Re: NTP 6.12 and UTF-8

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "corl_deluna" <corl@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sheri,
      >
      > Nice touch with the %0.2d.htm. Thank you very much.
      >
      > Test? When I right click on the tab of the document the UTF-8
      > template just made, Code Page shows System Code Page (1252).
      > Though all the browsers show the encoding as UTF-8, except Opera
      > 10, and Safari 4 -- which didn't specify. Or do you mean
      > something else when you say test?

      NoteTab uses code pages internally, it is not a unicode editor. That is explained in the Help file. Usually it is desirable that the document is presented using your system code page. However, you can view documents that use other code pages, and there are some sample Cyrillic and other documents that come with NoteTab you can load and examine. UTF-8 is a unicode encoding wherein ASCII characters use the same representations as ANSI code pages. They are the first 127 characters. Other characters, such as accented characters, are encoded with multiple bytes. If you want to see the accented characters, stay with the system code page (or other appropriate code page, for Cyrillic, etc.). If you want see strange looking multiple characters instead of accented letters, use raw UTF-8.

      The point for UTF-8 html pages is that despite that NoteTab decodes them for viewing and editing, the files are created and saved using UTF-8 encoding (i.e., multiple bytes for accented characters) and they load and can be viewed properly in the browser as UTF-8/Unicode.

      Regards,
      Sheri