Re: [NTB] Re: Replace MS Notepad (in 6.12/fv)

  • Rod Dav4is
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
      YUK! :-(
      Any idea when that will be made available in Vista? Vista is enough of
      an abomination without otherwise useful applications like NoteTab going
      AWOL!

      Sheri wrote:
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Rod Dav4is <dav4is@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I have just had occasion to set up a new PC -- of necessity!
      >> It's a Presario, running Vista, of course! :o(
      >> On installing NoteTab, I looked for the command on the Help menu to
      >> Replace MS Notepad, and it's not there! Nor is the inverse (Restore...).
      >> There is an Open in MS Notepad when viewing the WhatsNew.txt.
      >>
      >> What now?
      >>
      >> -R.
      >>

      > See the "FAQ" page in the NoteTab help file. It says that feature is not currently available in Vista. However, you can use the "Associations" tab in Options (provided you haven't disabled "Advanced Features") to associate NoteTab with txt files.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri

      Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
      Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
      538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
      New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
      Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
      email: DAV4IS@...
      A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
      bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
      -unknown
    • Rod Dav4is
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
        OK, I realize that was an unfair criticism of NoteTab. It's just another
        example of how Vista is an abomination.

        Rod Dav4is wrote:
        > YUK! :-(
        > Any idea when that will be made available in Vista? Vista is enough of
        > an abomination without otherwise useful applications like NoteTab
        > going AWOL!
        >
        > Sheri wrote:
        >> --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Rod Dav4is <dav4is@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I have just had occasion to set up a new PC -- of necessity!
        >>> It's a Presario, running Vista, of course! :o(
        >>> On installing NoteTab, I looked for the command on the Help menu to
        >>> Replace MS Notepad, and it's not there! Nor is the inverse
        >>> (Restore...). There is an Open in MS Notepad when viewing the
        >>> WhatsNew.txt.
        >>>
        >>> What now?
        >>>
        >>> -R.
        >>>

        >> See the "FAQ" page in the NoteTab help file. It says that feature is
        >> not currently available in Vista. However, you can use the
        >> "Associations" tab in Options (provided you haven't disabled
        >> "Advanced Features") to associate NoteTab with txt files.
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >> Sheri

        Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
        Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
        538 ancestral & collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
        New England & European roots. Total population: 136,000+
        Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
        email: DAV4IS@...
        A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The
        bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
        -unknown
      • loro
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
          Rod Dav4is wrote:
          >YUK! :-(
          >Any idea when that will be made available in Vista?

          I'm just guessing here, but the only thing I can think of that file
          associations won't fix is View Source in IE. If that's what you want
          and don't want to hack the registry manually, try this little tool (free).
          <http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/>

          Lotta