Re-installing NoteTab Pro

  • Bill Mosca
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2009
      I'm planning to install Windows 7 on my PC which now has XP Pro. I realize this means reinstalling all my software and am wondering if ntp6121u_Setup.exe is a full install package or if it is an update requiring NoteTab to already be installed.

      Can someone clarify this for me?

      Regards,
      Bill Mosca
      http://www.thatlldoit.com
      Microsoft Office Access MVP
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2009
        Bill Mosca wrote:

        > I'm planning to install Windows 7 on my PC which now has XP Pro. I
        > realize this means reinstalling all my software and am wondering if
        > ntp6121u_Setup.exe is a full install package or if it is an update
        > requiring NoteTab to already be installed.
        >
        > Can someone clarify this for me?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Bill Mosca
        > http://www.thatlldoit.com <http://www.thatlldoit.com>
        > Microsoft Office Access MVP

        I just checked which NTB installer I used to install NTB on new Win 7
        and it is ntp6121u_Setup.exe; all is well, so as as far as I can see,
        there is no problem in using that version.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2009
          I did exactly the same thing. I saved my entire XP NoteTab install folder in a safe place before installing Win7, then
          in Win7, I copied it back before reinstalling NoteTab Pro. It worked just fine, and I had all my settings intact as
          well. Painless.

          Regards,

          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2009
            Interviewed by CNN on 18/11/2009 13:52, Bill Mosca told the world:
            > I'm planning to install Windows 7 on my PC which now has XP Pro. I realize this means reinstalling all my software and am wondering if ntp6121u_Setup.exe is a full install package or if it is an update requiring NoteTab to already be installed.

            According to official sources (and my experience), it is a complete
            install -- kinda. Some auxiliary files (dictionaries, example files,
            audio files and such) are not contained in it. You can either download
            them as separate packages from the Notetab site (a bother), or do as
            John Shotsky suggested and back up your entire Notetab application
            folder, in order to copy them back after the reinstall.

            I recommend also backing up the Notetab folder in your *profile* --
            there's where all the settings are stored. As a matter of fact, just to
            be sure you didn't miss anything (for Notetab AND for any other apps) I
            recommend backing up your entire "Documents & Settings" tree.

            (In order to make the backup a little bit smaller, you might want to run
            CCleaner or a similar utility beforehand -- it will find a lot of
            useless stuff, like old temp files, which can be safely deleted).
            --
            MCBastos

            use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

            -=-=-
            ... I believe in a god which doesn't need heavy financing
            * TagZilla 0.0661 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org on Seamonkey 2.0
          • Bill Mosca
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 18, 2009
              Thank you all for the information and caveats. Win 7 does have a settings utility that you can supposedly run before the Win 7 install. Then once you install all your programs again you re-run the utility to get those setting back in place.

              Hopefully, that will work as advertized. But maybe backing up the entire NoteTab folder is the best approach..

              Bill