RE: [NTB] problems with 6.12 ... is it unique or are others having the same issue ...

  • Don Beam
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
      Simple text files .. of approx 2-15k in size.

      What do you suggest .. there is some indication that there are two versions
      of 6.12 out .. should I re download and try again???

      Don

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
        Hi Don,

        There was indeed a slipstream update for version 6.12, when we
        discovered that in some rare cases ANSI files were misidentified as
        Unicode. The NoteTab files installed by the slipstream update have a
        June 16 date stamp. The original release has files with a June 12 date
        stamp.

        If you have the older version, you can download the latest update
        through NoteTab's "Check for Updates" feature, which is available from
        the Help menu. If you don't see the update link in the News and Updates
        window, make sure you click on the "Get headlines" button at the
        top-left of the dialog box to refresh the list.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        Don Beam wrote:
        > Simple text files .. of approx 2-15k in size.
        >
        > What do you suggest .. there is some indication that there are two versions
        > of 6.12 out .. should I re download and try again???
        >
        > Don

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
          It depends on when you downloaded it. There was only a brief time the first
          version was out before it was replaced. I happened to get the first version
          and had to redownload. I think that was back in June-July. It has been
          stable since then, so if you have a recent download, you've got the current
          version. You might also look at whether you're got pure text or some mixed
          in Unicode. I've found that copying a text file and pasting it into a new
          file will often clear issues like that. Or you can post your file and clip
          in the Files section at the group site for someone else to look at. Describe
          the before and after states of your text.

          John

          From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

          Don Beam wrote:
          > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
          from
          > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
          >
          > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
          > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
          > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
          the
          > most current version working properly.
          >
          > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
          > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
          >
          > Thanks for your help .
          >
          > Don Beam
          >

          > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
          [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
          > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
          > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
          > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
          > blocking our replies.

        • Don Beam
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
            I downloaded the update around Oct 12/09.

            I use Notetab as my prime text editor .. and do not use many of the
            functions that expand its use (lazy I guess).

            Where I found the problem was with files (some with extensions of .txt and
            some not). These files are normally around 3-5k in size.

            All these files are used in a Windows environment thus only pure Microsoft
            ASCII files .. I do not believe that any other file uses any other character
            scheme.

            I have gone back to 5.7 as I cannot afford to lose files again .. so if I
            install 6.12 again, I will have to do it on a special machine ..

            The issue was discovered right after upgrading to the new version .. and
            starting to edit some files .. only finding that to search the new software
            would only allow the first character to be used. . then after thinking I had
            updated a couple of files, I then had to go back to one of them approx 3 hrs
            later .. only to see that the file was there .. but with no data. .. I then
            checked the other files I had been updating .. and saw they were zero length
            as well.

            I immediately deleted 6.12 and reinstalled 5.7.

            Don

            From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

            Don Beam wrote:
            > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
            from
            > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
            >
            > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
            > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
            > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
            the
            > most current version working properly.
            >
            > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
            > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
            >
            > Thanks for your help .
            >
            > Don Beam
            >

            > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
            [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
            > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
            > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
            > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
            > blocking our replies.

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
              Hi Don,

              Could you send us a sample file that exhibits the problem (in a ZIP
              attachment) along with instructions to reproduce the issue?

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
                assume it will be sent the this email address ?

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                  You can either upload it to Yahoogroups so others on this list can test
                  it, or send it to our support address.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                  Don Beam wrote:
                  > When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
                  > assume it will be sent the this email address ?
                  >

                  > Don

                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                    I haven't had your problem but have another problem that makes 6.12 too
                    dangerous for me to use. In previous versions (up to and including v5.8/fv
                    std), NoteTab would add spurious garbage to the end of HTM files. The
                    garbage was always added following the </html> tag and looked like buffer
                    contents of other files from a group load. The problem was intermittent
                    (20% to 50% of the time) and annoying but not dangerous (most browsers
                    ignore anything after the </html> tag. I just wrote a clip to delete the
                    garbage.

                    However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                    files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                    were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                    Art

                    At 02-11-2009 14:09, you wrote:
                    >Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
                    >To: 'Fookes Software'
                    >Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab
                    >Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
                    >
                    >I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am
                    >experiencing significant issues ....
                    >
                    >Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length
                    >file ....
                    >
                    >The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character
                    >of the string ...
                    >
                    >I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been
                    >identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so
                    >what do you recommend?

                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                      Hi Art,

                      > However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                      > files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                      > were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                      It's the first time I hear of such a problem. It must have required very
                      special conditions to surface or we'd have heard about it from other
                      users too. Please send us a sample file that shows the issue.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/
                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                        Hi Eric, and Don if you're still following this thread,

                        If a file starts with CTRL+Z (0x1A), which by the way is only a single bit different from a linefeed (0x0A), Windows may interpret it as zero-length, even though the text is still there.

                        That brings up the question, where did Don get the zero length from? Windows Explore, or NoteTab? (selecting ALL in the editor will tell you how long NoteTab thinks the file is, in the status bar).

                        Some random thoughs:
                        When shutting down to "hibernate" repeatedly without complete shutdowns, I eventually wind up with SOMETHING corrupted. Sooner or later there's a glitch in reading and/or writing the hibernation file.

                        NoteTab seems more sensitive to this than other applications, though Windows Explorer likes to lock up under such conditions.

                        Cheers,

                        Eb

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                          Okay, based on the your comments of no known issues, I installed Notetab
                          6.121u .. and then the series of files that reflected the problem .. On the
                          new machine all worked okay .

                          I deleted Notetab and did the same on another machine .. .all worked okay .

                          So . .based on this test .. I have to assume (I hope correctly) that this
                          was a single event . so I then deleted Notetab from that machine and then
                          all that I could from my machine and reinstalled Notetab.

                          I have done a couple of tests .. and so far okay .

                          Fingers crossed .

                          Tanx .. .Don