Re: [NTB] dear

  • loro
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
      ><DIV>Hello,<BR>
      > One of my friends bought an iphone from a website:

      Spam! Spam! Where is Julie at? ;-)

      Is this a spamming virus? Notice that one of the addresses it's sent
      to is nlplay-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Funny!

      Lotta
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
        Spiders harvest email addresses to perform their master's bidding. Unsubscribe email addresses look exactly like any
        other email address to them. When people send email messages with lots of recipients, in the open (not bcc), spiders
        gobble up all the email addresses and forward them to the spammers. We all know the result. The amazing thing is that
        spammers wouldn't do that if idiots wouldn't respond to the spam. I don't find spammers at fault, I find those idiots
        that make it profitable responsible. Spammers couldn't afford to run, if their ploys didn't work.
        John

        > One of my friends bought an iphone from a website:

        Spam! Spam! Where is Julie at? ;-)

        Is this a spamming virus? Notice that one of the addresses it's sent
        to is nlplay-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nlplay-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> . Funny!

        Lotta

      • loro
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
          John Shotsky wrote:
          >Spiders harvest email addresses to perform their master's bidding.
          >Unsubscribe email addresses look exactly like any
          >other email address to them. When people send email messages with
          >lots of recipients, in the open (not bcc), spiders
          >gobble up all the email addresses and forward them to the spammers.
          >We all know the result.

          Yeah, but you must be subscribed to the list to be able to post. In
          fact legit posts have been made from that address even if it's been
          4-5 years since they last posted. Me thinks Gez has a virus.

          Lotta
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
            --- On Thu, 8/27/09, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > spammers wouldn't do that if idiots wouldn't respond to the spam.
            > I don't find spammers at fault, I find those idiots that make it
            > profitable responsible. Spammers couldn't afford to run, if their
            > ploys didn't work.

            While that's true, I don't like the solution much either: Charging 'postage' on eMails and pricing spam out of the market. Because if you expect people not to fall for a bargain I fear you are asking them to go against an 'hard-wired' trait or attribute that has got the human race where it is today - at the top of the pile.

            fw
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
              The solution is not 'postage', it is 'education'. The minute no one will respond to a spam email is the moment that
              spammers will move on to something else. They are preying on ignorance.
              John

              > spammers wouldn't do that if idiots wouldn't respond to the spam.
              > I don't find spammers at fault, I find those idiots that make it
              > profitable responsible. Spammers couldn't afford to run, if their
              > ploys didn't work.

              While that's true, I don't like the solution much either: Charging 'postage' on eMails and pricing spam out of the
              market. Because if you expect people not to fall for a bargain I fear you are asking them to go against an 'hard-wired'
              trait or attribute that has got the human race where it is today - at the top of the pile.

              fw

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
                At 8/26/2009 10:27 PM, loro wrote:

                > ><DIV>Hello,<BR>
                > > One of my friends bought an iphone from a website:
                >
                >Spam! Spam! Where is Julie at? ;-)

                Right here... and it's gone from the web and the poster's on moderation.

                Couldn't figure how I managed to let something like that through and
                then I realized the scenario mentioned below (or above as the case
                may be) and relaxed. :)

                Julie
              • fw7oaks
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
                  --- On Thu, 8/27/09, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

                  > The solution is not 'postage', it is 'education'. The minute no
                  > one will respond to a spam email is the moment that spammers will
                  > move on to something else. They are preying on ignorance.

                  I'd hoped I'd already made it clear I don't favor 'postage' but the economics of the situation suggest to me, at least, that 'education' is a non-starter.

                  Assume at the moment the spammer is sending 100,000 eMails and gets 100 sales, assume education drops his sales to 5, a twenty-fold reduction because, other than his or her time the operation is still profitable and will continue to be done. Put 1 cent postage on each mail and the costs have risen to $1000 or each sale is ten bucks less profitable. That changes behavior

                  fw.
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
                    Good point, that is how we got rid of excessive drinking and sexually
                    transmitted diseases as well. I'll now copy the off topic list where we
                    can continue our discussion if we wish. Please discontinue discussion
                    on the main notetab list if you would.