Re: [NTB] problems with 6.12 ... is it unique or are others having the same issue ...

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > I am on 6.1 I guess ... I'll wait to hear from others before
      > updating I guess. I am aware of no issues.

      6.12 has been out since June. I would advise keeping uptodate.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hi Don,

        We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
        within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
        anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
        blocking our replies.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        djbeam27 wrote:
        > I have not received any reply from Fookes re this email or from their website ticket submission applications ?????
        >

        > Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
        > To: 'Fookes Software'
        > Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
        >
        > I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am experiencing significant issues ....
        >
        > Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length file ....
        >
        > The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character of the string ...
        >
        > I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so what do you recommend?
      • Don Beam
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
          Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer from
          Notetab .. but I did get this email .

          If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility I
          would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
          important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get the
          most current version working properly.

          As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
          update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.

          Thanks for your help .

          Don Beam

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
            Hi Don,

            Putting fookes.com in your white list should help.

            Here's what our customer support wrote in answer to your email:
            "NoteTab 6.12 has been out for 4 months now and we've had no reports of
            any serious issues. No one has reported problems like yours and we've
            never seen anything like it in our tests. What kind of files are they?"

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/

            Don Beam wrote:
            > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer from
            > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
            >
            > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility I
            > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
            > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get the
            > most current version working properly.
            >
            > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
            > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
            >
            > Thanks for your help .
            >
            > Don Beam

          • Don Beam
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
              Simple text files .. of approx 2-15k in size.

              What do you suggest .. there is some indication that there are two versions
              of 6.12 out .. should I re download and try again???

              Don Beam wrote:
              > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
              from
              > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
              >
              > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
              > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
              > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
              the
              > most current version working properly.
              >
              > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
              > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
              >
              > Thanks for your help .
              >
              > Don Beam
              >

              > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
              > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
              > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
              > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
              > blocking our replies.

            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                Hi Don,

                There was indeed a slipstream update for version 6.12, when we
                discovered that in some rare cases ANSI files were misidentified as
                Unicode. The NoteTab files installed by the slipstream update have a
                June 16 date stamp. The original release has files with a June 12 date
                stamp.

                If you have the older version, you can download the latest update
                through NoteTab's "Check for Updates" feature, which is available from
                the Help menu. If you don't see the update link in the News and Updates
                window, make sure you click on the "Get headlines" button at the
                top-left of the dialog box to refresh the list.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                Don Beam wrote:
                > Simple text files .. of approx 2-15k in size.
                >
                > What do you suggest .. there is some indication that there are two versions
                > of 6.12 out .. should I re download and try again???
                >
                > Don

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                  It depends on when you downloaded it. There was only a brief time the first
                  version was out before it was replaced. I happened to get the first version
                  and had to redownload. I think that was back in June-July. It has been
                  stable since then, so if you have a recent download, you've got the current
                  version. You might also look at whether you're got pure text or some mixed
                  in Unicode. I've found that copying a text file and pasting it into a new
                  file will often clear issues like that. Or you can post your file and clip
                  in the Files section at the group site for someone else to look at. Describe
                  the before and after states of your text.

                  John

                  From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Don Beam wrote:
                  > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
                  from
                  > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
                  >
                  > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
                  > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                  > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
                  the
                  > most current version working properly.
                  >
                  > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                  > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help .
                  >
                  > Don Beam
                  >

                  > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                  [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
                  > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
                  > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
                  > blocking our replies.

                • Don Beam
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                    I downloaded the update around Oct 12/09.

                    I use Notetab as my prime text editor .. and do not use many of the
                    functions that expand its use (lazy I guess).

                    Where I found the problem was with files (some with extensions of .txt and
                    some not). These files are normally around 3-5k in size.

                    All these files are used in a Windows environment thus only pure Microsoft
                    ASCII files .. I do not believe that any other file uses any other character
                    scheme.

                    I have gone back to 5.7 as I cannot afford to lose files again .. so if I
                    install 6.12 again, I will have to do it on a special machine ..

                    The issue was discovered right after upgrading to the new version .. and
                    starting to edit some files .. only finding that to search the new software
                    would only allow the first character to be used. . then after thinking I had
                    updated a couple of files, I then had to go back to one of them approx 3 hrs
                    later .. only to see that the file was there .. but with no data. .. I then
                    checked the other files I had been updating .. and saw they were zero length
                    as well.

                    I immediately deleted 6.12 and reinstalled 5.7.

                    Don

                    From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Don Beam wrote:
                    > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
                    from
                    > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
                    >
                    > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
                    > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                    > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
                    the
                    > most current version working properly.
                    >
                    > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                    > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your help .
                    >
                    > Don Beam
                    >

                    > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
                    > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
                    > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
                    > blocking our replies.

                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                      Hi Don,

                      Could you send us a sample file that exhibits the problem (in a ZIP
                      attachment) along with instructions to reproduce the issue?

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                        When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
                        assume it will be sent the this email address ?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                          You can either upload it to Yahoogroups so others on this list can test
                          it, or send it to our support address.

                          Eric Fookes
                          http://www.fookes.com/

                          Don Beam wrote:
                          > When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
                          > assume it will be sent the this email address ?
                          >

                          > Don

                        • Art Kocsis
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                            I haven't had your problem but have another problem that makes 6.12 too
                            dangerous for me to use. In previous versions (up to and including v5.8/fv
                            std), NoteTab would add spurious garbage to the end of HTM files. The
                            garbage was always added following the </html> tag and looked like buffer
                            contents of other files from a group load. The problem was intermittent
                            (20% to 50% of the time) and annoying but not dangerous (most browsers
                            ignore anything after the </html> tag. I just wrote a clip to delete the
                            garbage.

                            However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                            files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                            were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                            Art

                            At 02-11-2009 14:09, you wrote:
                            >Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
                            >To: 'Fookes Software'
                            >Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab
                            >Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
                            >
                            >I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am
                            >experiencing significant issues ....
                            >
                            >Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length
                            >file ....
                            >
                            >The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character
                            >of the string ...
                            >
                            >I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been
                            >identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so
                            >what do you recommend?

                          • Eric Fookes
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                              Hi Art,

                              > However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                              > files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                              > were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                              It's the first time I hear of such a problem. It must have required very
                              special conditions to surface or we'd have heard about it from other
                              users too. Please send us a sample file that shows the issue.

                              Eric Fookes
                              http://www.fookes.com/
                            • ebbtidalflats
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                Hi Eric, and Don if you're still following this thread,

                                If a file starts with CTRL+Z (0x1A), which by the way is only a single bit different from a linefeed (0x0A), Windows may interpret it as zero-length, even though the text is still there.

                                That brings up the question, where did Don get the zero length from? Windows Explore, or NoteTab? (selecting ALL in the editor will tell you how long NoteTab thinks the file is, in the status bar).

                                Some random thoughs:
                                When shutting down to "hibernate" repeatedly without complete shutdowns, I eventually wind up with SOMETHING corrupted. Sooner or later there's a glitch in reading and/or writing the hibernation file.

                                NoteTab seems more sensitive to this than other applications, though Windows Explorer likes to lock up under such conditions.

                                Cheers,

                                Eb

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                  Okay, based on the your comments of no known issues, I installed Notetab
                                  6.121u .. and then the series of files that reflected the problem .. On the
                                  new machine all worked okay .

                                  I deleted Notetab and did the same on another machine .. .all worked okay .

                                  So . .based on this test .. I have to assume (I hope correctly) that this
                                  was a single event . so I then deleted Notetab from that machine and then
                                  all that I could from my machine and reinstalled Notetab.

                                  I have done a couple of tests .. and so far okay .

                                  Fingers crossed .

                                  Tanx .. .Don