"Favorites" Lists Need Alphabetization

  • retiredengineer1
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
      Hello, NoteTabbers.

      I'm a retired engineer who is new to this group, so if I say something

      wrong somebody please tell me.

      I'm developing a problem with NTPv6 running on Windows 7 Home Premium

      (64 bit) (W7HP64). My Favorites lists are getting too long to find

      file names rapidly. I've checked NTP Help, but have found no way to

      alphabetize them. Does anyone have a fix, a workaround, or knowledge

      of where NTPv6 keeps its Favorites lists and whether working with these

      can produce alphabetizations?

      Thanks.
      RetiredEngineer1
    • AL Guevara
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
        Modify | lines | Sort, is one way,
        bit I prefer the <> method.

        Im your Fvr file, if you categorize your files like below, using the <> as a Line Spacer, and the * as a Title mark (so you dont click that. Try it with file you already have in your Fvr file, like below.

        * XP issues
        D:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\Change 2k-Winxp install location.txt
        E:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\Wndowz Errors Ive had\cant install some toolbars.txt
        C:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\Windows update wont update.txt
        D:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\Wndowz Errors Ive had\Entry Point Not Found.txt
        <>
        * Startup issues
        G:\Gzips\zips g-m\Windows Docs\MoreWin98-95startupitems.htm
        D:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\windoz startupdeal2.txt
        <>
        * Socket Errors
        C:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\Socket errors.txt
        <>
        * Secure Your Windows
        F:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\3 Steps to SECURE WINDOZ.txt
        D:\NoteTab Pro files\Windows Docs\10 Steps to SECURE WINDOZ.txt

        Al Guevara

        From: retiredengineer1 <noffkehw@...>
        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NTB] "Favorites" Lists Need Alphabetization

        >Hello, NoteTabbers.

        >I'm a retired engineer who is new to this group, so if I say something

        >wrong somebody please tell me.

        >I'm developing a problem with NTPv6 running on Windows 7 Home Premium

        >(64 bit) (W7HP64). My Favorites lists are getting too long to find

        >file names rapidly. I've checked NTP Help, but have found no way to

        >alphabetize them. Does anyone have a fix, a workaround, or knowledge

        >of where NTPv6 keeps its Favorites lists and whether working with these

        >can produce alphabetizations?

        >Thanks.
        >RetiredEngineer1

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          Unfortunately, Notetab is lacking good tools to manage one's favorites.
          However, there are some workarounds.

          Your "Favorites" are kept in the sub-folder "\Favorites" in a plain text
          file which you can manually edit, sort, create, etc. Each category in
          Favorites | Categories corresponds to an identically named file in
          this sub-folder. You can create new Favorites categories simply by
          creating a new file (but you have to restart Notetab for it to be seen).
          Similarly, you can change a category name by renaming the file.

          So the workaround is to use Notetab to manually edit these files
          and reorganize them as you would like them. One caveat: although
          you can optionally suppress the file path from the favorites display,
          [View | Options | General | Full Names in Favorites]
          the full path will always be retained in the disk file so a simple sort
          will actually sort on the path name first.

          If your Favorites list is quite large, I would suggest dividing it up
          into various categories. Note that these categories do not need to
          be disjoint: Since they are just lines of text, an entry can appear
          in as many categories as you desire. Also be aware that a Favorites
          entry may be a folder not only a file. So I would recommend that
          one of your "Favorites" be the "\Favorites" folder. Note - a little
          trick you can use to speed up extracting entries into separate files:

          Create a new document
          Save it as new_category_name.fvr
          Toggle its pasteboard setting Document | Use as Pastebaord
          Open the source favorites file
          Now select and copy (Cntl-C) or cut (Cntl-X) each line in the source
          that you want in the new category.
          Save the target file and toggle the pasteboard off
          Repeat for each new category

          So, all well and good except "Where is my \Favorites folder?"
          Good question. The answer is "it depends"<g>. It could be in any
          number of places depending on which operating system you are
          using, Notetab version, your installation choices and your
          command line options.

          The most reliable method is to let Notetab find it using a clip
          command. Copy the following clip to you clip library, save and
          execute it to see where most of NoteTab's support folders are
          located. If you don't know how to do this, join the NoteTab Clip
          group and we'll give you help there. [This is to keep this list from
          being cluttered up with clip stuff.]

          ;"Show NTB Paths"
          ;Clip to show current NoteTab support file paths
          ;11-18-09 Created clip
          ;
          ^!Toolbar New Document
          ^!InsertText NoteTab folder locations: ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetAppPath$ = ^$GetAppPath$ ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetDataPath$ = ^$GetDataPath$ ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetDocumentPath$ = ^$GetDocumentPath$ ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetFavoritePath$ = ^$GetFavoritePath$ ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetLibraryPath$ = ^$GetLibraryPath$ ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetLibraryUserPath$ = ^$GetLibraryUserPath$ ^%NL%
          ^!InsertText $GetTmpPath$ = ^$GetTmpPath$ ^%NL%

          Another way is to use the Windows search function and search for
          Favorites.fvr. However, it may find more than one instance of the file
          name. If so, make note of all the locations and their dates and times,
          go to Notetab and make some changes to your favorites, close Notetab
          and see which file was updated.

          Have fun.

          Namaste', Art

          At 12-03-09 11:44, RetiredEngineer1 wrote:
          >Hello, NoteTabbers.
          >
          >I'm a retired engineer who is new to this group, so if I say something
          >wrong somebody please tell me.
          >I'm developing a problem with NTPv6 running on Windows 7 Home Premium
          >(64 bit) (W7HP64). My Favorites lists are getting too long to find
          >file names rapidly. I've checked NTP Help, but have found no way to
          >alphabetize them. Does anyone have a fix, a workaround, or knowledge
          >of where NTPv6 keeps its Favorites lists and whether working with these
          >can produce alphabetizations?

        • loro
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
            Hi,

            Welcome to the list. :-)

            >My Favorites lists are getting too long to find
            >
            >file names rapidly. I've checked NTP Help, but have found no way to
            >
            >alphabetize them.

            Shift + F2 then right-click in the main window (the one where all
            files are listed) and choose Sort List from the context menu.

            Lotta