Re: Comparing text files

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2009
      Have you tried Kdiff3? It has an option whether or not to show differences in white space.
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2009
        Also, look at DiffMerge, which is surprisingly capable. I did an extensive search before settling on DiffMerge.
        http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/
        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 18, 2009
          If you want document comparisons (rather than line-by-line comparisons),
          then you're probably going to need to use a document-oriented product,
          rather than a line-oriented product.

          Have you looked at Open Office? Its word processor appears to have a
          comparer - probably very similar to Word's - although I've never tried it.

          That said, however, if you want to compare HTML files, then you might as
          well use a line-oriented comparison program, because HTML is essentially
          line oriented anyway. The program I prefer is called "Compare It!" -
          http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.htm - although I think it's only available
          on the Windows platform.

          Regards, Dave S

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2009
            PS Just reread your message and wanted to add that I run TextDiff on Linux using Wine. Works perfectly as does NoteTab and Photoshop etc..

            > > reasons, including having all the most necessary stuff
            > in a
            > > flash drive,
            > > and possibly moving to Linux in the future), but I'm
            > > stumbling on one
            > > feature where I can't find a decent replacement:
            > >
            > > Text comparison. I tried OpenOffice.org. I tried a
            > number
            > > of specialized
            > > text comparison tools. They all proved unsatisfactory
            > --
            > > mostly by an
            > > inability to pinpoint the exact difference. This is a
            > > feature in which
            > > MS-Word shines. I can open a HTML formatted file, run
            > > compare with the
            > > original plain-text file and it will pinpoint the
            > changed
            > > words, if any.
            > >
            > > Many of the tools I found, though, seem to be geared
            > > towards programmers
            > > -- thus, they tend to do line-by-line comparison, and
            > are
            > > totally
            > > flummoxed by simple things like a different
            > word-wrapping
            > > width. Others
            > > just can't handle insertions or deletions more than a
            > few
            > > words long
            > > -- they can't seem to "resync" the text lower down.
            > And few
            > > offer the
            > > option to display results in what Word calls the
            > "legal
            > > blackline" format.
            > >
            > > Most will only work with plain text -- I would prefer
            > one
            > > that is able
            > > to understand formatted HTML. I'm concerned about the
            > text
            > > content first,
            > > formatting second.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions?
            > >
            > > Marcelo
            > >

            > > -=-=-
            > > For Sale: Slightly used message. Enquire within.
            > > * TagZilla 0.066.1 on Seamonkey 1.1.18

            > > mailto:notetab-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > mailto:notetab-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2009
              Absolutely I have a suggestion. Without doubt (IMNOHO), the best text, HTML
              (and graphic, HEX, mp3, csv, multiple programming languages, EXE versions,
              UTF8, Unicode, ++), comparison program available is Beyond Compare.

              http://www.scootersoftware.com

              I first discovered this app years ago after reading a gushing review. At first
              I thought, "yeah, right" but gave it a try anyway. Well the reviewer was right.
              Every time I thought the app should do something I found it already did. And
              did it in a natural, intuitive way.

              To me the most important aspect of file (text) comparison is the ability to
              resynch after a mismatch. BC not only has awesome prowess in resynching
              lines of text but it resynchs WITHIN lines of text! An inserted or missing
              character will show up as just that, a single char diff not an entire line
              mismatch.
              (It even resynchs binary files!) And on those rare occasions when it makes a
              poor choice you can easily resynch manually. It also has a built-in editor.

              This is not just a simple char by char comparator but a fairly intelligent
              one.
              It distinguishes between important and non-important differences highlighting
              them with different colors. The user can define the importance criteria - from
              simple built-in white space selections or word substitutions to total
              customization
              using regular expressions. It blew my mind the first time I saw it deem a
              PARAPHRASE of HTML code unimportant! (It was right!) The app can limit its
              analysis to selected columns of text or HTML tables. It can even compare
              a multitude of archives (ZIP, RAR, 7Z, gzip, TAR, etc - all the archives
              that 7ZIP
              can handle), and compare the files within the archives.

              There are just too many features to this rich program to describe here. Try it
              for 30 days free. Considering all that it does, the $30 cost is pretty cheap. A
              Pro version which adds three-way comparisons is available for $50. Integrate
              BC with the power tool file manager, ZTree, and you've got one h*ll of a system
              for managing your disk. (email me for how to integrate BC into ZTree)

              BTW, if you are limited to freeware apps try WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/).
              It is OK but nowhere near as powerful as Beyond Compare.

              Namaste', Art

              At 09-18-2009 07:03, you wrote:
              >I'm _trying_ to wean myself out of Microsoft Word (for a number of
              >reasons, including having all the most necessary stuff in a flash drive,
              >and possibly moving to Linux in the future), but I'm stumbling on one
              >feature where I can't find a decent replacement:
              >
              >Text comparison. I tried OpenOffice.org. I tried a number of specialized
              >text comparison tools. They all proved unsatisfactory -- mostly by an
              >inability to pinpoint the exact difference. This is a feature in which
              >MS-Word shines. I can open a HTML formatted file, run a compare with the
              >original plain-text file and it will pinpoint the changed words, if any.
              >
              >Many of the tools I found, though, seem to be geared towards programmers
              >-- thus, they tend to do line-by-line comparison, and are totally
              >flummoxed by simple things like a different word-wrapping width. Others
              >just can't handle insertions or deletions more than a few words long
              >-- they can't seem to "resync" the text lower down. And few offer the
              >option to display results in what Word calls the "legal blackline" format.
              >
              >Most will only work with plain text -- I would prefer one that is able
              >to understand formatted HTML. I'm concerned about the text content first,
              >formatting second.
              >
              >Any suggestions?
              >
              >Marcelo

            • Christopher Chaltain
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2009
                Have you tried IBM Lotus Symphony? It's a free word processor. We use it at
                the office, and I've heard people complain that change tracking isn't as
                good as Word's, but it may be worth looking at.

                --
                Christopher
                chaltain@...

                _____