RE: [NTB] problems with 6.12 ... is it unique or are others having the same issue ...

  • Don Beam
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
      I downloaded the update around Oct 12/09.

      I use Notetab as my prime text editor .. and do not use many of the
      functions that expand its use (lazy I guess).

      Where I found the problem was with files (some with extensions of .txt and
      some not). These files are normally around 3-5k in size.

      All these files are used in a Windows environment thus only pure Microsoft
      ASCII files .. I do not believe that any other file uses any other character
      scheme.

      I have gone back to 5.7 as I cannot afford to lose files again .. so if I
      install 6.12 again, I will have to do it on a special machine ..

      The issue was discovered right after upgrading to the new version .. and
      starting to edit some files .. only finding that to search the new software
      would only allow the first character to be used. . then after thinking I had
      updated a couple of files, I then had to go back to one of them approx 3 hrs
      later .. only to see that the file was there .. but with no data. .. I then
      checked the other files I had been updating .. and saw they were zero length
      as well.

      I immediately deleted 6.12 and reinstalled 5.7.

      Don

      From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
        Hi Don,

        Could you send us a sample file that exhibits the problem (in a ZIP
        attachment) along with instructions to reproduce the issue?

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
          When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
          assume it will be sent the this email address ?

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
            You can either upload it to Yahoogroups so others on this list can test
            it, or send it to our support address.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/

            Don Beam wrote:
            > When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
            > assume it will be sent the this email address ?
            >

            > Don

          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
              I haven't had your problem but have another problem that makes 6.12 too
              dangerous for me to use. In previous versions (up to and including v5.8/fv
              std), NoteTab would add spurious garbage to the end of HTM files. The
              garbage was always added following the </html> tag and looked like buffer
              contents of other files from a group load. The problem was intermittent
              (20% to 50% of the time) and annoying but not dangerous (most browsers
              ignore anything after the </html> tag. I just wrote a clip to delete the
              garbage.

              However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
              files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
              were also other issues but can't remember them now.

              Art

              At 02-11-2009 14:09, you wrote:
              >Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
              >To: 'Fookes Software'
              >Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab
              >Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
              >
              >I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am
              >experiencing significant issues ....
              >
              >Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length
              >file ....
              >
              >The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character
              >of the string ...
              >
              >I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been
              >identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so
              >what do you recommend?

            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                Hi Art,

                > However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                > files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                > were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                It's the first time I hear of such a problem. It must have required very
                special conditions to surface or we'd have heard about it from other
                users too. Please send us a sample file that shows the issue.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • ebbtidalflats
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                  Hi Eric, and Don if you're still following this thread,

                  If a file starts with CTRL+Z (0x1A), which by the way is only a single bit different from a linefeed (0x0A), Windows may interpret it as zero-length, even though the text is still there.

                  That brings up the question, where did Don get the zero length from? Windows Explore, or NoteTab? (selecting ALL in the editor will tell you how long NoteTab thinks the file is, in the status bar).

                  Some random thoughs:
                  When shutting down to "hibernate" repeatedly without complete shutdowns, I eventually wind up with SOMETHING corrupted. Sooner or later there's a glitch in reading and/or writing the hibernation file.

                  NoteTab seems more sensitive to this than other applications, though Windows Explorer likes to lock up under such conditions.

                  Cheers,

                  Eb

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Okay, based on the your comments of no known issues, I installed Notetab
                    6.121u .. and then the series of files that reflected the problem .. On the
                    new machine all worked okay .

                    I deleted Notetab and did the same on another machine .. .all worked okay .

                    So . .based on this test .. I have to assume (I hope correctly) that this
                    was a single event . so I then deleted Notetab from that machine and then
                    all that I could from my machine and reinstalled Notetab.

                    I have done a couple of tests .. and so far okay .

                    Fingers crossed .

                    Tanx .. .Don