Temporary Files Folder For NoteTab Light?

  • Jé Maverick
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2009
      I am running NoteTab Light version 5.7b. I am searching for the temporary files that NoteTab Light produces. My computer has crashed a couple of times while I have been working on open, unsaved documents. I know that it is good practice to back-up often, and I usually do, but the safeguard of the temporary file helped me in previous versions. I am operating on Vista and have even gone to the Temp folder while I have unsaved files, looking for Notetab temp files, but none are being produced. I really need to get to the temp files if they still exist. Could you please help me?

      regards,

      J.
    • loro
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 22, 2009
        Jé Maverick wrote:
        >I am running NoteTab Light version 5.7b. I am searching for the
        >temporary files that NoteTab Light produces. My computer has crashed
        >a couple of times while I have been working on open, unsaved
        >documents. I know that it is good practice to back-up often, and I
        >usually do, but the safeguard of the temporary file helped me in
        >previous versions. I am operating on Vista and have even gone to
        >the Temp folder while I have unsaved files, looking for Notetab temp
        >files, but none are being produced. I really need to get to the temp
        >files if they still exist. Could you please help me?

        Both the backup files that you get when you Save (if you use that
        option) and temp files that are created when you view unsaved
        documents in a browser are saved together with the original document.
        If you search disk for "efo~*.*;*.bak", you'll find all of them.

        Lotta
      • Jé Maverick
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 22, 2009
          Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think, which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next. The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.

          Regards

          J.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          > Jé Maverick wrote:
          > >I am running NoteTab Light version 5.7b. I am searching for the
          > >temporary files that NoteTab Light produces. My computer has crashed
          > >a couple of times while I have been working on open, unsaved
          > >documents. I know that it is good practice to back-up often, and I
          > >usually do, but the safeguard of the temporary file helped me in
          > >previous versions. I am operating on Vista and have even gone to
          > >the Temp folder while I have unsaved files, looking for Notetab temp
          > >files, but none are being produced. I really need to get to the temp
          > >files if they still exist. Could you please help me?
          >
          > Both the backup files that you get when you Save (if you use that
          > option) and temp files that are created when you view unsaved
          > documents in a browser are saved together with the original document.
          > If you search disk for "efo~*.*;*.bak", you'll find all of them.
          >
          > Lotta

        • loro
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 22, 2009
            J. wrote:
            >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
            >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
            >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
            >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
            >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.

            The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
            but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
            you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
            during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
            created after the last start of Notetab,

            What's wrong with the bak files? Too old?

            Lotta
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
              loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-10-23 at 02:06):
              > J. wrote:
              > >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
              > >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
              > >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
              > >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
              > >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.
              >
              > The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
              > but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
              > you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
              > during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
              > created after the last start of Notetab,
              Jé:
              I think (pls correct me if I'm wrong) that ~efo files are only created
              when needed - ie. when opening an open "dirty" file (one not saved to
              disk since last change made to it) with [View in browser]. So after a
              crash I'd only expect to find an ~efo if the file had been viewed during
              that session. If your primary use of notetab is editing HTML files and
              checking what they look like in your browser then you'd have more of
              them hanging around.

              Going forward ... you could set backup type to incremental and auto-save
              every 'n' minutes to have higher probability of having a recoverable
              version after problems but then you'd want to clean out the no longer
              required old backups every so often.

              Note if using Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ these can be cleared
              almost instantly by searching for "~ [ ]" (w/o quotes) which finds all
              files containing all of tilda and right and left square brackets. (eg.
              ~NoName02[001].txt)

            • Jé Maverick
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                > J. wrote:
                > >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
                > >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
                > >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
                > >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
                > >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.
                >

                > The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
                > but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
                > you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
                > during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
                > created after the last start of Notetab,
                >
                > What's wrong with the bak files? Too old?
                >
                > Lotta

                Yeah, the reason that there are no ~efo files left after cleanup is because it doesn't seem to be creating them in the first instance. It truly boggles the mind. Also, the .bak files are not created unless the open file has first been saved. I always thought that the ~efo files were created though. My bad, I guess. I sure would like the ability for the app to create them as a safety measure though.
              • Jé Maverick
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                  > loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-10-23 at 02:06):
                  > > J. wrote:
                  > > >Thanks, Lotta. Unfortunately, when I did the search I only came up
                  > > >with the .bak files. I need the ones with the ~efo suffix I think,
                  > > >which have not showed up on my system. I'm not sure what to do next.
                  > > >The crash has been instant each time, but there doesn't seem to be a
                  > > >fingerprint at all left on the hard drive. Any help would be great.
                  > >
                  > > The ~efo files are supposed to self-delete when Notetab is closed,
                  > > but sometimes they linger anyway. So alas it is as it should be if
                  > > you don't have any. I wouldn't think Notetab would do any cleanup
                  > > during a crash though, so I'd expect to find some ~efos if they were
                  > > created after the last start of Notetab,
                  > Jé:
                  > I think (pls correct me if I'm wrong) that ~efo files are only created
                  > when needed - ie. when opening an open "dirty" file (one not saved to
                  > disk since last change made to it) with [View in browser]. So after a
                  > crash I'd only expect to find an ~efo if the file had been viewed during
                  > that session. If your primary use of notetab is editing HTML files and
                  > checking what they look like in your browser then you'd have more of
                  > them hanging around.
                  >
                  > Going forward ... you could set backup type to incremental and auto-save
                  > every 'n' minutes to have higher probability of having a recoverable
                  > version after problems but then you'd want to clean out the no longer
                  > required old backups every so often.
                  >
                  > Note if using Everything http://www.voidtools.com/ these can be cleared
                  > almost instantly by searching for "~ [ ]" (w/o quotes) which finds all
                  > files containing all of tilda and right and left square brackets. (eg.
                  > ~NoName02[001].txt)
                  >
                  > --

                  Oh, I wasn't sure about the creating of the files for opening in a web browser, but that would explain why the ~efo files are not being created. I'll have to check that out for a definitive answer. Incremental backup is "as you go", no?
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009
                    Jé Maverick wrote:

                    >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > J. wrote:
                    >Yeah, the reason that there are no ~efo files left after cleanup is
                    >because it doesn't seem to be creating them in the first instance.
                    >It truly boggles the mind. Also, the .bak files are not created
                    >unless the open file has first been saved. I always thought that the
                    >~efo files were created though. My bad, I guess. I sure would like
                    >the ability for the app to create them as a safety measure though.

                    Yes, the ~efos are only created when you want to "do" something with
                    an unsaved document - as open it in a browser.

                    If backups are important to you could set Notetab auto save
                    frequently and also to make incremental backups if you wish. Both are
                    on the Files tab in Options.

                    Lotta
                  • Art Kocsis
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 23, 2009