Command line to open outline heading

  • orkgandalf
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
      I'm investigating the possibility to use a command line to open Notetab std, one specific otl file, one specific heading -- all in one unique command line.
      So far I only learned how to open one specific file.
      Let me know if you have ever seen someone trying to do this.
      Thanks.
      Orks
    • loro
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
        orkgandalf wrote:
        >I'm investigating the possibility to use a command line to open
        >Notetab std, one specific otl file, one specific heading -- all in
        >one unique command line.
        >So far I only learned how to open one specific file.
        >Let me know if you have ever seen someone trying to do this.

        Is it always the same OTL topics you want to open? The way I do it is
        a two step rocket and involves a clip and the clip must contain the
        filename of the OTL and the heading you want to focus, so no good if
        you want to do this on a whim, so to speak.

        I have a library called OpenDocs. In that I have a number of clips
        that go something like this.
        ------------------
        h="ReadMe.otl - mathematics"
        ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$ReadMe.otl
        ^!SetTopicIndex 8
        --------------------

        Then I run the clip from the command line.
        "C:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L="OpenDocs:ReadMe.otl - mathematics"

        Lotta
      • orkgandalf
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          > orkgandalf wrote:
          > >I'm investigating the possibility to use a command line to open
          > >Notetab std, one specific otl file, one specific heading -- all in
          > >one unique command line.
          > >So far I only learned how to open one specific file.
          > >Let me know if you have ever seen someone trying to do this.
          >
          > Is it always the same OTL topics you want to open? The way I do it is
          > a two step rocket and involves a clip and the clip must contain the
          > filename of the OTL and the heading you want to focus, so no good if
          > you want to do this on a whim, so to speak.
          >
          > I have a library called OpenDocs. In that I have a number of clips
          > that go something like this.
          > ------------------
          > h="ReadMe.otl - mathematics"
          > ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$ReadMe.otl
          > ^!SetTopicIndex 8
          > --------------------
          >
          > Then I run the clip from the command line.
          > "C:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L="OpenDocs:ReadMe.otl - mathematics"
          >
          > Lotta

          Thanks Lotta, you're right and almost resolved my problem. In fact, I think we're almost there. Yes, the heading to open is always the same. Is that i have all my journal in one single otl file and, sometimes I need to quickly get to one of the headings thru my Executor, the launcher program I use. That helps me to remember where I want to go to.

          I did a couple of tests with your hint and thought I could get the index of the heading by using the ^$GetTopicIndex command. And it is almost working. It works for headings without spaces, ie, "20091010---" but the problem is that it's not working for headings with spaces like "[Hilux] Fuel".

          I tried the following commands but it positions the file in the very first heading. It's not going to the one I want.

          h="Hilux"
          ^!Open d:\00\documents\docs\notes\Journal.otl
          ^!SetTopicIndex ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$

          I also tried to put the heading name with double quotes, no success.

          ^!SetTopicIndex ^$GetTopicIndex("[Hilux] Fuel")$

          Let me know if you can see something wrong here.

          Cheers!

          Orks
        • loro
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
            orkgandalf wrote:
            >I did a couple of tests with your hint and thought I could get the
            >index of the heading by using the ^$GetTopicIndex command. And it is
            >almost working. It works for headings without spaces, ie,
            >"20091010---" but the problem is that it's not working for headings
            >with spaces like "[Hilux] Fuel".

            That's odd. I added "[Hilux] Fuel" to an OTL and
            ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$ works fine. I tested in Pro, both 6
            and 4.95, but I don't think there's a difference between Pro and
            Standard regarding this. Are you sure the heading is exactly like
            that? No leading or tailing space or anything?

            Lotta
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "orkgandalf" <orkgandalf@...> wrote:

              > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@> wrote:
              > >
              > > orkgandalf wrote:
              > > >I'm investigating the possibility to use a command line to open
              > > >Notetab std, one specific otl file, one specific heading -- all in
              > > >one unique command line.
              > > >So far I only learned how to open one specific file.
              > > >Let me know if you have ever seen someone trying to do this.
              > >
              > > Is it always the same OTL topics you want to open? The way I do it is
              > > a two step rocket and involves a clip and the clip must contain the
              > > filename of the OTL and the heading you want to focus, so no good if
              > > you want to do this on a whim, so to speak.
              > >
              > > I have a library called OpenDocs. In that I have a number of clips
              > > that go something like this.
              > > ------------------
              > > h="ReadMe.otl - mathematics"
              > > ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$ReadMe.otl
              > > ^!SetTopicIndex 8
              > > --------------------
              > >
              > > Then I run the clip from the command line.
              > > "C:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L="OpenDocs:ReadMe.otl - mathematics"
              > >
              > > Lotta
              > >

              > Thanks Lotta, you're right and almost resolved my problem. In fact, I think we're almost there. Yes, the heading to open is always the same. Is that i have all my journal in one single otl file and, sometimes I need to quickly get to one of the headings thru my Executor, the launcher program I use. That helps me to remember where I want to go to.
              >
              > I did a couple of tests with your hint and thought I could get the index of the heading by using the ^$GetTopicIndex command. And it is almost working. It works for headings without spaces, ie, "20091010---" but the problem is that it's not working for headings with spaces like "[Hilux] Fuel".
              >
              > I tried the following commands but it positions the file in the very first heading. It's not going to the one I want.
              >
              > h="Hilux"
              > ^!Open d:\00\documents\docs\notes\Journal.otl
              > ^!SetTopicIndex ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$
              >
              > I also tried to put the heading name with double quotes, no success.
              >
              > ^!SetTopicIndex ^$GetTopicIndex("[Hilux] Fuel")$
              >
              > Let me know if you can see something wrong here.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              > Orks

              How was the outline file created? Could the seeming space be anon-breaking space? Could the topic name have spaces or non-breaking spaces at the end?
            • orkgandalf
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
                Hummm, i checked it and couldn't find anything unusual with the name of the topic, no space at the end, only in the middle.
                I did more tests and i'm kinda intrigued. I created a new topic called "mosca" a plain simple word, changed the clip and it is not finding it as well. I tried some others topic names with and without spaces, some it finds and some it does not.
                I may be missing something in here.
                Orks
              • orkgandalf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
                    orkgandalf wrote:
                    >Hummm, i checked it and couldn't find anything unusual with the name
                    >of the topic, no space at the end, only in the middle.
                    >I did more tests and i'm kinda intrigued. I created a new topic
                    >called "mosca" a plain simple word, changed the clip and it is not
                    >finding it as well. I tried some others topic names with and without
                    >spaces, some it finds and some it does not.
                    >I may be missing something in here.

                    I wonder if it could it be a timing issue. Maybe the clip tries to
                    find the heading before the OTL is fully opened. Add a ^!Delay 010,
                    or what you find to be an appropriate amount of time, after the
                    ^!Open command and see if that makes a difference. Also, did you
                    check if the ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$ works on an already open OTL?

                    Lotta
                  • orkgandalf
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                      > orkgandalf wrote:
                      > >I did a couple of tests with your hint and thought I could get the
                      > >index of the heading by using the ^$GetTopicIndex command. And it is
                      > >almost working. It works for headings without spaces, ie,
                      > >"20091010---" but the problem is that it's not working for headings
                      > >with spaces like "[Hilux] Fuel".
                      >
                      > That's odd. I added "[Hilux] Fuel" to an OTL and
                      > ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$ works fine. I tested in Pro, both 6
                      > and 4.95, but I don't think there's a difference between Pro and
                      > Standard regarding this. Are you sure the heading is exactly like
                      > that? No leading or tailing space or anything?
                      >
                      > Lotta

                      Yes, I'm sure it has not leading or trailing blanks.
                      Just tested it again, no success.
                      This is how my clip looks like. Do you see anything wrong here?
                      http://is.gd/47Ekq
                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
                        I wrote:
                        >orkgandalf wrote:
                        > >Hummm, i checked it and couldn't find anything unusual with the name
                        > >of the topic, no space at the end, only in the middle.
                        > >I did more tests and i'm kinda intrigued. I created a new topic
                        > >called "mosca" a plain simple word, changed the clip and it is not
                        > >finding it as well. I tried some others topic names with and without
                        > >spaces, some it finds and some it does not.
                        > >I may be missing something in here.
                        >
                        >I wonder if it could it be a timing issue. Maybe the clip tries to
                        >find the heading before the OTL is fully opened. Add a ^!Delay 010,
                        >or what you find to be an appropriate amount of time, after the
                        >^!Open command and see if that makes a difference. Also, did you
                        >check if the ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$ works on an already open OTL?

                        You could also try the below with the OTL in question focused.

                        ^!Info ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$

                        If the heading can't be found it should return "0".

                        I just realized we are on the wrong list. Maybe we should move this
                        to the clip list if it drags on.

                        Lotta
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 15, 2009
                          Lotta wrote:
                          >I wonder if it could it be a timing issue. Maybe the clip tries to
                          >find the heading before the OTL is fully opened. Add a ^!Delay 010,
                          >or what you find to be an appropriate amount of time, after the
                          >^!Open command and see if that makes a difference. Also, did you
                          >check if the ^$GetTopicIndex([Hilux] Fuel)$ works on an already open OTL?

                          Did you try this? I'm curious.

                          Lotta