Re: [NTB] Re: Previous versions of NoteTab

  • Rod Dav4is
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
      It's not the Start menu that concerns me, it's the Control Panel /
      Programs and Features (previously Add/Remove programs) has two entries,
      one for Notetab Std 5 and one for Notetab Std 6. What happens if I
      delete the V5 one?
      *re on steroids:* More like "on crack"

      -R.

      ebbtidalflats wrote:
      > Since there seems to be a lack of answers from knowlegable Vista users, let me attempt an XP answer (since Vista is merely a Windows XP on steroids anyway).
      >
      > If you see the two version in the Start Menu, you can just delete the unwanted entry in the Start Menu. Don;t know exactly how Vista will allow this, but in XP I change to administrator, open Explorer to the "Documents and Settings" folder (folders view is best for this), and look in the specific user folder's "Start Menu" until I find the desired entry. If not there, look under "All Users" as well.
      >
      > As administrator you can delete the undesired entry. This will NOT delete the program, just its entry in the start menu.
      >
      > WEASEL CLAUSE: if you screw up your computer, don't come back to me. I do not own Vista, and never will, except perhaps as a stepping stone to 7.
      >

      > Eb
      >
      > Cheers AFTER.
      >
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Rod Dav4is <dav4is@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I notice that my Vista Programs and Features has two versions of
      >> NoteTab, V5 and V6, but that the is a single folder (NoteTab) in Program
      >> Files. I'd like to get rid of that V5 reference in Programs, but what
      >> will that do to the V6 I am using?
      >>
      >> --
      >> Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
      >> Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
      >> 538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
      >> New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
      >> Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
      >> email: DAV4IS@...
      >> A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
      >> bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
      >> -unknown

      Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
      Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
      538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
      New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
      Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
      email: DAV4IS@...
      A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
      bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
      -unknown
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
        Rod Dav4is (dav4is@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-08-15 at 20:50):
        > It's not the Start menu that concerns me, it's the Control Panel /
        > Programs and Features (previously Add/Remove programs) has two
        > entries,
        > one for Notetab Std 5 and one for Notetab Std 6. What happens if I
        > delete the V5 one?
        > *re on steroids:* More like "on crack"

        Hi Rod:
        I just checked my own system and I have some entries for both Notetab 5
        and 6 (actually 7 because I have Notetab Light, Standard and Pro - all
        v6 and also a Notetab Pro 4.95 I keep around for the odd time I want to
        compare how "old" regex worked).

        On my system the v6 entries point to where I currently have Notetab 6
        installed: "D:\Program Files\Notetabs\NoteTab Std"
        The Notetab Std 5 entry points to the previous (and no longer valid
        location) where I used to keep Notetab 5: "D:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5"

        Probably, just clicking Uninstall on the Notetab Std 5 will work - If as
        I suspect it points to an old no longer existing location I think it
        will just remove the entry from the Registry (possibly after giving a
        warning message that the uninstall program can't be found).

        You might want to get (free) Revo Uninstaller:
        http://www.revouninstaller.com/
        When you right-click on its Notetab Std 5 entry you'll see that [Install
        Location] option is grayed out but that the [Remove Entry] (ie. from
        Registry) is enabled. Revo Uninstaller also has options to locate (and
        optionally remove) left-behind "stuff" in both the Registry and on disk.

        Having done that you *might* want to make a copy of the full %progfiles%
        folder for Notetab Std 6, uninstall it (using Revo), reinstall it at
        (say) C:\Program Files\Notetabs\Notetab Std\ (or just C:\Notetab Std\ if
        you've no interest in ever using the free Light version), then after
        reinstallation just copy the full contents of your backed up
        %progfiles%\Notetab Std 6\ folder to where you reinstalled.

        Note: no real need to do any of the above except for "tidiness" and to
        prevent possible subsequent confusion - the existence of a an unusable
        extra entry in the Registry has no effect on how Notetab operates.
        Possible exception is that you might have file associations that still
        point to old Notetab Std 5 but if you haven't run into them yet their
        probably aren't any.

        Hope this helps rather than confuses!