Problem with search/replace

  • mikegrant65@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
      I have noticed an odd bug with search/replace in NoteTab Light 6.12

      I perform a lot of search/replaces on text files to change ^L to ^P, and when I do I get the usual message, eg "173 replacement(s) made in text". However - and here is where the bug appears - if I then click "Replace all" again (even though there are no ^L characters to be replaced) I get a message saying the exact same number of replacements have been made. If I then click "Replace all" yet again, as well as the message I get two ^C characters inserted before each ^P character!
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
        mikegrant65@... wrote:
        > I have noticed an odd bug with search/replace in NoteTab Light 6.12
        >
        > I perform a lot of search/replaces on text files to change ^L to ^P, and when I do I get the usual message, eg "173 replacement(s) made in text". However - and here is where the bug appears - if I then click "Replace all" again (even though there are no ^L characters to be replaced) I get a message saying the exact same number of replacements have been made. If I then click "Replace all" yet again, as well as the message I get two ^C characters inserted before each ^P character
        I believe that you are trying to replace Line-feed characters,
        represented by the token ^L, with Paragraph characters, represented by
        the token ^P -- see regular Help, "Find in Files". Since the Paragraph
        character is in fact a carraige-return/line-feed pair, NoteTab always
        will find new Line-feeds to replace. If you're trying to do something
        different, let us know, and I'm sure someone will have a solution for that.
      • loro
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
          Don Daugherty wrote:
          >mikegrant65@... wrote:
          > > I have noticed an odd bug with search/replace in NoteTab Light 6.12
          > >
          > > I perform a lot of search/replaces on text files to change ^L to
          > ^P, and when I do I get the usual message, eg "173 replacement(s)
          > made in text". However - and here is where the bug appears - if I
          > then click "Replace all" again (even though there are no ^L
          > characters to be replaced) I get a message saying the exact same
          > number of replacements have been made. If I then click "Replace
          > all" yet again, as well as the message I get two ^C characters
          > inserted before each ^P character
          >I believe that you are trying to replace Line-feed characters,
          >represented by the token ^L, with Paragraph characters, represented by
          >the token ^P -- see regular Help, "Find in Files". Since the Paragraph
          >character is in fact a carraige-return/line-feed pair, NoteTab always
          >will find new Line-feeds to replace. If you're trying to do something
          >different, let us know, and I'm sure someone will have a solution for that.

          IIRC it will work if you do a disk search. Or should I call it disk
          replace? Ctrl +D. The easiest is to use File | Export and export in
          Windows format.

          If it hasn't changed in the latest version, haven't kept up, Notetab
          will always use Windows line endings when displaying a document even
          if it's saved in another format.

          Lotta
        • mikegrant65@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2009
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

            > The easiest is to use File | Export and export in
            > Windows format.

            Thanks! This is what I should have been doing from the start I see now that I have tried it.