Re: [NTB] Concatenation of files

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
      > yes it can ...
      > ^!AppendToFile "FileName" AnyText
      > Appends the specified text to the end of a disk file. A new file is
      > created if FileName does not exist.
      >
      > Open all, copy to clipboard, append to file contents of clipboard, close
      > file and move to the next one.
      >

      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      >
      >> Greetings,
      >> I have 20 or so files,each with the same name, but in different folders.
      >> I want to concatenate them into one file.
      >> Can this be done in NT?
      >>
      >> I searched the Help files, but I did not find anything.
      >> Thanks,
      >> -Mike

      ^!InsertFile "FileName"

      will insert the contents of the referenced file to the current cursor
      position in the current document.

      But this is not the list for discussing clips.

      You can do the same thing one file at a time without a clip using Insert
      File... from the Document menu.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
        > yes it can ...
        > ^!AppendToFile "FileName" AnyText
        > Appends the specified text to the end of a disk file. A new file is
        > created if FileName does not exist.
        >
        > Open all, copy to clipboard, append to file contents of clipboard, close
        > file and move to the next one.

        I don't understand.
        You need to dumb it down a bit.

        Thanks,
        -Mike

        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        >> Greetings,
        >> I have 20 or so files,each with the same name, but in different folders.
        >> I want to concatenate them into one file.
        >> Can this be done in NT?
        >>
        >> I searched the Help files, but I did not find anything.
        >> Thanks,
        >> -Mike

        > ---
        > Virus Database (VPS): 091106-1, 11/06/2009
        > Tested on: 11/6/2009 12:01:52 PM

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
          Sheri wrote:
          > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          >> yes it can ...
          >> ^!AppendToFile "FileName" AnyText
          >> Appends the specified text to the end of a disk file. A new file is
          >> created if FileName does not exist.
          >>
          >> Open all, copy to clipboard, append to file contents of clipboard, close
          >> file and move to the next one.
          >>

          >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          >>
          >>> Greetings,
          >>> I have 20 or so files,each with the same name, but in different folders.
          >>> I want to concatenate them into one file.
          >>> Can this be done in NT?
          >>>
          >>> I searched the Help files, but I did not find anything.
          >>> Thanks,
          >>> -Mike

          <SNIP>

          > You can do the same thing one file at a time without a clip using Insert
          > File... from the Document menu.

          This looks like the simple way to go.

          Being lazy, I had hope there was a way to jump from folder to folder and
          concatenate all files name index.html to a specified output file.
          Thanks!
          -Mike

          > Regards, Sheri
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
            There is, write the clips list. Are they all in one parent directory?
            Or are they scattered all over the place?

            I'll copy the clips list on this and let this thread die as this list is
            for basic notetab and you are looking for a simple clip.

            > This looks like the simple way to go.
            >
            > Being lazy, I had hope there was a way to jump from folder to folder and
            > concatenate all files name index.html to a specified output file.
            > Thanks!
            > -Mike

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2009
              Mike,

              You don't need clips for this, as long as your only talking around 20 files. It will be slower than running a clip, but faster than most other ways:

              1. Open a NEW document
              2. Make it the "PasteBoard"
              SHIFT+CTRL+P
              3. Open the 20 or so files,
              4. Click the tab for each file
              5. Select ALL (Edit menu)

              OR CTRL+A

              6. Copy the selected text to the clipboard

              7. When all files have been copied,
              SAVE the new document as the concatenated file.

              Cheers,

              Eb

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

              > I don't understand.
              > You need to dumb it down a bit.
            • Pete Turner
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2009
                Quicker yet, Mike: create yourself a .bat file:-

                type c:\temp\page1.htm > c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                type c:\temp\page2.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                type c:\temp\page3.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                .
                .
                .
                type c:\temp\page99.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt

                Note > for the first input file (create or clear the output file), >> for the subsequent input files (append to the output file).

                Then run it from the dos command prompt, and open the output file in your editor of choice.

                That's NoteTab, naturally :)

                Pete

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
                  ebbtidalflats wrote:
                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > You don't need clips for this, as long as your only talking around 20 files. It will be slower than running a clip, but faster than most other ways:

                  > 1. Open a NEW document
                  > 2. Make it the "PasteBoard"
                  > SHIFT+CTRL+P
                  > 3. Open the 20 or so files,
                  > 4. Click the tab for each file
                  > 5. Select ALL (Edit menu)
                  >
                  > OR CTRL+A
                  >
                  > 6. Copy the selected text to the clipboard
                  >
                  > 7. When all files have been copied,
                  > SAVE the new document as the concatenated file.
                  > Cheers, Eb

                  Interesting.
                  I always wondered what the Pasteboard was for.
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
                    Pete Turner wrote:
                    > Quicker yet, Mike: create yourself a .bat file:-
                    >
                    > type c:\temp\page1.htm > c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                    > type c:\temp\page2.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                    > type c:\temp\page3.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > type c:\temp\page99.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                    >
                    > Note > for the first input file (create or clear the output file), >> for the subsequent input files (append to the output file).
                    >
                    > Then run it from the dos command prompt, and open the output file in your editor of choice.
                    >
                    > That's NoteTab, naturally :) Pete

                    I knew there had to be a way to do this with DOS, but I could not turn
                    one up.
                    Thanks!
                    -Mike
                  • Marcelo Bastos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
                      Interviewed by CNN on 10/11/2009 02:41, Pete Turner told the world:
                      > Quicker yet, Mike: create yourself a .bat file:-
                      >
                      > type c:\temp\page1.htm > c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                      > type c:\temp\page2.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                      > type c:\temp\page3.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > type c:\temp\page99.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt

                      Even easier:

                      copy page1.htm+page2.htm+page3.htm+...+page99.htm concatenated.txt
                      --
                      MCBastos

                      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                      -=-=-
                      ... Conformity obstructs progress.
                      * TagZilla 0.0661 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org on Seamonkey 2.0
                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
                        Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                        > Interviewed by CNN on 10/11/2009 02:41, Pete Turner told the world:
                        >> Quicker yet, Mike: create yourself a .bat file:-
                        >>
                        >> type c:\temp\page1.htm > c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                        >> type c:\temp\page2.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                        >> type c:\temp\page3.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                        >> .
                        >> .
                        >> .
                        >> type c:\temp\page99.htm >> c:\temp\concatenated.txt
                        >>

                        > Even easier:
                        >
                        > copy page1.htm+page2.htm+page3.htm+...+page99.htm concatenated.txt

                        Many ways to skin a cat!
                        Thanks,
                        -Mike
                        --