Where Can I Find A Free Or Low-Cost .XML Reader?

  • retiredengineer1
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
      Hello again.

      This is more of a NoteTab technology base question than a NoteTab per se one. My Windows 7 system is generating .xml files which can't be displayed by any of my resident tools, although they sure know how to display the .xml internals if I were to want to edit them. I don't want to change them, I just want to read them.

      Does anyone know where I can get a *competant* .xml reader for free or for a shareware registration fee?

      Many thanks.
      Harold
      RetiredEngineer1
      noffkehw@...
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "retiredengineer1" <noffkehw@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know where I can get a *competant* .xml reader for
        > free or for a shareware registration fee?

        Have you tried Microsoft XML Notepad 2007? Haven't done much with it, but what little I tried, it did fine. Its a free download.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
          Interviewed by CNN on 6/12/2009 18:51, retiredengineer1 told the world:
          > Hello again.
          >
          > This is more of a NoteTab technology base question than a NoteTab per se one. My Windows 7 system is generating .xml files which can't be displayed by any of my resident tools, although they sure know how to display the .xml internals if I were to want to edit them. I don't want to change them, I just want to read them.
          >
          > Does anyone know where I can get a *competant* .xml reader for free or for a shareware registration fee?

          Here's the thing... XML is not a specific kind of file format, it's more
          like a language to create file formats. So, a XML file could be just
          about any kind of data, the contents of the XML file only make sense in
          the context of the schema referred to on its header.

          For instance, OpenOffice ODF files are XML files. And so are MS-Office
          OOXML files (you know, those ".docx" Word files you see around). SVG
          files are graphic vetorial files defined in terms of XML. And so on.

          So, many programs could *parse* the XML data -- Mozilla browsers, for
          example, can understand XML -- but they still won't be able to make
          sense of it, because they don't know the schema for that particular file.

          I don't know what are those xml files your Windows is generating --
          maybe if you give us a few more details, we could identify how to read it.

          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

          -=-=-
          ... BOFH excuse #296:
          The hardware bus needs a new token.
          * TagZilla 0.0661 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org on Seamonkey 2.0
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
            Should probably to to off topic list eh?

            I'll copy it there. Dear retired engineer, we'll discuss most anything
            over there. We try to keep the main notetab address for very basic
            discussion of notetab. I'll copy this over there and we can pick up the
            discussion there. Okay with all?

            Marcelo Bastos wrote:
            > Interviewed by CNN on 6/12/2009 18:51, retiredengineer1 told the world:
            >> Hello again.
            >>
            >> This is more of a NoteTab technology base question than a NoteTab per se one. My Windows 7 system is generating .xml files which can't be displayed by any of my resident tools, although they sure know how to display the .xml internals if I were to want to edit them. I don't want to change them, I just want to read them.
            >>
            >> Does anyone know where I can get a *competant* .xml reader for free or for a shareware registration fee?
            >
            > Here's the thing... XML is not a specific kind of file format, it's more
            > like a language to create file formats. So, a XML file could be just
            > about any kind of data, the contents of the XML file only make sense in
            > the context of the schema referred to on its header.
            >
            > For instance, OpenOffice ODF files are XML files. And so are MS-Office
            > OOXML files (you know, those ".docx" Word files you see around). SVG
            > files are graphic vetorial files defined in terms of XML. And so on.
            >
            > So, many programs could *parse* the XML data -- Mozilla browsers, for
            > example, can understand XML -- but they still won't be able to make
            > sense of it, because they don't know the schema for that particular file.
            >
            > I don't know what are those xml files your Windows is generating --
            > maybe if you give us a few more details, we could identify how to read it.

          • Harold Noffke
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
              Don:

              Thanks for your guidance for a newbie. I should have read the list charters more closely.

              Harold

              RetiredEngineer

              To: notetab@yahoogroups.com; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
              From: don@...