Re: [NTB] problems with 6.12 ... is it unique or are others having the same issue ...

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
      You can either upload it to Yahoogroups so others on this list can test
      it, or send it to our support address.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

      Don Beam wrote:
      > When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
      > assume it will be sent the this email address ?
      >

      > Don

    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
        I haven't had your problem but have another problem that makes 6.12 too
        dangerous for me to use. In previous versions (up to and including v5.8/fv
        std), NoteTab would add spurious garbage to the end of HTM files. The
        garbage was always added following the </html> tag and looked like buffer
        contents of other files from a group load. The problem was intermittent
        (20% to 50% of the time) and annoying but not dangerous (most browsers
        ignore anything after the </html> tag. I just wrote a clip to delete the
        garbage.

        However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
        files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
        were also other issues but can't remember them now.

        Art

        At 02-11-2009 14:09, you wrote:
        >Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
        >To: 'Fookes Software'
        >Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab
        >Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
        >
        >I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am
        >experiencing significant issues ....
        >
        >Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length
        >file ....
        >
        >The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character
        >of the string ...
        >
        >I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been
        >identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so
        >what do you recommend?

      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
          Hi Art,

          > However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
          > files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
          > were also other issues but can't remember them now.

          It's the first time I hear of such a problem. It must have required very
          special conditions to surface or we'd have heard about it from other
          users too. Please send us a sample file that shows the issue.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
            Hi Eric, and Don if you're still following this thread,

            If a file starts with CTRL+Z (0x1A), which by the way is only a single bit different from a linefeed (0x0A), Windows may interpret it as zero-length, even though the text is still there.

            That brings up the question, where did Don get the zero length from? Windows Explore, or NoteTab? (selecting ALL in the editor will tell you how long NoteTab thinks the file is, in the status bar).

            Some random thoughs:
            When shutting down to "hibernate" repeatedly without complete shutdowns, I eventually wind up with SOMETHING corrupted. Sooner or later there's a glitch in reading and/or writing the hibernation file.

            NoteTab seems more sensitive to this than other applications, though Windows Explorer likes to lock up under such conditions.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            > You can either upload it to Yahoogroups so others on this list can test
            > it, or send it to our support address.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Eric Fookes
            > http://www.fookes.com/
            >

            > Don Beam wrote:
            > > When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
            > > assume it will be sent the this email address ?
            > >

            > > Don

          • Don Beam
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
              Okay, based on the your comments of no known issues, I installed Notetab
              6.121u .. and then the series of files that reflected the problem .. On the
              new machine all worked okay .

              I deleted Notetab and did the same on another machine .. .all worked okay .

              So . .based on this test .. I have to assume (I hope correctly) that this
              was a single event . so I then deleted Notetab from that machine and then
              all that I could from my machine and reinstalled Notetab.

              I have done a couple of tests .. and so far okay .

              Fingers crossed .

              Tanx .. .Don