Re: [NTB] Re: Previous versions of NoteTab

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
      Rod Dav4is (dav4is@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-08-15 at 20:50):
      > It's not the Start menu that concerns me, it's the Control Panel /
      > Programs and Features (previously Add/Remove programs) has two
      > entries,
      > one for Notetab Std 5 and one for Notetab Std 6. What happens if I
      > delete the V5 one?
      > *re on steroids:* More like "on crack"

      Hi Rod:
      I just checked my own system and I have some entries for both Notetab 5
      and 6 (actually 7 because I have Notetab Light, Standard and Pro - all
      v6 and also a Notetab Pro 4.95 I keep around for the odd time I want to
      compare how "old" regex worked).

      On my system the v6 entries point to where I currently have Notetab 6
      installed: "D:\Program Files\Notetabs\NoteTab Std"
      The Notetab Std 5 entry points to the previous (and no longer valid
      location) where I used to keep Notetab 5: "D:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5"

      Probably, just clicking Uninstall on the Notetab Std 5 will work - If as
      I suspect it points to an old no longer existing location I think it
      will just remove the entry from the Registry (possibly after giving a
      warning message that the uninstall program can't be found).

      You might want to get (free) Revo Uninstaller:
      http://www.revouninstaller.com/
      When you right-click on its Notetab Std 5 entry you'll see that [Install
      Location] option is grayed out but that the [Remove Entry] (ie. from
      Registry) is enabled. Revo Uninstaller also has options to locate (and
      optionally remove) left-behind "stuff" in both the Registry and on disk.

      Having done that you *might* want to make a copy of the full %progfiles%
      folder for Notetab Std 6, uninstall it (using Revo), reinstall it at
      (say) C:\Program Files\Notetabs\Notetab Std\ (or just C:\Notetab Std\ if
      you've no interest in ever using the free Light version), then after
      reinstallation just copy the full contents of your backed up
      %progfiles%\Notetab Std 6\ folder to where you reinstalled.

      Note: no real need to do any of the above except for "tidiness" and to
      prevent possible subsequent confusion - the existence of a an unusable
      extra entry in the Registry has no effect on how Notetab operates.
      Possible exception is that you might have file associations that still
      point to old Notetab Std 5 but if you haven't run into them yet their
      probably aren't any.

      Hope this helps rather than confuses!