the time. First you must Find your block of text, which makes it all selected. Then you use
        an S in your options, so it works only on selected text. It works in all versions.

        Regards,

        John

        Is it possible to Search & Replace All within selected text only? I know how to search & replace all for the whole
        document. But, sometime I want to find and replace multiple item only in a portion of a document. Is this possible in
        NoteTab Light? Is it possible in the full version of NoteTab?

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > It is possible, I do it all the time. First you must Find your
          block of text,
          > which makes it all selected. Then you use
          > an S in your options, so it works only on selected text. It works
          in all
          > versions.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John

          Behalf Of yname110
          > Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:13 PM
          > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [NTB] Find & Replace All within selected text?
          >
          > Is it possible to Search & Replace All within selected text only?
          I know
          > how to search & replace all for the whole
          > document. But, sometime I want to find and replace multiple item
          only in
          > a portion of a document. Is this possible in NoteTab Light? Is it
          possible
          > in the full version of NoteTab?

          yname & John,

          Not to be argumentative but, 'S' is for silent searches (no extra
          dialog popups). 'H' is the letter option to use for search/replace
          within a selected block.

          ºvº SL_day# 001 - created 2010.01.01_09.54.08

          *A GUY WHO DRIVES*
          • *A CAR WIDE OPEN*
          • *IS NOT THINKIN'*
          • *HE'S JUST HOPIN'*
          • *BurmaShave*

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
            Well, of course you're right about that, I still haven't had my coffee today (H=Highlighted).

            It's not the first time I made that mistake, but it's the first mistake I made this year! :)

            Regards,
            John

            > It is possible, I do it all the time. First you must Find your
            block of text,
            > which makes it all selected. Then you use
            > an S in your options, so it works only on selected text. It works
            in all
            > versions.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John

          • Bruce Meyers
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
              I followed this brief discussion and I have a couple of questions.

              Where do you put the "H"?  The discussion said put the "S" in your
              "options", then it was corrected to put "H" in the options instead.
              I do not find the word "options" on the search/replace dialog box, so
              I am not sure where to put that "H"

              Can you give me a short example.  Say you want to find "John" and
              replace it with "Jon" in two paragraphs of text in a longer file. I can
              highlight the proper paragraphs, but I do not know where and in
              exactly what form I should put the "H". An example would help me
              understand what to do.

              Thanks,

              Bruce Meyers

              > It is possible, I do it all the time. First you must Find your
              block of text,
              > which makes it all selected. Then you use
              > an S in your options, so it works only on selected text. It works
              in all
              > versions.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > John

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
                H is automatic Bruce in the find boxes if something is selected.

                They are talking about clips where you put characters after the find to
                set options Bruce.

                Bruce Meyers wrote:
                > I followed this brief discussion and I have a couple of questions.
                >
                > Where do you put the "H"? The discussion said put the "S" in your
                > "options", then it was corrected to put "H" in the options instead.
                > I do not find the word "options" on the search/replace dialog box, so
                > I am not sure where to put that "H"
                >
                > Can you give me a short example. Say you want to find "John" and
                > replace it with "Jon" in two paragraphs of text in a longer file. I can
                > highlight the proper paragraphs, but I do not know where and in
                > exactly what form I should put the "H". An example would help me
                > understand what to do.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Bruce Meyers
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "yname110" <yname110@...> wrote:

                  > Is it possible to Search & Replace All within selected text only?
                  > I know how to search & replace all for the whole document. But,
                  > sometime I want to find and replace multiple item only in a
                  > portion of a document. Is this possible in NoteTab Light? Is it
                  > possible in the full version of NoteTab?

                  If using the dialog box, it will usually confine the search to preselected text when you use the "Replace All" button, but not always. If the selection is small or if "All" is used instead of "Down", the selection is ignored.

                  If using a clip, you need to ensure that there IS a selection, and use the "H" option of the ^!Find or ^!Replace command. The "H" option is ignored if there is no selection.