Can't turn off Most recently used file list

  • John Rogers
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 12, 2009
      When opening a new file in NoteTab it is possible to view recently opened files by clicking the drop down arrow at the end of the file name box. Files listed are files that have been recetly opened in NoteTab and other programs. I have deselected "Store & display a list of recently opened files" by right clicking Start and selecting properties but to no avail. NoteTab is the only program on my computer that displays this list. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? I am using Windows Vista and NoteTab Pro 6.12
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
        Hi
        In notetab std it is "file\reopen\clear list"
        In XP it is "right click on task bar "properties" start menu click on
        "customize" click on advanced and untick the box "recent documents".
        THANKYOU DAVE

        > When opening a new file in NoteTab it is possible to view recently opened
        > files by clicking the drop down arrow at the end of the file name box.
        > Files listed are files that have been recetly opened in NoteTab and other
        > programs. I have deselected "Store & display a list of recently opened
        > files" by right clicking Start and selecting properties but to no avail.
        > NoteTab is the only program on my computer that displays this list. Does
        > anyone know how to get rid of it? I am using Windows Vista and NoteTab Pro
        > 6.12

      • John Rogers
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
          Thanks Dave. Unfortunately neither of these methods clears the list of files that appears in the file open window as opposed to file reopen.

          John Rogers

          > When opening a new file in NoteTab it is possible to view recently opened
          > files by clicking the drop down arrow at the end of the file name box.
          > Files listed are files that have been recetly opened in NoteTab and other
          > programs. I have deselected "Store & display a list of recently opened
          > files" by right clicking Start and selecting properties but to no avail.
          > NoteTab is the only program on my computer that displays this list. Does
          > anyone know how to get rid of it? I am using Windows Vista and NoteTab Pro
          > 6.12

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
            Hi
            these no such thing as the file open window only reopen ???
            THANKYOU DAVE

            > Thanks Dave. Unfortunately neither of these methods clears the list of
            > files that appears in the file open window as opposed to file reopen.
            >
            > John Rogers

          • AL Guevara
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
              In the File Menu?
              I have File | re-open
              I have Pro too, not stand or free

              Al Guevara

              From: Dave <dmc43959@...>
              To: notetab@yahoogroups.com

              >Hi
              >these no such thing as the file open window only reopen ???
              > THANKYOU DAVE

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
                I think John is talking about the drop down menu that is displayed in
                the Standard File Open dialog see: http://screencast.com/t/fKe9Jeeb0Yv

                They appear to be saved in Registry at:
                HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU
                by filetype.

                If confident about your registry editing skills you can delete them with
                Regedit.

                Really has nothing to do with Notetab (AKAIK) except that Notetab is set
                by default to allow opening of ANY kind of file.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
                  Brilliant Alec. The fix works and allows me to clear the files that were appearing in the file open list. The reopen list can easily be cleared but not the file open list, until now anyway. Thanks also to Dave and Al Guevara etc for your thoughts. It would be even better if the list could be prevented from generating but at least I can now clear it rather than simply sitting there and pulling my hair out. Thanks again Alec.

                  John Rogers

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
                    Glad to help John ...
                    For future reference ... I located those keys by finding an unusual file
                    name in the dropdown list then searching the registry for that text.

                    since you were able to remove them yourself using my deliberately
                    cryptic comment on how to do it <GRIN> if you don't have it already, you
                    might be interested in getting the Registar Registry replacement program
                    for Regedit.

                    On http://www.resplendence.com/downloads look for Registrar Registry
                    Manager 6.02
                    Advanced Registry Manager for administrators and power users
                    for Windows 2008/Vista/XP/2003/2000 (x86 and x64) --> Download free lite
                    version

                    I've answered many similar questions for myself by looking for a text
                    string which "ought" to exist "somewhere" in the registry :-)

                    John Rogers (john.rogers@...) wrote (in part) (on
                    2009-10-14 at 18:01):

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 14, 2009
                      I wondered how you found the solution. I had searched the registry using regedit for a unique file name but it was not found. Perhaps Registry Repair Manager has better searching capabilities than regedit.

                      John Rogers