Saving files query.

  • John Fitzsimons
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2009
      Hi,

      I open a file in NoteTab called one.awk

      I choose "Save as" and call it two.awk

      It then ignores what I have done and names it two.awk.txt

      (1) Is there any way to stop this very very very annoying behavoir
      please ?

      (2) Is there any way to add .awk to the drop down file types in win
      98SE please ?

      I see this in 4.95 and 6.12 Pro.

      Regards, John.
    • loro
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2009
        John Fitzsimons wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I open a file in NoteTab called one.awk
        >
        >I choose "Save as" and call it two.awk
        >
        >It then ignores what I have done and names it two.awk.txt
        >
        >(1) Is there any way to stop this very very very annoying behavoir
        >please ?

        Choose "All Files" in the "Save as type" in the Save As dialogue. If
        that doesn't help, quote the file name.

        Lotta
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2009
          Hi John,

          > Umm. That did it. I will still be looking for a text editor that
          > works properly but your "work around" is handy until I find one.
          > Thank you. :-)

          NoteTab is working properly. What you are experiencing is a Windows
          feature. NoteTab does nothing more than use the file name that is
          returned by the Windows standard Save dialog box.

          There has been an explanation about this in Help under the Using NoteTab
          FAQ topic for years. See the answer to "Q. When I save a document as
          FILENAME.EXT, it becomes FILENAME.EXT.TXT".

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • John Fitzsimons
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2009
            At 08:10 AM 23/10/09 +0200, you wrote:

            >John Fitzsimons wrote:

            >>Hi,

            >>I open a file in NoteTab called one.awk

            >>I choose "Save as" and call it two.awk

            >>It then ignores what I have done and names it two.awk.txt

            >>(1) Is there any way to stop this very very very annoying behavoir
            >>please ?

            >Choose "All Files" in the "Save as type" in the Save As dialogue. If

            >that doesn't help,

            Tried that. It didn't help.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 24, 2009
              Hi John,

              > Hope you are keeping well. :-)

              Yes, thanks :)

              >>> Umm. That did it. I will still be looking for a text editor that
              >>> works properly but your "work around" is handy until I find one.
              >>> Thank you. :-)
              >
              >> NoteTab is working properly. What you are experiencing is a Windows
              >> feature. NoteTab does nothing more than use the file name that is
              >> returned by the Windows standard Save dialog box.
              >
              > Well, my windows 98SE saves .awk files fine in other editors. Context
              > v 0.98.2, Notepad++ 4.9.2, and Kudaz v2.1, for example. None of them
              > added .txt to my filenames.

              You can add .awk to the "Save as type" list and then experience the same
              behavior as the above editors. Open the NoteTab Options dialog box and
              select the File Filters tab.

              > P.S. The "Save as type" options in some of the above are also more
              > extensive than NTP as well.

              NoteTab lets you make it as extensive as you want. I personally don't
              like long lists of different file types because it takes longer to find
              the relevant one.

              > IMO it would help if NTP had a "Save as" option of .awk .

              NoteTab makes it very easy to add it.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • John Fitzsimons
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2009
                At 08:22 AM 24/10/09 +0200, you wrote:

                Hi Eric,

                Hope you are keeping well. :-)

                >> Umm. That did it. I will still be looking for a text editor that
                >> works properly but your "work around" is handy until I find one.
                >> Thank you. :-)

                >NoteTab is working properly. What you are experiencing is a Windows
                >feature. NoteTab does nothing more than use the file name that is
                >returned by the Windows standard Save dialog box.

                Well, my windows 98SE saves .awk files fine in other editors. Context
                v 0.98.2, Notepad++ 4.9.2, and Kudaz v2.1, for example. None of them
                added .txt to my filenames.

                >There has been an explanation about this in Help under the Using
                NoteTab
                >FAQ topic for years. See the answer to "Q. When I save a document as

                >FILENAME.EXT, it becomes FILENAME.EXT.TXT".

                Okay. Thanks for the feedback.

                Regards, John.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 24, 2009
                  At 10:17 AM 24/10/09 +0200, you wrote:

                  < snip >

                  >You can add .awk to the "Save as type" list and then experience the
                  same
                  >behavior as the above editors.

                  Great ! I was hoping that there was an easy way to do that.

                  < snip >

                  >NoteTab makes it very easy to add it.

                  Thanks Eric, that makes things much better. :-)

                  Regards, John.