Re: [NTB] Temporary Files Folder For NoteTab Light?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
      loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-10-23 at 02:06):
      > J. wrote:
      > >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
      > >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
      > >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
      > >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
      > >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.
      >
      > The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
      > but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
      > you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
      > during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
      > created after the last start of Notetab,
      Jé:
      I think (pls correct me if I'm wrong) that ~efo files are only created
      when needed - ie. when opening an open "dirty" file (one not saved to
      disk since last change made to it) with [View in browser]. So after a
      crash I'd only expect to find an ~efo if the file had been viewed during
      that session. If your primary use of notetab is editing HTML files and
      checking what they look like in your browser then you'd have more of
      them hanging around.

      Going forward ... you could set backup type to incremental and auto-save
      every 'n' minutes to have higher probability of having a recoverable
      version after problems but then you'd want to clean out the no longer
      required old backups every so often.

      Note if using Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ these can be cleared
      almost instantly by searching for "~ [ ]" (w/o quotes) which finds all
      files containing all of tilda and right and left square brackets. (eg.
      ~NoName02[001].txt)

    • Jé Maverick
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

        > J. wrote:
        > >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
        > >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
        > >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
        > >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
        > >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.
        >

        > The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
        > but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
        > you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
        > during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
        > created after the last start of Notetab,
        >
        > What's wrong with the bak files? Too old?
        >
        > Lotta

        Yeah, the reason that there are no ~efo files left after cleanup is because it doesn't seem to be creating them in the first instance. It truly boggles the mind. Also, the .bak files are not created unless the open file has first been saved. I always thought that the ~efo files were created though. My bad, I guess. I sure would like the ability for the app to create them as a safety measure though.
      • Jé Maverick
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

          > loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-10-23 at 02:06):
          > > J. wrote:
          > > >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
          > > >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
          > > >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
          > > >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
          > > >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.
          > >
          > > The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
          > > but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
          > > you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
          > > during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
          > > created after the last start of Notetab,
          > Jé:
          > I think (pls correct me if I'm wrong) that ~efo files are only created
          > when needed - ie. when opening an open "dirty" file (one not saved to
          > disk since last change made to it) with [View in browser]. So after a
          > crash I'd only expect to find an ~efo if the file had been viewed during
          > that session. If your primary use of notetab is editing HTML files and
          > checking what they look like in your browser then you'd have more of
          > them hanging around.
          >
          > Going forward ... you could set backup type to incremental and auto-save
          > every 'n' minutes to have higher probability of having a recoverable
          > version after problems but then you'd want to clean out the no longer
          > required old backups every so often.
          >
          > Note if using Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ these can be cleared
          > almost instantly by searching for "~ [ ]" (w/o quotes) which finds all
          > files containing all of tilda and right and left square brackets. (eg.
          > ~NoName02[001].txt)
          >
          > --

          Oh, I wasn't sure about the creating of the files for opening in a web browser, but that would explain why the ~efo files are not being created. I'll have to check that out for a definitive answer. Incremental backup is "as you go", no?
        • loro
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
            Jé Maverick wrote:

            >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > J. wrote:
            >Yeah, the reason that there are no ~efo files left after cleanup is
            >because it doesn't seem to be creating them in the first instance.
            >It truly boggles the mind. Also, the .bak files are not created
            >unless the open file has first been saved. I always thought that the
            >~efo files were created though. My bad, I guess. I sure would like
            >the ability for the app to create them as a safety measure though.

            Yes, the ~efos are only created when you want to "do" something with
            an unsaved document - as open it in a browser.

            If backups are important to you could set Notetab auto save
            frequently and also to make incremental backups if you wish. Both are
            on the Files tab in Options.

            Lotta
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009