Re: [NTB] Where Can I Find A Free Or Low-Cost .XML Reader?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
      Should probably to to off topic list eh?

      I'll copy it there. Dear retired engineer, we'll discuss most anything
      over there. We try to keep the main notetab address for very basic
      discussion of notetab. I'll copy this over there and we can pick up the
      discussion there. Okay with all?

      Marcelo Bastos wrote:
      > Interviewed by CNN on 6/12/2009 18:51, retiredengineer1 told the world:
      >> Hello again.
      >>
      >> This is more of a NoteTab technology base question than a NoteTab per se one. My Windows 7 system is generating .xml files which can't be displayed by any of my resident tools, although they sure know how to display the .xml internals if I were to want to edit them. I don't want to change them, I just want to read them.
      >>
      >> Does anyone know where I can get a *competant* .xml reader for free or for a shareware registration fee?
      >
      > Here's the thing... XML is not a specific kind of file format, it's more
      > like a language to create file formats. So, a XML file could be just
      > about any kind of data, the contents of the XML file only make sense in
      > the context of the schema referred to on its header.
      >
      > For instance, OpenOffice ODF files are XML files. And so are MS-Office
      > OOXML files (you know, those ".docx" Word files you see around). SVG
      > files are graphic vetorial files defined in terms of XML. And so on.
      >
      > So, many programs could *parse* the XML data -- Mozilla browsers, for
      > example, can understand XML -- but they still won't be able to make
      > sense of it, because they don't know the schema for that particular file.
      >
      > I don't know what are those xml files your Windows is generating --
      > maybe if you give us a few more details, we could identify how to read it.

    • Harold Noffke
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
        Don:

        Thanks for your guidance for a newbie. I should have read the list charters more closely.

        Harold

        RetiredEngineer

        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        From: don@...