Re: Previous versions of NoteTab

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
      Since there seems to be a lack of answers from knowlegable Vista users, let me attempt an XP answer (since Vista is merely a Windows XP on steroids anyway).

      If you see the two version in the Start Menu, you can just delete the unwanted entry in the Start Menu. Don;t know exactly how Vista will allow this, but in XP I change to administrator, open Explorer to the "Documents and Settings" folder (folders view is best for this), and look in the specific user folder's "Start Menu" until I find the desired entry. If not there, look under "All Users" as well.

      As administrator you can delete the undesired entry. This will NOT delete the program, just its entry in the start menu.

      WEASEL CLAUSE: if you screw up your computer, don't come back to me. I do not own Vista, and never will, except perhaps as a stepping stone to 7.

      Eb

      Cheers AFTER.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Rod Dav4is <dav4is@...> wrote:

      > I notice that my Vista Programs and Features has two versions of
      > NoteTab, V5 and V6, but that the is a single folder (NoteTab) in Program
      > Files. I'd like to get rid of that V5 reference in Programs, but what
      > will that do to the V6 I am using?
      >
      > --
      > Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
      > Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
      > 538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
      > New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
      > Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
      > email: DAV4IS@...
      > A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
      > bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
      > -unknown

    • Rod Dav4is
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
        It's not the Start menu that concerns me, it's the Control Panel /
        Programs and Features (previously Add/Remove programs) has two entries,
        one for Notetab Std 5 and one for Notetab Std 6. What happens if I
        delete the V5 one?
        *re on steroids:* More like "on crack"

        -R.

        ebbtidalflats wrote:
        > Since there seems to be a lack of answers from knowlegable Vista users, let me attempt an XP answer (since Vista is merely a Windows XP on steroids anyway).
        >
        > If you see the two version in the Start Menu, you can just delete the unwanted entry in the Start Menu. Don;t know exactly how Vista will allow this, but in XP I change to administrator, open Explorer to the "Documents and Settings" folder (folders view is best for this), and look in the specific user folder's "Start Menu" until I find the desired entry. If not there, look under "All Users" as well.
        >
        > As administrator you can delete the undesired entry. This will NOT delete the program, just its entry in the start menu.
        >
        > WEASEL CLAUSE: if you screw up your computer, don't come back to me. I do not own Vista, and never will, except perhaps as a stepping stone to 7.
        >

        > Eb
        >
        > Cheers AFTER.
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Rod Dav4is <dav4is@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I notice that my Vista Programs and Features has two versions of
        >> NoteTab, V5 and V6, but that the is a single folder (NoteTab) in Program
        >> Files. I'd like to get rid of that V5 reference in Programs, but what
        >> will that do to the V6 I am using?
        >>
        >> --
        >> Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
        >> Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
        >> 538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
        >> New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
        >> Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
        >> email: DAV4IS@...
        >> A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
        >> bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
        >> -unknown

        Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
        Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
        538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
        New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
        Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
        email: DAV4IS@...
        A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
        bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
        -unknown
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
          Rod Dav4is (dav4is@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-08-15 at 20:50):
          > It's not the Start menu that concerns me, it's the Control Panel /
          > Programs and Features (previously Add/Remove programs) has two
          > entries,
          > one for Notetab Std 5 and one for Notetab Std 6. What happens if I
          > delete the V5 one?
          > *re on steroids:* More like "on crack"

          Hi Rod:
          I just checked my own system and I have some entries for both Notetab 5
          and 6 (actually 7 because I have Notetab Light, Standard and Pro - all
          v6 and also a Notetab Pro 4.95 I keep around for the odd time I want to
          compare how "old" regex worked).

          On my system the v6 entries point to where I currently have Notetab 6
          installed: "D:\Program Files\Notetabs\NoteTab Std"
          The Notetab Std 5 entry points to the previous (and no longer valid
          location) where I used to keep Notetab 5: "D:\Program Files\NoteTab Std 5"

          Probably, just clicking Uninstall on the Notetab Std 5 will work - If as
          I suspect it points to an old no longer existing location I think it
          will just remove the entry from the Registry (possibly after giving a
          warning message that the uninstall program can't be found).

          You might want to get (free) Revo Uninstaller:
          http://www.revouninstaller.com/
          When you right-click on its Notetab Std 5 entry you'll see that [Install
          Location] option is grayed out but that the [Remove Entry] (ie. from
          Registry) is enabled. Revo Uninstaller also has options to locate (and
          optionally remove) left-behind "stuff" in both the Registry and on disk.

          Having done that you *might* want to make a copy of the full %progfiles%
          folder for Notetab Std 6, uninstall it (using Revo), reinstall it at
          (say) C:\Program Files\Notetabs\Notetab Std\ (or just C:\Notetab Std\ if
          you've no interest in ever using the free Light version), then after
          reinstallation just copy the full contents of your backed up
          %progfiles%\Notetab Std 6\ folder to where you reinstalled.

          Note: no real need to do any of the above except for "tidiness" and to
          prevent possible subsequent confusion - the existence of a an unusable
          extra entry in the Registry has no effect on how Notetab operates.
          Possible exception is that you might have file associations that still
          point to old Notetab Std 5 but if you haven't run into them yet their
          probably aren't any.

          Hope this helps rather than confuses!