problems with 6.12 ... is it unique or are others having the same issue ...

  • djbeam27
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
      I have not received any reply from Fookes re this email or from their website ticket submission applications ?????

      Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
      To: 'Fookes Software'
      Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..

      I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am experiencing significant issues ....

      Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length file ....

      The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character of the string ...

      I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so what do you recommend?
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
        I am on 6.1 I guess ... I'll wait to hear from others before updating I
        guess. I am aware of no issues.

        djbeam27 wrote:
        > I have not received any reply from Fookes re this email or from their website ticket submission applications ?????
        >

        > Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
        > To: 'Fookes Software'
        > Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
        >
        > I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am experiencing significant issues ....
        >
        > Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length file ....
        >
        > The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character of the string ...
        >
        > I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so what do you recommend?

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
          There were two 6.12's, one closely following the other with little notice.
          I've been running the latest 6.12 for quite a while (months), and experience
          no problems with it. At first, I was using XP, but now it's running on
          Win7. I have thousands of lines of regex and it seems to run just fine.

          There has been at least one instance where a clip that worked for someone
          else didn't work for me, but I don't think it was version specific.

          John

          djbeam27 wrote:
          > I have not received any reply from Fookes re this email or from their
          website ticket submission applications ?????

          > Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
          > To: 'Fookes Software'
          > Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab
          Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..

          > I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am
          experiencing significant issues ....

          > Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length
          file ....

          > The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character
          of the string ...

          > I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been
          identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so
          what do you recommend?

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > I am on 6.1 I guess ... I'll wait to hear from others before
            > updating I guess. I am aware of no issues.

            6.12 has been out since June. I would advise keeping uptodate.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
              Hi Don,

              We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
              within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
              anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
              blocking our replies.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

              djbeam27 wrote:
              > I have not received any reply from Fookes re this email or from their website ticket submission applications ?????
              >

              > Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
              > To: 'Fookes Software'
              > Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
              >
              > I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am experiencing significant issues ....
              >
              > Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length file ....
              >
              > The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character of the string ...
              >
              > I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so what do you recommend?
            • Don Beam
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer from
                Notetab .. but I did get this email .

                If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility I
                would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get the
                most current version working properly.

                As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.

                Thanks for your help .

                Don Beam

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                  Hi Don,

                  Putting fookes.com in your white list should help.

                  Here's what our customer support wrote in answer to your email:
                  "NoteTab 6.12 has been out for 4 months now and we've had no reports of
                  any serious issues. No one has reported problems like yours and we've
                  never seen anything like it in our tests. What kind of files are they?"

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                  Don Beam wrote:
                  > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer from
                  > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
                  >
                  > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility I
                  > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                  > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get the
                  > most current version working properly.
                  >
                  > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                  > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help .
                  >
                  > Don Beam

                • Don Beam
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Simple text files .. of approx 2-15k in size.

                    What do you suggest .. there is some indication that there are two versions
                    of 6.12 out .. should I re download and try again???

                    Don Beam wrote:
                    > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
                    from
                    > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
                    >
                    > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
                    > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                    > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
                    the
                    > most current version working properly.
                    >
                    > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                    > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your help .
                    >
                    > Don Beam
                    >

                    > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
                    > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
                    > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
                    > blocking our replies.

                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                      Hi Don,

                      There was indeed a slipstream update for version 6.12, when we
                      discovered that in some rare cases ANSI files were misidentified as
                      Unicode. The NoteTab files installed by the slipstream update have a
                      June 16 date stamp. The original release has files with a June 12 date
                      stamp.

                      If you have the older version, you can download the latest update
                      through NoteTab's "Check for Updates" feature, which is available from
                      the Help menu. If you don't see the update link in the News and Updates
                      window, make sure you click on the "Get headlines" button at the
                      top-left of the dialog box to refresh the list.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                        It depends on when you downloaded it. There was only a brief time the first
                        version was out before it was replaced. I happened to get the first version
                        and had to redownload. I think that was back in June-July. It has been
                        stable since then, so if you have a recent download, you've got the current
                        version. You might also look at whether you're got pure text or some mixed
                        in Unicode. I've found that copying a text file and pasting it into a new
                        file will often clear issues like that. Or you can post your file and clip
                        in the Files section at the group site for someone else to look at. Describe
                        the before and after states of your text.

                        John

                        From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Don Beam wrote:
                        > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
                        from
                        > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
                        >
                        > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
                        > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                        > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
                        the
                        > most current version working properly.
                        >
                        > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                        > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your help .
                        >
                        > Don Beam
                        >

                        > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                        [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
                        > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
                        > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
                        > blocking our replies.

                      • Don Beam
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                          I downloaded the update around Oct 12/09.

                          I use Notetab as my prime text editor .. and do not use many of the
                          functions that expand its use (lazy I guess).

                          Where I found the problem was with files (some with extensions of .txt and
                          some not). These files are normally around 3-5k in size.

                          All these files are used in a Windows environment thus only pure Microsoft
                          ASCII files .. I do not believe that any other file uses any other character
                          scheme.

                          I have gone back to 5.7 as I cannot afford to lose files again .. so if I
                          install 6.12 again, I will have to do it on a special machine ..

                          The issue was discovered right after upgrading to the new version .. and
                          starting to edit some files .. only finding that to search the new software
                          would only allow the first character to be used. . then after thinking I had
                          updated a couple of files, I then had to go back to one of them approx 3 hrs
                          later .. only to see that the file was there .. but with no data. .. I then
                          checked the other files I had been updating .. and saw they were zero length
                          as well.

                          I immediately deleted 6.12 and reinstalled 5.7.

                          Don

                          From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>

                          Don Beam wrote:
                          > Thank you for telling me this .. however, I still did not get an answer
                          from
                          > Notetab .. but I did get this email .
                          >
                          > If you would be kind enough to resend the message thru this email facility
                          > would appreciate it as I find great value in Notetab but have lost several
                          > important files (thank God for backup .. although dated) and want to get
                          the
                          > most current version working properly.
                          >
                          > As well .. could you provide me with the email header info so that I can
                          > update the whitelist of our various spam blocks .. to not block.
                          >
                          > Thanks for your help .
                          >
                          > Don Beam
                          >

                          > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                          [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > We have answered every email we received from you (6 so far) -- usually
                          > within 12 hours. Since you haven't received them, obviously your
                          > anti-spam filter or that of your ISP is being overaggressive and
                          > blocking our replies.

                        • Eric Fookes
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                            Hi Don,

                            Could you send us a sample file that exhibits the problem (in a ZIP
                            attachment) along with instructions to reproduce the issue?

                            Eric Fookes
                            http://www.fookes.com/

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                              When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
                              assume it will be sent the this email address ?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                You can either upload it to Yahoogroups so others on this list can test
                                it, or send it to our support address.

                                Eric Fookes
                                http://www.fookes.com/

                                Don Beam wrote:
                                > When I have a system available to do so . I will send it to you . .. am I to
                                > assume it will be sent the this email address ?
                                >

                                > Don

                              • Art Kocsis
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                  I haven't had your problem but have another problem that makes 6.12 too
                                  dangerous for me to use. In previous versions (up to and including v5.8/fv
                                  std), NoteTab would add spurious garbage to the end of HTM files. The
                                  garbage was always added following the </html> tag and looked like buffer
                                  contents of other files from a group load. The problem was intermittent
                                  (20% to 50% of the time) and annoying but not dangerous (most browsers
                                  ignore anything after the </html> tag. I just wrote a clip to delete the
                                  garbage.

                                  However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                                  files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                                  were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                                  Art

                                  At 02-11-2009 14:09, you wrote:
                                  >Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM
                                  >To: 'Fookes Software'
                                  >Subject: Did you receive this as I have not seen a reply .... RE: NoteTab
                                  >Pro 6.12 FV ... serious issues ..
                                  >
                                  >I upgraded to the new version a couple of weeks ago .. and now I am
                                  >experiencing significant issues ....
                                  >
                                  >Notetab is saving files that have updated thru Notetab .. as a 0 length
                                  >file ....
                                  >
                                  >The search for a character string .. only deals with the first character
                                  >of the string ...
                                  >
                                  >I have gone back to 5.7 .. are there any other issues that have been
                                  >identified with the new version or am I an island of opportunity ... if so
                                  >what do you recommend?

                                • Eric Fookes
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                    Hi Art,

                                    > However, v6.12 Std inserted these random strings in the middle of HTML
                                    > files. This can destroy the page so I reverted back to v5.8. I think there
                                    > were also other issues but can't remember them now.

                                    It's the first time I hear of such a problem. It must have required very
                                    special conditions to surface or we'd have heard about it from other
                                    users too. Please send us a sample file that shows the issue.

                                    Eric Fookes
                                    http://www.fookes.com/
                                  • ebbtidalflats
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                      Hi Eric, and Don if you're still following this thread,

                                      If a file starts with CTRL+Z (0x1A), which by the way is only a single bit different from a linefeed (0x0A), Windows may interpret it as zero-length, even though the text is still there.

                                      That brings up the question, where did Don get the zero length from? Windows Explore, or NoteTab? (selecting ALL in the editor will tell you how long NoteTab thinks the file is, in the status bar).

                                      Some random thoughs:
                                      When shutting down to "hibernate" repeatedly without complete shutdowns, I eventually wind up with SOMETHING corrupted. Sooner or later there's a glitch in reading and/or writing the hibernation file.

                                      NoteTab seems more sensitive to this than other applications, though Windows Explorer likes to lock up under such conditions.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Eb

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                                        Okay, based on the your comments of no known issues, I installed Notetab
                                        6.121u .. and then the series of files that reflected the problem .. On the
                                        new machine all worked okay .

                                        I deleted Notetab and did the same on another machine .. .all worked okay .

                                        So . .based on this test .. I have to assume (I hope correctly) that this
                                        was a single event . so I then deleted Notetab from that machine and then
                                        all that I could from my machine and reinstalled Notetab.

                                        I have done a couple of tests .. and so far okay .

                                        Fingers crossed .

                                        Tanx .. .Don