Re: [NTB] "Favorites" Lists Need Alphabetization

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
      Unfortunately, Notetab is lacking good tools to manage one's favorites.
      However, there are some workarounds.

      Your "Favorites" are kept in the sub-folder "\Favorites" in a plain text
      file which you can manually edit, sort, create, etc. Each category in
      Favorites | Categories corresponds to an identically named file in
      this sub-folder. You can create new Favorites categories simply by
      creating a new file (but you have to restart Notetab for it to be seen).
      Similarly, you can change a category name by renaming the file.

      So the workaround is to use Notetab to manually edit these files
      and reorganize them as you would like them. One caveat: although
      you can optionally suppress the file path from the favorites display,
      [View | Options | General | Full Names in Favorites]
      the full path will always be retained in the disk file so a simple sort
      will actually sort on the path name first.

      If your Favorites list is quite large, I would suggest dividing it up
      into various categories. Note that these categories do not need to
      be disjoint: Since they are just lines of text, an entry can appear
      in as many categories as you desire. Also be aware that a Favorites
      entry may be a folder not only a file. So I would recommend that
      one of your "Favorites" be the "\Favorites" folder. Note - a little
      trick you can use to speed up extracting entries into separate files:

      Create a new document
      Save it as new_category_name.fvr
      Toggle its pasteboard setting Document | Use as Pastebaord
      Open the source favorites file
      Now select and copy (Cntl-C) or cut (Cntl-X) each line in the source
      that you want in the new category.
      Save the target file and toggle the pasteboard off
      Repeat for each new category

      So, all well and good except "Where is my \Favorites folder?"
      Good question. The answer is "it depends"<g>. It could be in any
      number of places depending on which operating system you are
      using, Notetab version, your installation choices and your
      command line options.

      The most reliable method is to let Notetab find it using a clip
      command. Copy the following clip to you clip library, save and
      execute it to see where most of NoteTab's support folders are
      located. If you don't know how to do this, join the NoteTab Clip
      group and we'll give you help there. [This is to keep this list from
      being cluttered up with clip stuff.]

      ;"Show NTB Paths"
      ;Clip to show current NoteTab support file paths
      ;11-18-09 Created clip
      ;
      ^!Toolbar New Document
      ^!InsertText NoteTab folder locations: ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetAppPath$ = ^$GetAppPath$ ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetDataPath$ = ^$GetDataPath$ ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetDocumentPath$ = ^$GetDocumentPath$ ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetFavoritePath$ = ^$GetFavoritePath$ ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetLibraryPath$ = ^$GetLibraryPath$ ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetLibraryUserPath$ = ^$GetLibraryUserPath$ ^%NL%
      ^!InsertText $GetTmpPath$ = ^$GetTmpPath$ ^%NL%

      Another way is to use the Windows search function and search for
      Favorites.fvr. However, it may find more than one instance of the file
      name. If so, make note of all the locations and their dates and times,
      go to Notetab and make some changes to your favorites, close Notetab
      and see which file was updated.

      Have fun.

      Namaste', Art

      At 12-03-09 11:44, RetiredEngineer1 wrote:
      >Hello, NoteTabbers.
      >
      >I'm a retired engineer who is new to this group, so if I say something
      >wrong somebody please tell me.
      >I'm developing a problem with NTPv6 running on Windows 7 Home Premium
      >(64 bit) (W7HP64). My Favorites lists are getting too long to find
      >file names rapidly. I've checked NTP Help, but have found no way to
      >alphabetize them. Does anyone have a fix, a workaround, or knowledge
      >of where NTPv6 keeps its Favorites lists and whether working with these
      >can produce alphabetizations?

    • loro
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hi,

        Welcome to the list. :-)

        >My Favorites lists are getting too long to find
        >
        >file names rapidly. I've checked NTP Help, but have found no way to
        >
        >alphabetize them.

        Shift + F2 then right-click in the main window (the one where all
        files are listed) and choose Sort List from the context menu.

        Lotta